Dick Vitale: Richard Pitino among "5 Young College Coaches To Watch"

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Richard Pitino Top 5 young coaches in the country!
<a href="http://t.co/rD78JSYet1">http://t.co/rD78JSYet1</a></p>— Kimani Young (@CoachKimani) <a href="https://twitter.com/CoachKimani/statuses/474713979051593728">June 6, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Norwood better be secretly buying shovels and concrete for that practice facility. We are going to start seeing more and more press like this which will only raise his profile.

That is some good company to be mentioned with. Some really good company. Some company that Richard actually has no business being mentioned with. But heck, I'll take it.

This is why the NIT DOES matter. I don't think Richard makes a list like this if we don't make it to MSG. Hell, he may not even make the list if we lost to SMU in the NIT finals. Just being able to say Richard Pitino and "NIT championship" in his first year makes people take notice. I'm not saying this will cause a bunch of 4* and 5* players to be knocking down The Barn doors yet but season 1 was no doubt a success.

This is why the NIT DOES matter. I don't think Richard makes a list like this if we don't make it to MSG. Hell, he may not even make the list if we lost to SMU in the NIT finals. Just being able to say Richard Pitino and "NIT championship" in his first year makes people take notice. I'm not saying this will cause a bunch of 4* and 5* players to be knocking down The Barn doors yet but season 1 was no doubt a success.

Agreed. The word "championship" of any kind, tied to your name in your first year with a program is viewed as a success.

This is why the NIT DOES matter.

For the first year, yes. Generally speaking I would disagree with that though. If we're back in the NIT again next year it won't be a success story, in fact it would be the opposite in my opinion. I have no doubt we will be in the NCAA tournament though. Hopefully making some noise.

That is some good company to be mentioned with. Some really good company. Some company that Richard actually has no business being mentioned with. But heck, I'll take it.

Richard's the kind of guy who will see this and be motivated even more to live up to this billing. Some would get a big head as a result of this, but Pitino is humble.

Vitale gets some grief, and for good reason, but he's incisive. He hits upon the three big attributes: communication, salesmanship and technical proficiency. Time will tell whether Richard ever becomes an elite coach, but he has the tools and potential to be the total package. It's obvious from what we've been reading lately that he understands his weaknesses and is working toward addressing them.

Richard's the kind of guy who will see this and be motivated even more to live up to this billing. Some would get a big head as a result of this, but Pitino is humble.

Vitale gets some grief, and for good reason, but he's incisive. He hits upon the three big attributes: communication, salesmanship and technical proficiency. Time will tell whether Richard ever becomes an elite coach, but he has the tools and potential to be the total package. It's obvious from what we've been reading lately that he understands his weaknesses and is working toward addressing them.

For discussion sake. What are Young Pitino's weaknesses?

He's too fit. It's making Souhan jealous.

It's been a long time since I've seen Souhan's name, it's been quite refreshing. :) Guessing he hasn't written about the Gophers lately.

Top Bottom