Q&A: Allonzo Trier Says Gophers Want to Build Program Around Him; Speaks W/ Kimani

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Allonzo Trier Says Gophers Want to Build Program Around Him; Speaks W/ Kimani

Q&A: Allonzo Trier Says Gophers Want to Build Program Around Him; Says He Speaks With Kimani Young Often
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/394269?referrer_id=331171

Allonzo Trier, a 6-foot-4 shooting guard who announced earlier today that he is transferring to Henderson (NV) Findlay Prep from Rockville (MD) Montrose Christian, is one of the nation's top scorers. Trier leads all scorers in the EYBL with 29.4 points per game (6.9 points more than the second leading scorer).

Trier shot 47.1% from the field, 31.6% from three-point range and 88.5% from the free throw line for Athletes First, who finished 12-4 to advance to the Peach Jam in July.

Trier received a scholarship offer from the Gophers months ago and has since seen his offer list grow as it now includes Louisville, UCLA, UCONN, Kansas and many others.

GopherHole recently caught up with Trier to learn the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: You have been playing extremely well throughout the EYBL series. How pleased are you with your own individual and team's play so far this spring?

Allonzo Trier: I think that I am doing a great job of leading these young guys. We have the youngest team in the league. Seven of our eight guys are sophomores, so we have the youngest team in history of playing. I am just trying to do the best I can to lead us and the best I can to help us get some wins.

Gopher Hole: You are having to score a lot, but you need to do that to help your team win. Is that something you know that you have to do whatever it takes to win?

Allonzo Trier: Yes, definitely. I know that it is important for me to be effective offensively, whether it is scoring the basketball or making teams come and run doubles at me. It makes it a lot easier on them when they are playing four on five and they are able to make plays for each other.

Gopher Hole: I know that you are going out to Colorado Springs to try out for the USA National team. Have you been out there before?

Allonzo Trier: I haven't been out there yet. This will be my first time.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to possibly represent your country?

Allonzo Trier: It would be a great honor. It is a really prestigious thing to do. Not many people have a chance to do it and it is just a blessing.

Gopher Hole: I know that your recruitment is blowing up, especially after coaches could watch you in the open period in April. What schools are you hearing from the most right now?

Allonzo Trier: Arizona, Louisville, UConn, Baylor, Kansas, Memphis, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, N.C. State, Georgetown and Maryland. That is just what I can think of now.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about trying to visit some schools in the next couple of months?

Allonzo Trier: That is definitely something that I have been waiting to get this session over and sit down with my mother. We have had some talks over the phone, but we want to sit down and figure out when we want to narrow this list down and be set to make a decision.

Gopher Hole: I know that you played at Montrose Christian this past season, but what is your hometown?

Allonzo Trier: I am from Seattle. My mom still lives in Oklahoma City, so that is where I go when I see my mother.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the Gophers? What are they saying to you?

Allonzo Trier: Just great things. They want me to come and be their franchise player out of the program and they want to build around me and they think one of the key pieces that can make that program a national contender.

Gopher Hole: Do you know much about Minnesota? Did you get a chance to watch them on TV?

Allonzo Trier: I watched them a little bit. I spoke with Kimani (Young) a lot of times. He told me who they were playing and I did my best to keep my eye out.

Gopher Hole: Coach Pitino is obviously the coach here and you are being recruited by his dad at Louisville. Do they keep the talk focused on their programs?

Allonzo Trier: I'm not sure what they say about each other. I know that they talk a lot. They don't bad-mouth each other (laughing). They are both great. They are both for each other. They try to help each other out in recruitment and things like that, but they are fighting over me right now.

Gopher Hole: What things are you working on to continue to improve yourself as a player right now?

Allonzo Trier: Continue to be effective. Continuing to make reads out of doubles and seeing different defenses. Almost like a quarterback. I am trying to do a better job of being a rebounder for my team.

Hopefully the Gophs can snag this one.. would be a program changer.

#1 target. We have a real legitimate chance. We wont lose him by a lack of effort.

Still think he'd play a lot of PG for us. That after all will be his NBA position, or at least he position he'll have to play if he wants to be a high draft pick and/or starter in the league.

