Q&A: Alex Illikainen Talks Recruiting, Plans on Playing Small Forward in College

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Alex Illikainen Talks Recruiting, Plans on Playing Small Forward in College
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/396806?referrer_id=331171

Alex Illikainen, a 6-9, 210-pound rising senior, announced Tuesday that he is transferring from Grand Rapids to prep power Brewster Academy. Illikainen had been considered one of the top players in the state in the Class of 2015 and leading candidate for Minnesota's Mr. Basketball. He is thought to be a very important recruit for head coach Richard Pitino.

Illikainen helped lead Grand Rapids to a 16-10 mark this season, but they missed making their fourth straight appearance in the Class AAA state boy's basketball tournament, losing to Hermantown 53-47 in the section semifinals.

Illikainen recently to Gopher Hole to learn the latest on his recruitment and his summer plans.

Gopher Hole: Are you planning on going to any college or individual camps the next couple of months?

Alex Illikainen: This week I am at the Top 100 Camp (Charlottesville, Virginia).

Gopher Hole: What are you hoping to show in that type of event?

Alex Illikainen: Just show my versatility. Show that I can play inside and out. Show that I can defend a guard and a big guy. I think that they look at that a lot and you have got to be able to defend, so that is probably the biggest things.

Gopher Hole: You have shot the ball really well in the EYBL. What was the most threes you even made in a game high-school wise?

Alex Illikainen: One. I made 11 threes this high school season. I didn't shoot very many, but a lot of it was just shooting a lot and getting the confidence. The Pulley coaches had great confidence in me. I kind of showed that I could shoot it. Now I just don't think about it.

Gopher Hole: You made six three-pointers in one game. That was half of what you did this high school season.

Alex Illikainen: I think that I made more threes that weekend than I did the whole high school season.

Gopher Hole: Do you like that you have had a chance to showcase a little bit more of the game because that is something you'll be asked to do at the collegiate level?

Alex Illikainen: I am going to be small (forward) in college. I have got to be able to shoot. I have got to be able to drive and defend.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought much more about when you are going to try to decide on a school? Will you try to sign in the fall or have you thought that far ahead yet?

Alex Illikainen: I am probably going to narrow it down after Peach Jam, kind of in that August period and then figure out visits and that kind of stuff.

Gopher Hole: You already visited California and still have four official visits left. Do you know what schools you definitely want to visit?

Alex Illikainen: Not sure about the four that I am going to visit because there are a couple that I might have to leave out, but I'll definitely figure that out.

Gopher Hole: When you finally make that decision what are going to be the main factors that make you pick School A over School B or C?

Alex Illikainen: Relationship with the coaches. I have a great relationship with pretty much every coach that I have been recruited by and after that, the character of the guys and the school. The atmosphere and that kind of stuff.

Gopher Hole: You visited Cal. Have you talked to their new staff?

Alex Illikainen: I have talked to all the coaches on the staff. I don't know quite where I stand with them, but I have definitely talked to them.

Gopher Hole: Any new offers or are you pretty much hearing from the same schools?

Alex Illikainen: Same schools.

Gopher Hole: Are you still open to new schools?

Alex Illikainen: Absolutely. Absolutely. I am definitely not denying any schools because I want to make sure I pick the right school at the end of the day.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest you are hearing from the Gophers?

Alex Illikainen: I am hearing a lot from the Gophers. I am going to try to get down there and see the place again when I can. Good things and we'll see how it goes from there.

Gopher Hole: What were your impressions of their N.I.T. run?

Alex Illikainen: It was great. First year, coming in, I mean you can always go into the NCAA Tournament and lose the first game and no one really remembers you, but if you win the N.I.T. it is still a big deal. Great year for Coach Pitino and the staff and the team. It was a great honor.

you might be right

Be nice to have the Gopher questions included but without the focus of the interview being on the decision to leave home and go to
a prep school...it seems a pretty mundane to pointless read. I'd agree GIP, it certainly seems to point to going elsewhere to college.

I would be a little bit surprised if Alex is a small forward in college and after reading the article it doesn't seem like he was alluding to playing small forward in college but more acknowledging that he may be a smaller power forward and have to play more on the perimeter than other power forwards might.

Sounds like a misnomer as anyone who has seen him play says stretch 4, meaning face up four on offense instead of back to the basket 4. He may have some small forward offensive skills but i highly doubt he could guard 6'5" division 1 small forwards.

Be nice to have the Gopher questions included but without the focus of the interview being on the decision to leave home and go to
a prep school...it seems a pretty mundane to pointless read. I'd agree GIP, it certainly seems to point to going elsewhere to college.

From what Chris said in the other thread, he had the article written before the announcement, but had to re-write it.

I recently interviewed Alex Illikainen and typed up the notes Monday night and sent the story to be posted. Of course, he announces that he is leaving for Brewster Academy the next morning, which mean I have to re-write the story before it is posted.

Personally, I'd love to read the original interview.

Most of them have been when the kid attracts national attention. Really don't tell you anything, but they love the attention while being careful not to hurt our feelings.

...but they love the attention while being careful not to hurt our feelings.

This is a great description of every big-name recruit (football and basketball) that ends up elsewhere.

"Oh yeah, I love Minnesota. Gotta give a shout-out to the home town team."

my apologies to Chris

From what Chris said in the other thread, he had the article written before the announcement, but had to re-write it.

I wasn't aware he talked to Alex without knowing he was going to prep school...had to be some answers to questions that made him go hmmm?...
anything related to "his high school team" How would like to be his MN high school coach? He may need crisis care.

Prep schools are an annoying entity.

+1

Are there any rules governing prep schools recruiting, or does anything go as long as they preserve the player's NCAA eligibility? (which presumably would exclude cash payments as the NCAA would then consider the player a pro?)

Somebody should start one of these national prep schools in Minnesota. Or Shattuck should start a basketball program.

This bear has tasted McDonald's. He won't be settling to stay in the forest.

This bear has tasted McDonald's. He won't be settling to stay in the forest.

Good thing there is a McD's in Dinkytown.

You people need to relax, this isn't ideal IMO, but it in no way means he has scratched the Gophers off his list.

Top Bottom