Dec. 4 pick, Games of Note, Gophers #33

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
To Date: 12-5 (70.6%)
Wednesday's Result: North Carolina -9.5 Michigan State (W, North Carolina 98-63)
Thursday's Selection: UConn -15 BUFFALO
Streak: W-1

Gophers in the RPI: #33 (6th in the Big 10)

Thursday's Games of Note
Butler at Cleveland State (Horizon opener pits the league's likely top 2 teams)
Oral Roberts at NDSU (starting tonight we'll find out if Bison capable of earning Summit's automatic bid)
St. Mary's at Kent State (both mid-major darlings could use a quality win)
UCLA at Texas (Bruins may have a doughnut problem this season)
USC at Oklahoma (tune in to see Blake Griffin)

SS,

Will you add the rest of the Big 10 teams in the RPI in these daily posts.

It would be appreciated.

Thanks.

GV

Sure thing

Here's today's RPI rating, courtesy of Jerry Palm & CollegeRPI.com.

9. Northwestern
15. Wisconsin
16. Illinois
22. Michigan
27. Michigan State
33. Gophers
41. Ohio State
73. Penn State
78. Purdue
81. Iowa
109. Indiana

Wish I knew how those formulas were put together.

Much different numbers on KenPom -

http://kenpom.com/conf.php?y=2009&c=B10&t=p

Sorry I didn't type it out.

Here's today's RPI rating, courtesy of Jerry Palm & CollegeRPI.com.

9. Northwestern
15. Wisconsin
16. Illinois
22. Michigan
27. Michigan State
33. Gophers
41. Ohio State
73. Penn State
78. Purdue
81. Iowa
109. Indiana

Here's CollegeRPI.com's formula

This is an explnation of the core basics.

What is the RPI?
The RPI (Rating Percentage Index) is a measure of strength of schedule and how a team does against that schedule. It does not consider things like margin of victory, only whether or not a team won and where the game was played. It is used by the NCAA as one of their factors in deciding which teams to invite to the NCAA tournament and where to seed them. It was created in 1981 and is maintained by the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Committee. They have always placed a premium on schedule strength when selecting teams for the tournament, so they wanted a relatively simple way to measure that and the RPI was born. This page presents an independent duplication of those ratings.

What is the formula?
The basic formula is 25% team winning percentage (WP), 50% opponents' average winning percentage (OWP), and 25% opponents' opponents' average winning percentage (OOWP).
Beginning with the 2004-05 season, the formula was changed to give more weight to road wins vs home wins. A team's win total for RPI purposes is 1.4 * road wins + neutral site wins + 0.6 * home wins. A team's losses is calculated as 0.6 * road losses + neutral site losses + 1.4 * home losses.

For example, a team that is 4-0 at home and 2-7 on the road has a RPI record of 5.2 wins (1.4 * 2 + 0.6 * 4) and 4.2 losses (0.6 * 7). That means that even though it is 6-7, for RPI purposes, it is above .500 (5.2-4.2).

This "weighted" record is only used for the 25% of the formula that is each team's winning percentage. The regular team records are used to calculate OWP and OOWP.

As always, only games against Division I opponents count in the RPI.

Do you adjust the OWP to account for the fact that they have played the team in question?

Yes. Games against the team in question are ignored.

Does the NCAA make these adjustments too?
Yes.

In the OWP, do you include the records of teams scheduled in the future?
No. A team's is included as an opponent in the calculations only after the game is played. This is because a team's entire schedule is not usually known, mostly due to games added because of in-season and conference tournaments. Also, sometimes games get cancelled.

Do you use the record of an opponent at the time the game is played or at the time the RPI is calculated?
The RPI is always calculated based on current records, not date-of-game records.

If a team plays somebody more than once, is their winning percentage included more than once?
Yes. Once for each time a team plays that opponent. And all games against the team in question are removed from each occurrence of that opponent's record when calculating OWP.

My head is spinning, but basically it's who you played, where you played 'em, who you lost to & who you beat. ... and you want your opponents to do well (except when you play them).

Did Concordia not count, or did it count as a 0, or beating the worst team in the country. I've read multiple things.

Concordia

Does not count in the RPI because it's non-DI. Basically it's a nothing game. Not sure what Sagarin, Pomeroy or others do with games like that.

So when they calculate it, it never happened? Why must so much about this program never have happened.

Top Bottom