Sid: Tubby thought he was getting a raise in meeting when he got fired

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

• Speaking at the Horseshoe Bay (Texas) Sports Club earlier this month, former Gophers men’s basketball coach Tubby Smith said the biggest disappointment in his career was being fired from the Gophers. “I noticed some unease in the office, and my wife called and said, ‘Are you getting fired? It’s on ESPN,’ ” Smith said, according to the Llano News. “I thought [at the meeting he was set to attend with Norwood Teague] I was getting a raise.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/260556461.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• Speaking at the Horseshoe Bay (Texas) Sports Club earlier this month, former Gophers men’s basketball coach Tubby Smith said the biggest disappointment in his career was being fired from the Gophers. “I noticed some unease in the office, and my wife called and said, ‘Are you getting fired? It’s on ESPN,’ ” Smith said, according to the Llano News. “I thought [at the meeting he was set to attend with Norwood Teague] I was getting a raise.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/260556461.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Refuse to believe Tubby was this delusional. SIX years without a single winning conference season and he thinks he's getting a raise? Don't buy it. The rumors were pretty strong Tubby was gone after yet another second half of the B1G collapse, so it's hard to imagine Tubby wasn't aware he was on shaky ground.

The vast majority of us thought the Tubby Smith era would go much better than it did. Even though it was a disappointment, I don't think too many fans have much bad to say about Tubby Smith the person. Good luck to him in turning around that Texas Tech program.

The vast majority of us thought the Tubby Smith era would go much better than it did. Even though it was a disappointment, I don't think too many fans have much bad to say about Tubby Smith the person. Good luck to him in turning around that Texas Tech program.

Ditto

He did get a raise. Didn't he get a sizable buyout? Then a week or so later he got the TT job.

There had to be a rim shot after he said this. Perhaps Orlando will try his hand at comedy after TT cans him in the next couple of years.

This is Tubby passive aggressive BS. He told his staff the day before that he might get fired. No chance he thought he was getting a raise.
He should worry about his current job and not the last one where he got overpaid more than any coach in the B1G.

There had to be a rim shot after he said this. Perhaps Orlando will try his hand at comedy after TT cans him in the next couple of years.

Actually, there's a good chance he probably was joking. It was at an offseason booster event and those are always full of one-liners. Remember, when Tubby first got here, he used to tell the one about telling Donna they got the Minnesota job, and she thought he was gonna coach the Timberwolves. Funny line. Almost certainly not true. That's how the rubber chicken circuit goes.

Frankly, for Sid or the Texas newspaper to report this as a some sort of fact, is a tad irresponsible.

Refuse to believe Tubby was this delusional. SIX years without a single winning conference season and he thinks he's getting a raise? Don't buy it. The rumors were pretty strong Tubby was gone after yet another second half of the B1G collapse, so it's hard to imagine Tubby wasn't aware he was on shaky ground.

If he did actually think that, he was probably buying into the national media crapfest view that Minnesota wouldn't dare fire the great Tubby Smith regardless of what his record was. Certainly, there was more than enough reason to give Tubby the boot.

Actually, there's a good chance he probably was joking. It was at an offseason booster event and those are always full of one-liners. Remember, when Tubby first got here, he used to tell the one about telling Donna they got the Minnesota job, and she thought he was gonna coach the Timberwolves. Funny line. Almost certainly not true. That's how the rubber chicken circuit goes.

Frankly, for Sid or the Texas newspaper to report this as a some sort of fact, is a tad irresponsible.

I think this.

I really like Tubby and wish it would have gone better for him here.

More overall wins and conference wins than last year at Texas Tech. They also beat two ranked teams this year when they had not beaten a ranked team in the prior 3 and a half seasons. Clearly just driving a proud program right into the ground.

More overall wins and conference wins than last year at Texas Tech. They also beat two ranked teams this year when they had not beaten a ranked team in the prior 3 and a half seasons. Clearly just driving a proud program right into the ground.

I'm not sure where he said or inferred that Tubby was driving the program into the ground.

I think Tubby has to get at least five years there. He did a nice job this year but they have a long ways to go (very little fault of him). They just lost four of their top five scorers from a team that won 14 games. Two of which transferred.

I'm not sure where he said or inferred that Tubby was driving the program into the ground.

I think Tubby has to get at least five years there. He did a nice job this year but they have a long ways to go (very little fault of him). They just lost four of their top five scorers from a team that won 14 games. Two of which transferred.

He said Tubby would be fired in the next couple years. To me, that implies that the poster thinks Tubby is either not improving the program as quickly as he should be, or that it is actually getting worse. They had their best conference and overall record in the last four years this year, and I don't know why that would lead someone to think he has at most two years left before he is fired.

He said Tubby would be fired in the next couple years. To me, that implies that the poster thinks Tubby is either not improving the program as quickly as he should be, or that it is actually getting worse. They had their best conference and overall record in the last four years this year, and I don't know why that would lead someone to think he has at most two years left before he is fired.

Fair enough and I agree that he'll probably get more than two more years.

Top Bottom