Great quotes from Pitino on the team - Hollins probably won't have surgery...

GopherLady

Reaction score
and much more. In case you don't have Twitter, Amelia just tweeted out a bunch of great quotes from Pitino:

Pitino said he's still coming up with creative new ideas to change up offseason workouts this year.

Teams are allowed to begin summer pracs on June 16 & can practice up to 2 hrs/week after that.

Also, Carlos Morris (Squirrel) and Zach Lofton are already on campus. The other four recruits will arrive mid-June.

Pitino said Hollins has been working out with strength & conditioning coach Shaun Brown and is feeling better.

Pitino also told me Andre Hollins will most likely not have hip surgery this summer after all. Tweaked it late season after ankle sprain.

Pitino on Lofton: "We worked him out when he came to visit & it wasn't even close. He's got size, he's got the skill, he's got the ability."

Pitino on Fr. Zach Lofton: "I'm not saying he will be our best player, but he's got the most talent of anybody in our basketball program."

Pitino on Fr. Nate Mason: "He's a little bit like Andre Hollins, he can play a couple of different positions."

Pitino on Martin: "He tries to dunk everything. He tries to break every backboard that he tries to dunk on. That's just the way he is."

Pitino on Fr. Josh Martin: "Twitter sensation, all he ever does is tweet 50 times a day. You guys will love him." (Go ahead & retweet, Josh)

Pitino on Morris: "He's probably the one guy we need to come in and make an impact right away like DeAndre Mathieu did for us this year."

Pitino on Carlos Morris: "I don't know why his nickname is Squirrel and I don't care. I never want to know why."

Pitino on Fr. Bakary Konate: "Every time I ask him how he's doing, he says 'Always great, Coach.' It's my favorite response ever."

Pitino on Fr. Gaston Diediou: "great athlete, will play as if every possession he plays is his last possession of basketball."

Pitino on recruiting: "We've gone international this year. Everybody says no to us in the states so we had to go across the water to do it."

Pitino on players: "They're the type of guys I would let babysit my daughter. I don't know about my six-week-old, but maybe my daughter."

Pitino also mentions that forward Joey King had a 4.0 GPA last year. "Very good player but also a great student."

Pitino on players: "One thing we're excited about, you didn't see our guys' names in the paper unless it had to do with basketball."

Pitino "I'm excited that this is not another first year."

I was wondering when these would make their way over here. Great stuff!

Love the comment about everyone in the states saying no so they had to go overseas.

GL, you're the best. Thanks for posting!

Sounds like Richard loves his guys. But there's always the other side of the coin: there's such thing as your players being too nice of guys. A person has to wonder whether that relates to the killer instinct issues.

If Pitino is the judge of talent I think he is, that's a big quote on Lofton. Obviously, talent doesn't always equal production, but it gives me hope for after Andre graduates.

Well... I'll say it... Give the mf'r a raise already.:cool:

Every time I hear(read) him talk I like him even more.

GL, you're the best. Thanks for posting!

Sounds like Richard loves his guys. But there's always the other side of the coin: there's such thing as your players being too nice of guys. A person has to wonder whether that relates to the killer instinct issues.

True but I doubt we have that issue. Little Dre is fiery on the court, 'big' Dre has been through his share of battles in the toughest conference in the country, King, Mo and EE definitely get fired up too. We certainly have plenty of heart on this squad IMO

Pitino on players: "One thing we're excited about, you didn't see our guys' names in the paper unless it had to do with basketball."

This is my favorite one. I hope you didn't anger our ghosts who shall not be named and jinx it Richard.

Love hearing from Pitino, especially after the signing period and bball season is so far out.
It's good to hear some of his thoughts to keep us excited about ball..
Always want to hear more about what he thinks of these recruits, can't wait til they get on campus & work with the staff and Shaun brown

Love hearing from Pitino, especially after the signing period and bball season is so far out.
Always want to hear more about what he thinks of these recruits, can't wait til they get on campus & work with the staff and Shaun brown

I second these thoughts. I think just about everything out of coach's mouth is positive. Love it. THANKS GL.

You're my fav player homer. You're a devout zach lofton fan and the coach just gave him huge praise and you subtly mention it. Other hater/homers wouldn't be so gentle with obvious affirmation of their argument.

