Q&A: Virginia Beach SF Chris Clarke Talks About Recent Visit to Gophers Campus

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Virginia Beach SF Chris Clarke Talks About Recent Visit to Gophers Campus
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/396468?referrer_id=331171

Chris Clarke, a 6-foot-6 small forward from Virginia Beach (VA) Cape Henry, is one of the nation's most well-rounded players. Clarke was named first team All-Tidewater and was the Tidewater Conference Player of the Year after he averaged 18.2 points, 10 rebounds, seven assists and three steals this past year.

Clarke helped pace Cape Henry to a 26-1 mark this past season, losing to Fairfax (VA) Paul VI Catholic 64-56 in the VISAA Division 1 state championship game. Paul VI is led by Minnesota recruiting target Kevin Dorsey.

Clarke will be asked to be more of a leader as a senior with the graduation loss of Jimmy Paige, who averaged 13.4 points and seven rebounds and signed with Siena and Ayron Hutton, who averaged 16 points and signed with Quinnipiac.

Clarke helped lead the Boo Williams AAU program to a 2-2 mark in Eagan over Memorial Day weekend and a 9-7 record overall, which will advance them to the Peach Jam in July. He averaged 12.5 points, 7.6 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game. Clarke shot 60% from the field and 56.8% from the charity stripe in his 16 EYBL games this spring.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with Clarke to learn the latest on his recruitment as he currently holds offers from Minnesota, Maryland, Kansas State, Creighton and many more.

Gopher Hole: You played very well in Minnesota during the EYBL event and showed off your versatility. Is that something that you take pride in that you can do a little bit of everything?

Chris Clarke: I take pride in defense and offense. Try to shut somebody down and also try to score on them.

Gopher Hole: You played against E1T1 guard Antonio Blakeney, who was really hot in the game against Boo Williams and they switched you on him and you shut him down. Is that something you take pride in being able to take on a big scorer like that?

Chris Clarke: Yes, on our team, I guess that I am supposed to be the lock-down defender, so when someone is getting hot, they will switch me and I'll try to look him down and do the best job I could.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest on your recruitment right now?

Chris Clarke: Tennessee offered the latest, but it is going to steadily right now.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about trying to visit some schools in the next couple of months?

Chris Clarke: I visited Minnesota and Virginia Tech.

Gopher Hole: I know that Minnesota coaches weren't allowed to be there, but what was your impressions?

Chris Clarke: It looked like a nice campus. I didn't really get to see the facilities or the court or anything, so I don't know about that yet.

Gopher Hole: Had ever been to Minnesota before this trip?

Chris Clarke: No.

Gopher Hole: What things are you working on to continue to improve yourself as a player right now?

Chris Clarke: Just discipline on defense. Just winning. Trying to win every game.

Gopher Hole: When you finally do pick a school, what are going to be the main factors that make you pick School A over School B or C?

Chris Clarke: Just the tempo of the team. Playing style and the tempo.

Gopher Hole: Do you come from a basketball family?

Chris Clarke: No, just me.

Gopher Hole: You and your AAU teammate Marcus Evans are also teammates at Cape Henry. How much do you think that helps in the summer and also for your senior season?

Chris Clarke: It helps us a lot because me and him are the leaders of the team and Kenny Williams. Him and I are clicking and we are doing well.

Gopher Hole: I know that Kenny is also getting some looks from Minnesota. Have you talked to him about playing at the same school?

Chris Clarke: We have a lot of the same offers and same interest. We have talked about playing together.

Gopher Hole: Is that something that would appeal to you playing together?

Chris Clarke: Yes, sir.

Top Bottom