BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

RICHARD PITINO, head men's basketball coach
Twitter handle: @MNCoachPitino
Tweets: 428 (as of Tuesday afternoon)
Following: 69
Followers: 26K

Richard Pitino follows 69 people on Twitter, but he said he never reads his tweets because it clouds his mind.

“I have a job to do, and I’ve got to have a great belief in what I’m doing,” Pitino said. “Reading Twitter is just a distraction to that, so I don’t do that.”

Still, he does tweet occasionally.

From May 5 to June 2, eight of his nine tweets were congratulating an athlete or team on its accomplishments.

He tweets about his personal life, too. He announced the birth of his son, Jack, publicly by sharing a picture in April of himself, his daughter and his newborn son.

“Certainly it’s a way to market your program [and] market yourself as a coach, because we’re the heads of these programs and it’s important, so I understand that,” he said.

But he’s also very aware of the potential downsides of the site.

“Sometimes, it becomes too individualistic and Twitter makes you forget about the team a little bit,” Pitino said. “As a coach, and in sports, it’s all about the team, so you’ve got to make sure they understand.”

About once a week, he said, “we’ll put … an article in their locker about somebody [in sports] screwing up because of what they wrote on Twitter.”

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/baseball/2014/06/10/coaches-sound-twitter

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom