Richard Pitino interview with SI's Brian Hamilton

Thanks for posting that dp! RP is polished beyond his years. So good with the media.

Best quote in the story

"The team that just cut down the nets [Connecticut] didn’t have a practice facility. We’re not going to use that as an excuse."

Yes, we need a practice facility, but it's nice to hear the lead dog (Pitino) refusing to use the lack of one as a crutch. That's exactly the tone I'd want/expect to hear from the man at the top, even though we all know he and Teague are working behind the scenes to help bring it to fruition.

His last sentence, "And that just takes time." is totally not understood by the "I want it, and I want it NOW" generation.

We now can practice, go to study hall, do tutors and lift all in the same building. Which is really, really helpful. They need to be able to go to class, go to study hall, meet with their tutors – that’s got to all be accessible. We fixed that, which I was really excited about.

I will not mention the former regime, nor do I want anyone to mention it, but it really seems like Pitino is trying to make the best out of his situation. No practice facility? No problem. I'll just make my own patchwork version.

yep, I've got a man crush on our coach.

I will not mention the former regime, nor do I want anyone to mention it, but it really seems like Pitino is trying to make the best out of his situation. No practice facility? No problem. I'll just make my own patchwork version.

At least not whining about it publicly like his predecessor.

Richard is a star at staying on message. He's consistently said the same things to the same questions, except this is a reporter with a national forum, so most of the readers have likely never heard his answers before. I hope everyone on this board realizes how well he represents our university.

Where is the troll with the definition of Practice Facility at? Explain that to coach.....

"The team that just cut down the nets [Connecticut] didn’t have a practice facility. We’re not going to use that as an excuse."

Yes, we need a practice facility, but it's nice to hear the lead dog (Pitino) refusing to use the lack of one as a crutch. That's exactly the tone I'd want/expect to hear from the man at the top, even though we all know he and Teague are working behind the scenes to help bring it to fruition.

So you can win without a practice facility?

Cant believe it is possible…...

So you can win without a practice facility? Cant believe it is possible…...

Can you win? Of the major conferences, what team has won their leagues crown or even the ncaa tourney without a practice facility(last 10 yrs or so). Serious question, does anyone know?

Can you win? Of the major conferences, what team has won their leagues crown or even the ncaa tourney without a practice facility(last 10 yrs or so). Serious question, does anyone know?

This is a tough one...Connecticut.

At least not whining about it publicly like his predecessor.

I'll reserve judgement until Coach P. and staff have been here 6 years. If they start digging tomorrow, it might be ready by his 3rd year?

With Pitino talking about the need to improve defensively, it reminds me that we haven't discussed Elliott Eliason much (if at all) this offseason. Elliott played really well early in the year, but tailed off badly as Mo Walker emerged. What is Eliason's senior year going to look like? If he could get back to being a shot blocker/rim protector that he was pre-conference and early in conference play last year, he'd be a key component to improving our defense.

With Pitino talking about the need to improve defensively, it reminds me that we haven't discussed Elliott Eliason much (if at all) this offseason. Elliott played really well early in the year, but tailed off badly as Mo Walker emerged. What is Eliason's senior year going to look like? If he could get back to being a shot blocker/rim protector that he was pre-conference and early in conference play last year, he'd be a key component to improving our defense.

I hope that he figures out his limitations in the block and accepts them. If he's got a quick post move that he's confident with, execute it. If he's in a situation where he isn't comfortable, kick the damn ball back out. Don't be in a competition with Mo to score, know your role and be available.

Top Bottom