Guard duos in the Big Ten

DeathClutch

Reaction score
Am I that far off base think that a Mathieu/Hollins duo is as good of a duo as Walton/Levert? Debating this on another board and most people think it's crazy to even compare Mathieu/Hollins to the almighty Walton/Levert.

It's not a slam dunk no that's for damn sure. Math is as good as anyone in the b1g from a pg perspective. Hollins healthy vs Lavert is likely more about preference than ability.

Am I that far off base think that a Mathieu/Hollins duo is as good of a duo as Walton/Levert? Debating this on another board and most people think it's crazy to even compare Mathieu/Hollins to the almighty Walton/Levert.

Depends on which version of Hollins we're getting this season. If Sophomore Andre shows up this year, I think our backcourt is right on par with Walton/Levert and perhaps one of the top 2-3 backcourts in the whole conference! If Junior Andre stays around for another year, then yeah, the comparison to the Michigan backcourt is just silly.

Dre's health is a key factor in this. Mathieu should be among the very best PGs in the conference. If we get sophomore Dre (ie Memphis game), then our backcourt will be looking good. Add in an already impressive Squirrel and we should be pretty solid at the 1-3. But it all comes back to Dre's healthy, especially since he is also our back up PG. If he misses time or is ineffective, we are going to be looking pretty shaky.

Depends on which version of Hollins we're getting this season. If Sophomore Andre shows up this year, I think our backcourt is right on par with Walton/Levert and perhaps one of the top 2-3 backcourts in the whole conference! If Junior Andre stays around for another year, then yeah, the comparison to the Michigan backcourt is just silly.

Andre was averaging 16.2ppg before he went down in the Wisconsin game. It was clear the he wasn't at 100% the last part of the season. Health will be a huge factor, but it's not like he was terrible before he got injured.

Andre was averaging 16.2ppg before he went down in the Wisconsin game. It was clear the he wasn't at 100% the last part of the season. Health will be a huge factor, but it's not like he was terrible before he got injured.

He also played like horse**** against Syracuse, Arkansas, and Florida State, and a few b1g 10 games while healthy.

We need Sophomore Andre Hollins do do the damage we all hope this team can do next year.

best backcourts

Ohio St. should start 2 McDonald's all americans. I am going 2 starters and 1 backup.
1. Scott, Russell, and K. williams
2. Walton, Levert, and Spike
3. Dre, Dre, and McNeil
4. Jackson, Gasser, and Koenig

Our backcourt can play with anyone's especially offensively. Levert's Defense probably seperates him from Dre Hollins. Deandre is as good as any big ten pg.

Ohio St. should start 2 McDonald's all americans. I am going 2 starters and 1 backup.
3. Dre, Dre, and McNeil

Our backcourt can play with anyone's especially offensively. Levert's Defense probably seperates him from Dre Hollins. Deandre is as good as any big ten pg.

Maryland will have a good backcourt with McD's All-American Romelo Trimble and Dez Wells. Indiana as well. But I agree. If Andre is firing on all cylinders, their is no reason our backcourt can't be as productive as any in the Big Ten.

3. Dre, Dre, and McNeil

Not sure what you're comparing, because Nate Mason will back up the PG guard spot and play some 2-guard (unless you include wing as a third guard, in which case it's Dre, Dre, and Morris for us, with McNeil also in the mix).

I'd take Wisconsin's backcourt over Ohio State's next year. Experience matters a lot. Michigan (you forgot Irvin) and Wiscy are in great shape, Gophers could be right there with them if "good Andre" shows up.

Dre's health is a key factor in this. Mathieu should be among the very best PGs in the conference. If we get sophomore Dre (ie Memphis game), then our backcourt will be looking good. Add in an already impressive Squirrel and we should be pretty solid at the 1-3. But it all comes back to Dre's healthy, especially since he is also our back up PG. If he misses time or is ineffective, we are going to be looking pretty shaky.

????