#1 target. We have a real legitimate chance. We wont lose him by a lack of effort.

I don't doubt our effort, but I'm not encouraged by his transfer to Findlay. Seems like a very crooked place to me.

By the way, are you still confident we're not going into next year with only 5 guys to play the 1,2,3 positions? (I was, but I'm baffled nothing has happened yet). Seemed like you were strongly hinting we could get Justin Martin, and we didn't even end up among his 3 visits. What happened?

I don't doubt our effort, but I'm not encouraged by his transfer to Findlay. Seems like a very crooked place to me.

By the way, are you still confident we're not going into next year with only 5 guys to play the 1,2,3 positions? (I was, but I'm baffled nothing has happened yet). Seemed like you were strongly hinting we could get Justin Martin, and we didn't even end up among his 3 visits. What happened?

Zach Lofton happened and Buggs stayed. I am not comfortable with our backcourt situation. Andres health is the key

I would be absolutely thrilled to land Trier, but it's hard not to be skeptical of Minnesota's chances until we actually beat out the likes of Kansas, Louisville, Arizona, UConn, etc. for a recruit. It's one thing to beat out just one of these schools, but to beat out a whole list of them is another thing. Hopefully I'm wrong, but it feels like we may be at least a year or two away from getting a real blue-chip recruit unless someone like Coffey decides to stay home. A school usually needs proven, sustained success in order to get the big time guys; hopefully the Gophers will be in that position in the near future.

I would be absolutely thrilled to land Trier, but it's hard not to be skeptical of Minnesota's chances until we actually beat out the likes of Kansas, Louisville, Arizona, UConn, etc. for a recruit. It's one thing to beat out just one of these schools, but to beat out a whole list of them is another thing. Hopefully I'm wrong, but it feels like we may be at least a year or two away from getting a real blue-chip recruit unless someone like Coffey decides to stay home. A school usually needs proven, sustained success in order to get the big time guys; hopefully the Gophers will be in that position in the near future.

I will become hopeful if we can at least get one of his five officials. That is my new rule of thumb when it comes to these 4 and 5 star out of state kids. If we are one of the five teams getting an official then I will get my hopes up, but not before. I guess that could pretty much be my rule of thumb with the in state elite players too.

I will become hopeful if we can at least get one of his five officials. That is my new rule of thumb when it comes to these 4 and 5 star out of state kids. If we are one of the five teams getting an official then I will get my hopes up, but not before. I guess that could pretty much be my rule of thumb with the in state elite players too.

Yeah, I'm with you there. Even though the Gophers kept getting listed all the way to the final three schools for guys like Whitehead, Perkins, etc. last year, it didn't seem like we ever really had a shot since they didn't visit here.

Have the Gophers ever landed a 5-star player not from Minnesota?

Zach Lofton happened and Buggs stayed. I am not comfortable with our backcourt situation. Andres health is the key

Lofton was already thought to be on board when the Martin chatter heated up, at least publicly. If you're suggesting that the staff decided not to "Crean" anyone and left the decision to transfer up to the players (i.e., Buggs), I can't argue with that philosophy, but would've been nice to know everyone's intentions before we signed two more spring front-court/post players.

Andre hasn't been healthy 2 of his 3 years here (maybe 3, don't know about soph year). Maybe a walk on can provide some emergency insurance, I don't know. Shell's been here long enough.

Courtney James. Daryll Mitchell. (Not sure about Tucker and Holmes...they were also rated very highly in that class). Probably others that were equivalent although before the ranking systems.

Vo Lenard may be as close as it got. I believe he was in the top 30-40 range coming out of hs in '91. That was a loaded class that included Michigan Fab Five, Glenn Robinson Jr., David Vaughn, and Alan Henderson to name a few. He would get my vote anyway.

I think we have a much better shot with Allonzo than we did with Rashad. I also personally think that Trier is a step or two above Rashad as a Shooting Guard, so this would be huge if we could get him here for a visit!

I think we have a much better shot with Allonzo than we did with Rashad. I also personally think that Trier is a step or two above Rashad as a Shooting Guard, so this would be huge if we could get him here for a visit!

