Sid: Forget about basketball arena being built any time soon

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Gophers facilities update

If there was any chance of a new Gophers basketball arena being built soon, forget about it now, because the University of Minnesota is spending $7.5 million to put a new roof on Williams Arena, with the work having started this summer.

The Gophers athletic department has appropriated $1 million for a new scoreboard in the Sports Pavilion. And the basketball court in the Bierman Building is getting a bandage renovation with the addition of a new scoreboard, some graphics and a new men’s locker room in the lower level of the gym.

Incidentally, the word is that the university athletic department will show a $1.9 million profit for this past academic year.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/264123251.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

An arena or a practice facility? The headline and article don't jive, not that I want to question a 94-year old's accuracy. I think he's referring to the roof meaning no new arena discussion for awhile, which is non-news since there wasn't going to be any for many years anyway. I fail to see how this scuttles the practice facility.

An arena or a practice facility? The headline and article don't jive, not that I want to question a 94-year old's accuracy. I think he's referring to the roof meaning no new arena discussion for awhile, which is non-news since there wasn't going to be any for many years anyway. I fail to see how this scuttles the practice facility.

He wasn't trying to scuttle the practice facility. He was clearly talking about Williams. As for a misleading headline, it clearly states "basketball arena" not "basketball practice facility"

He wasn't trying to scuttle the practice facility. He was clearly talking about Williams. As for a misleading headline, it clearly states "basketball arena" not "basketball practice facility"

Yeah. I think the headline of this thread is now clarified. Thanks.

I was reading Sid long before most of you were born.

The keyword is 'was'.

Sid is a dick, but he's our dick. He's the mean, edgy, senile Harry Carey of the Minnesota sports scene. In an age of boring, PC, ESPN wanna-be sports writers, Sid is one of a kind & I'll miss him when he's gone.

Sid is a dick, but he's our dick. He's the mean, edgy, senile Harry Carey of the Minnesota sports scene. In an age of boring, PC, ESPN wanna-be sports writers, Sid is one of a kind & I'll miss him when he's gone.

True but I've got his bobble-head above my desk as I type. Is that too lofty of a place?:confused:

The writers of articles dont choose the headlines-oddly enough.

True but I've got his bobble-head above my desk as I type. Is that too lofty of a place?:confused:

Honestly, if sit near Sid, his real head kind of bobbles...so lets just call it the Sid Doll with real life kungfu grip.

Hasn't Teague said the long-range plan is to essentially rebuild Williams from the inside out? Keep the exterior the same, but re-do the concourses, concession stands, etc? The trick would be timing the work around the season. And the other question is whether they could do something to improve sight lines with some of the obstructed seats. I still like Williams as a place to watch a game. Of course, the newer arenas have more bells and whistles, but I go to a game to watch the game - not for all of the ancillary stuff.

A new arena means higher ticket prices, so I'm good.

Did you enjoy American Pie the Reunion?

Top Bottom