ESPN: Top 50 College Hoops Coaches: Nos. 50-25 (#49: Richard Pitino, Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

No. 49: Richard Pitino, Minnesota

Someone made an impression in his first Big Ten season, huh? Richard Pitino, all of 31 years old, guided the Gophers to the NIT title in 2013-14, a strong finish to an encouraging first season. (And one that provided a shot of his father, Rick Pitino, screaming from courtside at one of his son's guards that the Gophers had no timeouts left, while former Louisville guard Peyton Siva sat beside him laughing. Dads are so embarrassing!)

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/top50coaches50-25/top-50-coaches

Go Gophers!!

This is high praise; look at who got left out.

Tubby at 39 - good to see some recognition of the nice job he did at Tech
Miles at 32

A top 50 current and former coach at a school that is not among the 300 best in college basketball. Shocking, eh Myron? :cool:

Well 33 coaches who made the big dance in 2014 make less than Gophers NIT coach and pretty sure he is top 50 in pay. So no he does not deserve an extra raise.

Brain Fart, you are really getting sickening.

This is high praise; look at who got left out.

Tubby at 39 - good to see some recognition of the nice job he did at Tech
Miles at 32

So a 14-18 season is a good job? I would definitely rather have Crean or Drew coaching my team than Tubby or Bruce Weber. They might not be known as great coaches, but they get talent into their programs which gives you a greater chance of having better seasons.

So a 14-18 season is a good job? I would definitely rather have Crean or Drew coaching my team than Tubby or Bruce Weber. They might not be known as great coaches, but they get talent into their programs which gives you a greater chance of having better seasons.

In short, yes he did a good job. My Cyclone-fan colleague tells me that TT's defense gave them fits this year. They were a tough out in the conference season.

I am not sure what your problem is with those 2 well-respected coaches. If there is one coach that is considered underachiever would be your coach with the amount of talent that he always brings in god know how.
Again, I am so disappointed for the Gopher nation that allows somebody to come here and bash their former coach.

Documentation? Since you're always such a stickler for facts.

I agree with him. This is not the 1st time that OSUfan has come here to bash the former coach. Not even a single person told him that he was wrong. To me that was a fact.

From another post, we just found out that OSUfan has a thing for Painter too. Like I have said before, this guy is even worse than me and Dr. Don as far as intelligence goes.

I agree with him. This is not the 1st time that OSUfan has come here to bash the former coach. Not even a single person told him that he was wrong. To me that was a fact.

From another post, we just found out that OSUfan has a thing for Painter too. Like I have said before, this guy is even worse than me and Dr. Don as far as intelligence goes.

Stop insulting yourself, Truth. :)

In short, yes he did a good job. My Cyclone-fan colleague tells me that TT's defense gave them fits this year. They were a tough out in the conference season.

14-18 may be an improvement from being in the abyss, but it is not a good season. If "what have you done for me lately" is the main criteria for this list, as it seems to be, I don't see why Tubby made it ahead of Tom Crean or Scott Drew.

ESPN's Top 50 Coaches

Here is ESPN's horrendous list of the top 50 coaches.
http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/top50coaches1/no-1-florida-billy-donovan

I'm not sure what the criteria was, but either way, just glancing at the order of their top 10, it sucks. I thought it would be interesting for people to rank their top 10, however. Here's who ESPN had:

No. 10: Kevin Ollie, UConn
No. 9: John Beilein, Michigan
No. 8: Gregg Marshall, Wichita State
No. 7: Bo Ryan, Wisconsin
No. 6: Bill Self, Kansas
No. 5: Rick Pitino, Louisville
No. 4: Mike Krzyzewski, Duke
No. 3: Tom Izzo, Michigan State
No. 2: John Calipari, Kentucky
No. 1: Billy Donovan, Florida

The top 50 is at the bottom of the page. Richard Pitino came in at 49.

If you are just looking purely at who will get your program to it's highest level of wins and postseason success, I'd say Calipari is #1 and Self is #2, and after that it's almost entirely subjective. Both of those two started at mid-major schools and were eventually elevated to blue blood programs through having tremendous success for the non-blue blood programs they were at. I think this whole top-50 thing by ESPN was a bunch of mularkey, designed to get maximum clicks on their website in the offseason by releasing it one coach at a time.

Even though I don't really want to admit it, Beilein would probably be my #3. Just has a vision for recruits with potential that other coaches don't, and of course his coaching is good as well. He has had a handful of kids who weren't regarded as real NBA prospects coming out of HS become NBA draft picks (Morris, Hardaway, Burke, now Stauskas and possibly LeVert in the future), and people forget that he had UM as a finalist for Klay Thompson but he spurned them to go to Wazzou.

Why wouldn't they? Gophers fans on average hate him more than anyone else.

I dont hate tubby. He is a great guy and a very good coach. Had some ups and downs here and some very bad luck with some players but for the most part I don't believe most gopher fans hate tubby. They were ready for a change but don't hate him

I dont hate tubby. He is a great guy and a very good coach. Had some ups and downs here and some very bad luck with some players but for the most part I don't believe most gopher fans hate tubby. They were ready for a change but don't hate him

My exact sentiments...wonderful human being but we needed a change and maybe he did, too.

Top Bottom