Q&A: Chicago F Edward Morrow Talks Recruiting, Has Offers From Gophers, Hawkeyes

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Chicago F Edward Morrow Talks Recruiting, Has Offers From Gophers, Hawkeyes and Others
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/393979?referrer_id=388419

Edward Morrow, a 6-foot-7, 210-pound 2015 forward from Chicago (IL) Simeon, is considered one of the top frontcourt players in the Class of 2015. Morrow had a strong performance with the Mac Irvin Fire at the EYBL event in Eagan Memorial Day Weekend. Morrow currently has offers from Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Iowa State and many others.

Morrow helped lead Mac Irvin Fire to a 4-1 mark in Eagan as they finished 10-6 overall to advance to the Peach Jam. He averaged 14.1 points and 7.6 rebounds per game. Morrow shot 68.1% from the field and 63.6% from the free throw line in the EYBL.

Gopher Hole.com caught up with Morrow to learn the latest on his recruitment and summer plans.

Gopher Hole: You and the team had a good showing in Minnesota. How pleased are you with how well you have been playing so far this spring?

Edward Morrow: Thus far, I think that we are doing pretty good. There were some things, even though we had a pretty good game, that we could have gotten better at and we will get better at them.

Gopher Hole: What things have you been working at to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Edward Morrow: I have been trying to continue facing up to the basket. You have to be able to put the ball on the floor, even if it is five feet from the rim. I would like to be able to get the ball and take it and push it myself up the floor and start the break. Mismatches.

Gopher Hole: You played at Chicago Simeon and they have a great tradition. You had a young team this past year after having won three straight titles and lost to eventual state champion and rival Whitney Young. What are the expectations for the upcoming season with you and (Illinois commit) D.J. Williams and a few others coming back?

Edward Morrow: Coming into this season, I can say that everybody said that we weren't going to be that great, but in all reality, this was one of my worst seasons, this season. I lost more games than I have since I have been there at Simeon, so coming into next season, it is pretty big. We are pretty hyped up for it. We know what type of team we have and we know what we can do.

Gopher Hole: Is that nice being at a school like Simeon where there is such a tradition. You go back to players like Derrick Rose, Ben Wilson and Jabari Parker. Is that something you like to have to live up to those expectations?

Edward Morrow: It is actually pretty nice because everyone comes out to see who's next. You always hear that. "Who's the next guy" and even on the team, it is competitive. People want that title and that name.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest on your college recruitment right now?

Edward Morrow: Just recently, Creighton offered me. Florida State, SMU and Minnesota

Gopher Hole: What do you know about the Gophers?

Edward Morrow: The Gophers, I have been able to catch a few games during the season when I wasn't traveling with my team. It is pretty exciting to watch them play.

Gopher Hole: Have you ever been to Minnesota before coming up here for the EYBL?

Edward Morrow: Yes, I came last year. That was the only other time I had been to Minnesota.

Gopher Hole: Did you have a chance to see much while you were here or was it just basketball?

Edward Morrow: We were staying by the Mall of America, so that is about it. I haven't been able to see much. I heard that they have a nice downtown area. Minnesota is just nice. I'd like to see it.

Gopher Hole: Would you like to take some visits to some schools?

Edward Morrow: We talked to Coach Pitino of Minnesota before we came up here. He was telling me that he would like for me to come down, but with the NCAA regulations, you can't do those kind of things. It is just good to hear from them and know that he is concerned about getting me back.

Gopher Hole: Are you going to any college or individual camps this summer?

Edward Morrow: I am going to John Lucas, NBA 100, but for right now, that is all I know.

Gopher Hole: When you finally pick a school, what are going to be the main factors that make you pick School A over School B or C?

Edward Morrow: When I decide on my college, it will be somewhere I can be happy. Somewhere where I plan on staying four years and being able to put in all my hard work and show what I can do.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought much about what you are going to major in at college?

Edward Morrow: Yes. I would like to major in engineering.

Gopher Hole: Is something that you are looking at besides the basketball, a good engineering program?

Edward Morrow: Actually, going to Simeon, we have the program at our school already, so we have a little hands-on experience. We build houses in the class and all those types of things, so I was interested.

Gopher Hole: Do you come from a basketball family?

Edward Morrow: Both of my parents attended the University of Nebraska and three of my aunties attended the University of Nebraska, playing sports. My father (Edward Morrow) was a football player and my mom (Nafeesah Brown, who averaged 20.2 points and 10.1 rebounds per game as a senior) was a basketball player, an alum at the University of Nebraska.

Gopher Hole: Is that were you got the love of sports from?

Edward Morrow: I would say that it is more of a passion. My parents never really pushed me. They wanted you to play any sports that you were happy playing. I just had a passion for basketball.

I love reading these interviews, usually from Chris Monter, especially when they are with an out of state kid that we haven't heard a ton about. I know the recruits rarely say anything interesting in regards to their future college choice, but it's nice to get a little background on them.

Top Bottom