Read: http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2014/06/22/former-gopher-trevor-mbakwe-on-the-program/

A source told me this weekend that Morris was “playing great” and proving to be a “tremendous passer.” He’s also really starting to build chemistry with Mathieu, a fellow junior college transfer. That’s a good sign since Morris, Mathieu and Andre Hollins are the Gophers’ probable starting backcourt trio for the upcoming season.

Pollyanna, before you hang his jersey on the wall, take a look at his assist to turnover ratio in 59 JUCO games. I think he's a good passer, but to say he's a tremendous passer is certainly an exaggeration. Plenty of time to determine if he is better than three year B1G starter Austin Hollins as you have stated on numerous occasions, or if in fact he is a below average B1G wing. The B1G is too unforgiving, to get caught up in summertime hype.

I was going with starting pg and sg, then first guard off the bench. Starting SF not counting which is what i believe Irvin will be and Morris. Wisconsin could be a little low they aren't very good on stopping dribble penetration. I forgot about Maryland they would be in the top 5. Levert reminds me a lot of Russell Westbrook a low rated sleeper for UCLA who was a tremendous athlete. It wouldn't suprise me to see him put up 18+ next year.

Not sure what you're comparing, because Nate Mason will back up the PG guard spot and play some 2-guard (unless you include wing as a third guard, in which case it's Dre, Dre, and Morris for us, with McNeil also in the mix).

I'd take Wisconsin's backcourt over Ohio State's next year. Experience matters a lot. Michigan (you forgot Irvin) and Wiscy are in great shape, Gophers could be right there with them if "good Andre" shows up.

Pollyanna, before you hang his jersey on the wall, take a look at his assist to turnover ratio in 59 JUCO games. I think he's a good passer, but to say he's a tremendous passer is certainly an exaggeration. Plenty of time to determine if he is better than three year B1G starter Austin Hollins as you have stated on numerous occasions, or if in fact he is a below average B1G wing. The B1G is too unforgiving, to get caught up in summertime hype.

Find where I said Morris was clearly better. As far as I have ever gone is saying he could be, but obviously no one knows. Just because you continuously claim something without proof doesn't make it true. And second, talk to the source Marcus spoke with, I didn't say he was a tremendous passer, the source did. And I will take the source's insight over yours every day and twice on Sundays.

3. Dre, Dre, and McNeil

I do think OSU's backcourt is being overlooked a bit by some (particularly national pundits that think they should be unranked) but I'm not sure they will be the best in the B1G. Scott will play better this upcoming season now that he can focus on playing PG alone, and probably won't have some of the worst SG's in the B1G in terms of 3-point shooting playing alongside of him like he did last season. Russell and Williams are better shooters than the guys they lost, although Russell can be streaky. Hard to say exactly how the pieces will come together when there is so much unknown, but it's better to have talented although unproven players than experienced players who have shown they can't shoot.

I'm not a big Derrick Walton fan - he was a poor defender last season - so I don't see it as unreasonable to believe that the backcourt combos that Minnesota would put out there is equal to what Michigan would have. Michigan will have a strong wing group with LeVert, Irvin and Chatman, that's where their strength lies no doubt.

Maryland will have a good backcourt with McD's All-American Romelo Trimble and Dez Wells. Indiana as well. But I agree. If Andre is firing on all cylinders, their is no reason our backcourt can't be as productive as any in the Big Ten.

Good points. Maryland and IU could have the top 2 backcourts in the Big Ten if their new talent plays like they are supposed to.

I wouldn't sleep on the Illini backcourt either, young, but when they put the freshmen in, that's when their season turned around last year

Michigan

Levert is my favorite for Big Ten player of the year. Looking at how Stauskus became the go to guy after being a 3rd or 4th option the year before, I can see Levert and the type of offense Beilein runs making this happen. Not a huge Walton fan, but a big Levert fan who plays on both ends. Wisconsin should win the big ten but neither Kaminsky or Dekker will put up the numbers to take the individual title.

I'm not a big Derrick Walton fan - he was a poor defender last season - so I don't see it as unreasonable to believe that the backcourt combos that Minnesota would put out there is equal to what Michigan would have. Michigan will have a strong wing group with LeVert, Irvin and Chatman, that's where their strength lies no doubt.

Top Bottom