CBS' Jon Rothstein: Minnesota should be in Big Ten mix next season; Morris a key

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Carlos Morris is Minnesota's most important newcomer. ... The junior-college transfer has a chance to play immediately for the Gophers, who return three of their top four scorers from a team that won 25 games and the Postseason NIT title. "We need him to have a Deandre Mathieu-type impact," Minnesota coach Richard Pitino said of the 6-foot-5 Morris while referencing Mathieu, a 5-9 point guard who averaged 12 points and 4.2 assists last season after transferring from junior college. "We need a replacement for Austin Hollins and at 6-5, Carlos is maybe the only true small forward we have on our roster." The Gophers were a surprise last season, and a returning backcourt of Mathieu and Andre Hollins (13.6 points per game) means an NCAA bid is the goal in Year Two under Pitino. Minnesota returns solid role players in Maurice Walker, Elliott Eliason, and Joey King while adding a quality piece in rugged freshman power forward Josh Martin. The Gophers should be in the mix of Big Ten contenders behind favorite Wisconsin.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...sota-figures-to-be-in-big-ten-mix-next-season

Funny that I was excoriated for writing this a few weeks ago.

Dpo, you are not alone barking at the moon on that one. I'm with ya', and I know Howie has expressed his concerns about the Gophers' depth on the wing, as well.

Funny that I was excoriated for writing this a few weeks ago. Now that Pitino said the same thing, it will be Gospel truth.

I don't remember that. Pretty sure most people thought that before this quote. Who else would be a "true" small forward on our roster (not just someone who could fill in if necessary)?

Funny that I was excoriated for writing this a few weeks ago. Now that Pitino said the same thing, it will be Gospel truth.

Was it you that also said that lil dre was a poor shooter?

Was it you that also said that lil dre was a poor shooter?

I think lil dre was in a right place at a right time last season. There had to be a reason that he was in Juco. B1G didn't have a PG who had his speed last year.

I agree with the article, Morris is key this upcoming season.
I also agree that he is the closest thing we have to a true 3, but to me thats based primarily on his size at 6'5.
I actually envision him more as a 2, but luckily 2's and 3's are basically interchangable in Pitino's system.

Sorry to bring back up this convo but we are going to have to find players that can spell at SF, hopefully some of these "tweeners" can thrive in that role as a reserve (Buggs, Mcneil, King, or martin), but morris has to be successful for us to be successful because we are banking on him at that position.

Dpo, you are not alone barking at the moon on that one. I'm with ya', and I know Howie has expressed his concerns about the Gophers' depth on the wing, as well.
I'm also concerned about the lack of depth at SF as it really only seems like Morris and Mcneil are the only two who can really fit in that spot and I'm kind of concerned about out guard/SF depth as a whole. IMO a big key next year will be having Mathieu, Hollins, Morris, Mcneil, and Mason all stay healthy because they are basically the only 5 players we have to fill the 1,2, and 3 spots next year.

Who the hell would argue that we have another true SF??? Link or it didn't happen dpo

Hopefully Morris comes in and shines and McNeil steps up his game to the next level. Can't afford a sophomore slump from him

Top Bottom