Maybe we should have a running count of all the swing and misses we have this year; seemed like a million last year....

Courtney James. Daryll Mitchell. (Not sure about Tucker and Holmes...they were also rated very highly in that class). Probably others that were equivalent although before the ranking systems.

Willie Burton possibly.

do not agree. Revisionist history has not been kind to mr Vaughn in the eyes of some....

I think I'd rather have Trier than Vaughn, but it is hard to say who will be a better "Shooting Guard." Despite the fact they can both play "Shooting Guard," they aren't really the same type of player. Trier is a combo guard that could legitimately start at PG for just about any program in the country. Vaughn is a wing that can seamlessly slide between the 2 and the 3.

I think I'd rather have Trier than Vaughn, but it is hard to say who will be a better "Shooting Guard." Despite the fact they can both play "Shooting Guard," they aren't really the same type of player. Trier is a combo guard that could legitimately start at PG for just about any program in the country. Vaughn is a wing that can seamlessly slide between the 2 and the 3.

I don't know enough about Trier to say pick one or the other. However, I know enough about Vaughn to say that Trier isn't "a notch or two above him". I think its a tossup and would definitely skew towards preference.

Lets say they were both 2014 recruits and we had to choose one, given our need I would 100% take the bigger Vaughn, next year when we are in equal need of a 2, 3 and a 1, I would say it's too tough to decide give me someone else!

I don't know enough about Trier to say pick one or the other. However, I know enough about Vaughn to say that Trier isn't "a notch or two above him". I think its a tossup and would definitely skew towards preference.

Lets say they were both 2014 recruits and we had to choose one, given our need I would 100% take the bigger Vaughn, next year when we are in equal need of a 2, 3 and a 1, I would say it's too tough to decide give me someone else!

Unless Trier comes out and says he wants to be a "one and done" like Vaughn did, I'd take Trier. However, I'd find it hard to believe that Trier is any level above Vaughn from a talent perspective.

I'd take Trier over Vaughn because I think having a dominating PG (or a combo guard with a strong handle and good vision) is more valuable in college basketball than a dominant wing (2/3). I also think Trier plays more than one year (though maybe Vaughn does too).

Willie would have been 4* caliber. Top 100.

Quincy Lewis and Charles Thomas won Mr. Basketball in Arkansas and Kentucky, respectively. Not sure what their star ratings would have been. Courtney James was also very highly rated as mentioned in another post

Quincy Lewis and Charles Thomas won Mr. Basketball in Arkansas and Kentucky, respectively. Not sure what their star ratings would have been. Courtney James was also very highly rated as mentioned in another post

I can't tell you where Quincy Lewis was ranked specifically, but I can tell you that he was a top 100 kid. In that era, there were no "star" rankings to my knowledge, just top 100 lists from various services than ended up in season preview magazines (or I assume available via mail order subscription for the hard core recruitniks).

As for Charles Thomas, I don't know if he was ranked or not, but an SI article on the Gophers during the '97 year included a theory that scholarship limitations had made it possible for schools like Minnesota to compete at the highest level as Thomas would have been a Kentucky Wildcat X number of years ago.

It's a blessing and a curse to remember so much about those teams/players. The memory would clearly be much more foggy if the Gophers continued to be relevant post Clem.

Lots of Mr. Basketball's or gatorade player of the year players are quality high school players but not necessarily guys with next level ability:Hooker, Noreen, Dahlman, etc. Not all great high school players project to be the same kind of college players depending on height, quickness, etc.

Lewis and Thomas were good players but I doubt Thomas was recruited much by Kentucky. 97' Kentucky team was nat'l runner up with c mohammed, wing ron mercer, c magloire, f padgett, pg Wayne Turner. Team was stacked.

I think Mychal Thompson was considered the top recruit in the country, wasn't he?

No. He was probably top 50 range- a little under the radar because he came from the Bahamas. From that class Olberding was rated higher and a Mickey D AA- in some services he was as high as top 5. Chad Nelson -6-11 or so was also very highly rated perhaps higher than Thompson. It took just a few games for everyone to figure out that Thompson was going to be the better player though.

Top Bottom