You're my fav player homer. You're a devout zach lofton fan and the coach just gave him huge praise and you subtly mention it. Other hater/homers wouldn't be so gentle with obvious affirmation of their argument.

Yeah I was expecting more of an "I told you so" type post. Didn't really need to say it though. If Lofton improves his shot selection I think he will be very good for us.

But Winasota....Jigga doesn't have 1000 posts. How do you take him/her seriously?

You're a devout zach lofton fan and the coach just gave him huge praise

Bostick had a ton of talent but Tub-Tub and company didn't know what to do with it... curious to see what the staff can do with Lofton over the next few years.

Bostick had a ton of talent but Tub-Tub and company didn't know what to do with it... curious to see what the staff can do with Lofton over the next few years.

I agree, talent does not equal production. A player has to be put in a position and good situation to be successful.
Bostick was very athletically talented and had a lot of potential, I think Zach is more dynamic though and has more tools offensively from quickness, ball handling, and scoring perspective.

From the little interaction and a lot of observation I have had with the 2 coaching staffs I think Coach P and co. Put more of an emphasis on individual player development than Tubs and co. Did...
I'm excited about Pitino's excitement he has spotted and worked with top talent throughout his coaching career, I'm trusting he knows how to spot it, develop it, harness it, and put ppl in positions for success...
Also I'm a big Shaun brown fan, I hear he is the best in the biz & he did a great job with Mo and Oto last season.

Winnasota I'll try my best.
By the time zl is playing I probably won't even mention his name, I know message boards can be a toxic environment.

http://m.startribune.com/?id=261849941

Here's a link to the full startribune blog, Amelia expresses Pitino's thoughts a little more in depth than on her twitter account.(not much more in depth)

Sorry couldn't copy and paste the article from my iPhone.
But I'm sure the Trib appreciates the "clicks"

I think Lofton could have a similar impact to Petteway for Nebraska. Like Petteway Lofton has a full year at the U to hone in his game until he takes the court. I would be ecstatic if he was close to the player Petteway is.

"But Tuesday, at a Gopher Road Trip stop in Redwood Falls, the Minnesota coach, now in his second year, displayed a new level of ease in talking to the 300-some locals that showed up to here him and other coaches from the university speak."

Really Amelia?

"But Tuesday, at a Gopher Road Trip stop in Redwood Falls, the Minnesota coach, now in his second year, displayed a new level of ease in talking to the 300-some locals that showed up to here him and other coaches from the university speak."

Really Amelia?

She never proofreads her work. I've found grammar errors and typos in every one of her articles that I've read. Then there was the whole misquote of Trevor Mbakwe as well. It's all pretty shocking considering the position she has. The standards are obviously not that high at the StarTrib.

She never proofreads her work. I've found grammar errors and typos in every one of her articles that I've read. Then there was the whole misquote of Trevor Mbakwe as well. It's all pretty shocking considering the position she has. The standards are obviously not that high at the StarTrib.

Shes a blogger...

She's the beat writer for the newspaper. And even if she was simply a blogger, couldn't she proofread once or twice before she posts her work?

I wasn't using it as an excuse. It was meant to be a jab. Tweet at her and call her a blogger sometime, see how she reacts....

A lot of good and interesting information in Amelia's blog. A little blip (here/hear) on her and/or her editor's part isn't going to kill anyone.

Hearing Pitino say Hollins has bad hips concerns me. Hope that's not a lingering issue his senior season.

A lot of good and interesting information in Amelia's blog. A little blip (here/hear) on her part isn't going to kill anyone.

Hearing Pitino say Hollins has bad hips concerns me. Hope that's not a lingering issue his senior season.

I see it as one of those situations where they're going to make the best of the situation for his senior season through physical therapy. Long term I wouldn't be surprised if he needed surgery. Hopefully it's not one of these chronic or degenerative conditions that sinks his career. I think we're already to the point where his college career isn't what it should have or could have been.

A lot of good and interesting information in Amelia's blog. A little blip (here/hear) on her part isn't going to kill anyone.

He's had hip problems since his sophomore season? Didn't we all awe at his explosiveness from his HS days and then compare him to what he is today. He's not 100% Andre Hollins anymore.

Doesn't a lot of the blame fall on the copy desk? They're supposed to proofread.

Top Bottom