GopherSports: Top 10 Basketball Plays of the 2013-14 Season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
#10: Malik Smith Scores 29 at Nebraska

Senior Malik Smith joined the Gophers for just one season, but in that time he made his mark upon the record books. On Jan. 26 at Nebraska, Smith stepped up to spark the Gopher offense with eight made 3-pointers, part of a career-high tying 29 points in his first start in Maroon and Gold.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/052114aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

#9: Austin Hollins Hits Game-Clinching Three at Northwestern

On February 1, the Gophers were looking for their second Big Ten road win, and coming off a tough loss at Wisconsin, needed a boost from every member of the team. Junior DeAndre Mathieu led the team with 18 points on 70 percent shooting, but the game's decisive play came with just over three minutes left.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/052214aab.html

Go Gophers!!

I just can't wait 'til 2014 season starts!

Austin had some really good moments for us. I had forgotten how eerily similar that 3 at Northwestern was to his late 3 against SMU.

Austin had some really good moments for us. I had forgotten how eerily similar that 3 at Northwestern was to his late 3 against SMU.

Yeah that's crazy. Lil Dre to Dre Hollins to Austin in a similar wing spot. Two very similar shots that were huge.

#8: Mo Walker Scores 10 Straight Points vs. Wisconsin

A frenzied, sellout crowd at the Barn greeted the rival Badgers on January 22, and the Gophers looked to be in trouble just 16 seconds in when leading scorer Andre Hollins left the game with a severe ankle injury. Needing someone to step up, the Gophers found a spark in 6'10" junior forward Maurice Walker.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/052314aad.html

Go Gophers!!

#7: Andre Hollins Seals Win over No. 11 Ohio State

In the midst of a grueling stretch of four straight games against ranked opponents, the Gophers' first home test in that span came against the No. 11 Ohio State Buckeyes. After a closely-contested first half, the Gophers grabbed the lead but had trouble putting away OSU for good, until a key play at the 2:53 mark.

Go Gophers!!

#6: Austin Hollins Alley-Oop vs. Florida State

Paired against the visiting Florida State Seminoles in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge on Dec. 3, Minnesota proved to be unfriendly hosts to the Seminoles after a 71-61 victory for the Maroon and Gold.

Up six at the half on FSU, the Gophers stormed out to a 10-1 run out of the locker room, punctuated by a highlight-reel play from Mathieu to Austin Hollins. After a steal by Oto Osenieks got the ball ahead to Mathieu, the point guard streaked up the left side of the court and, just beyond the 3-point arc, tossed the ball into the air where Hollins elevated and dunked it home.

Go Gophers!!

Moment #5 - Charles Buggs Emerges Against Iowa

In a season filled with unlikely heroes stepping up to lead the Gophers to victory, none may have been as much of a surprise as the play of freshman Charles Buggs in the Feb. 25 game against Iowa. Against a high-scoring, top-25 Hawkeyes squad, the Gophers put up their highest point total of the season and kept momentum going heading into March.

Go Gophers!!

#4: Austin Hollins Incredible Block in NIT Semifinal

The Gophers made the most out of their postseason opportunity, earning the number-one overall seed in the National Invitation Tournament. After three home wins over High Point, St. Mary's and Southern Miss, Minnesota earned a spot in the Big Apple for a rematch with Florida State in the semifinals.

Go Gophers!!

Austin Hollins already has 3 of the top 10 and he's obviously going to have #1 as well (the three vs SMU). Man we're going to miss that guy!

Any ideas on what the other 2 are going to be? Heck, Austin's late steal and bucket vs SMU could make the list as well. Maybe Eliason's domination vs OSU?

Yeah, Austin is all over this thing. As he went, the team went.

#3: Austin Hollins Scores 32 Points in Final Home Game vs. Southern Miss

With the Gophers just one win away from a trip to New York City, Minnesota found itself in an early eight-point hole against Southern Miss. Minnesota found its response in senior Austin Hollins, who had a career night in his final home game at the Barn.

Go Gophers!!

So Austin Hollins had 6 of the top 10 plays chosen by the U media people. Man ......

I'm surprised they didn't get one of Deandre Mathieu in there, although I guess he did throw the lob to Hollins in #6.

That's insane that Mathieu was left out.

So Austin Hollins had 6 of the top 10 plays chosen by the U media people. Man ......

I'm surprised they didn't get one of Deandre Mathieu in there, although I guess he did throw the lob to Hollins in #6.

The playmaker never gets the kudos he deserves. I know. Been there done that.

The playmaker never gets the kudos he deserves. I know. Been there done that.

So doc you never got credit for your assists to the guy who made his set shot into an old peach basket back in the 20's?

So doc you never got credit for your assists to the guy who made his set shot into an old peach basket back in the 20's?

Right. And he shot his set shot Granny style.

Since nobody posted the #1 play...

Top Bottom