BTT Back To Rotation Indy/Chicago

tjgopher

Reaction score
Although I wasn't one opposed to the Big Ten Tourney hitting a few outliers on occasion, this should calm a few of the folks on the other end down.

BTT Tourney four-year agreement to rotate Chicago (2019/2021) and Indy (2020/2022).

So, it looks like this:

2015: Chicago
2016: Indy
2017: Wash DC
2018: TBD
2019: Chicago
2020: Indy
2021: Chicago
2022: Indy

Women's BTT in Indy for five straight years 2017-2022.

Big Ten Football game stays in Indy through 2021.

The shift east isn't as forced as some thought.

Thanks.

Real curious where the 2018 BTT ends up.

Hmmmm, isn't there a new football facility being built that also wants to host the 2019 or 2020 Final Four? If Ziggy World gets the 2019 or 2020 Final Four, the 2018 BTT (as well as a Midwest Regional in one of those years) could serve as one of its "dry-runs"? I'm smelling a 2018 Minneapolis BTT.

I know Jim Delany has talked about getting the BTT into Madison Square Garden, but I doubt he'd put it there a year after holding the tourney in DC?

Thanks.

Real curious where the 2018 BTT ends up.

Hmmmm, isn't there a new football facility being built that also wants to host the 2019 or 2020 Final Four? Perhaps Ziggy World gets the 2019 or 2020 Final Four and the 2018 BTT (as well as a Midwest Regional) serves as one of its "dry-runs"?

I like where you're thinking, but I can't see any way they put the BTT in a football stadium. A newly-renovated $100 million Target Center? Now maybe that's a possibility. Even the Xcel Energy Center would be a nice fit for the BTT. Probably not the Vikes stadium, though.

Good point. I know the NCAA likes to have dry runs (of some kind) for their Final Four sites, but yes, usually it's as a NCAA tourney site, not a conference tourney site. Either way, anxious to hear where it'll end up.

Good point. I know the NCAA likes to have dry runs (of some kind) for their Final Four sites, but yes, usually it's as a NCAA tourney site, not a conference tourney site. Either way, anxious to hear where it'll end up.

My first guess is Cleveland, 2nd Brooklyn.

If Big Jim wants to really expand the brand, how about Las Vegas?

Madison Square Garden, anyone?

"The year of intrigue is 2018. Sources told the Tribune that Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany has targeted New York’s Madison Square Garden and that Delany visited with MSG officials Wednesday in New York."

A little sly misdirection by Delany? Announce to the world that most of the Big Ten's main events are staying in the Midwest -- thus easing Midwesterners' angst -- but ever so subtly slide it into the story that the 2018 men's tournament site is still TBD? He's a master at getting his "footprint" agenda forwarded.

Madison Square Garden, anyone?

"The year of intrigue is 2018. Sources told the Tribune that Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany has targeted New York’s Madison Square Garden and that Delany visited with MSG officials Wednesday in New York."

The Gophers own MSG.

I think Minneapolis should occasionally get the B1G football championship (when the stadium is done) and/or the basketball tourney. It's one of the largest media markets in the conference (maybe second behind Chicago??) and one of the few B1G cities big enough to host the events but also give people something to do when they're here. If you're going to have it in Chicago and Indy then clearly you're not concerned with weather, and outside of weather I would match Minneapolis up with any city in the conference. I really don't understand the obsession with Indianapolis, a city no one in the country outside of Indiana has any interest in visiting (sure, have it there once in a while because it's centrally located, but every other year for bb and every year for football????)

I think Minneapolis should occasionally get the B1G football championship (when the stadium is done) and/or the basketball tourney. It's one of the largest media markets in the conference (maybe second behind Chicago??) and one of the few B1G cities big enough to host the events but also give people something to do when they're here. If you're going to have it in Chicago and Indy then clearly you're not concerned with weather, and outside of weather I would match Minneapolis up with any city in the conference. I really don't understand the obsession with Indianapolis, a city no one in the country outside of Indiana has any interest in visiting (sure, have it there once in a while because it's centrally located, but every other year for bb and every year for football????)

Indy is a good city for the BTT. It is a good host city, there are enough things to do, and it is a world class facility. But, yes, its main advantage is proximity. A big reason they sell out is because there are 8 schools within 4-5 hours of the arena (or roughly there abouts).

Minneapolis has only 2 schools within five hours. Serious question...I'm not sure the Twin Cities would sell the event out. I could be wrong, but does the Big Ten want to risk it?

Would love to see it in Minnesota, but I suspect attendance would be poor. Not convinced Minnesotans would show up for it, either, unless Gophers were having a '97-type season. Definitely would be a gamble by B1G if it came here, just like DC and MSG would be gambles.

Top Bottom