CBS: Tom Izzo 'disappointed' in rising number of transfers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

“It's a vicious circle, and it's one of the things I'm very disappointed in our game about to be blunt and honest with you,” Izzo said. “I think we've got to find a solution. You wonder why it's harder to discipline kids nowadays, they've got 20 people telling them ‘Well if you don't like it just leave.'

"These guys have done something where they just feel like the smaller programs, if you play well there you're going to move up or definitely as a fifth-year guy you're going to leave."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...zo-disappointed-in-rising-number-of-transfers

Go Gophers!!

The bad news is that the smaller programs are turning into feeder programs for the larger conferences. Go play well and get your degree and then leave for a big school. I don't believe that was the intent of the graduate exception, but it is the practice.

The bad news is that the smaller programs are turning into feeder programs for the larger conferences. Go play well and get your degree and then leave for a big school. I don't believe that was the intent of the graduate exception, but it is the practice.
The senior transfer rule is a bad idea for college sports, the law of unintended consequences strikes again. There was no compelling reason to enact that rule in the first place.

The senior transfer rule is a bad idea for college sports, the law of unintended consequences strikes again. There was no compelling reason to enact that rule in the first place.

Well the reason was to reward those student athletes smart enough to finish their degree before using up their eligibility. I think the intent to reward them was smart, but I think the practice in how it is used isn't good for sports in general.

Well the reason was to reward those student athletes smart enough to finish their degree before using up their eligibility. I think the intent to reward them was smart, but I think the practice in how it is used isn't good for sports in general.

Good idea at the time, now overused. Same old, same old.

Sorry Tom, but I disagree. It's bad for basketball, but it's not bad for the kids. If a kid doesn't like it, you're absolutely right, he has every right to leave and should be told that.

Now whether or not that is the smart thing or the right thing to do is a different topic/discussion. But a student athlete should not feel stuck anywhere unless the school is stuck with them. Its bad enough a school can dump a kid for not producing on the basketball court, but if the kid wants to leave a bad coaching situation he has to sit out a year.

This is one of those, "it used to be better back in the day" comments from an old timer. He might be right, but times have changed, people have choices now and they know they do.

As an employer I've stopped talking about the term employee retention, it's now employee attraction.

It seems like Izzo's problem is moreso about not being able to domineer his players the way he would like as opposed to transfers. He hasn't lost anyone good to transfer that he didn't force out for off-court reasons.

For Izzo's sake thankfully Iowa state isn't in the big 10

I have zero problem with the graduate transfer rule. It rewards a kid for graduating on time (or early) and they usually only have 1 year of eligibility remaining when they do transfer. I don't see a problem with that.

I have zero problem with the graduate transfer rule. It rewards a kid for graduating on time (or early) and they usually only have 1 year of eligibility remaining when they do transfer. I don't see a problem with that.

For control freak coaches, anything that gives the player an easy out is bad. I agree with you, I like rewarding kids for graduating.

The reason why the amount of transfers is so high in college basketball is the same reason why the divorce rate is up to 50%. Just a lack of commitment and loyalty.

For control freak coaches, anything that gives the player an easy out is bad. I agree with you, I like rewarding kids for graduating.
Of course you do your Buckeyes have benefited quite nicely this off season :)

I think it was a nice idea in theory, but it needs to be revoked as it's become a bad rule. Kids are abusing it, and some coaches are abusing it.

You don't like your situation or your coach, fine, you can transfer and sit a year like everyone else. The 1 yr redshirt provides a "price" for both the athlete and the new program that helps to ensure that transfers don't get out of control.

The university that took a chance on you and developed you through all of your growing pains should not lose the "payoff" when you decide to skip town your senior year and become a "plug and play" at a blueblood program. The whole thing just contradicts every notion of fair play and loyalty.

There are a lot of transfers even with the 1-year sit out. Which coaches don't have to serve if they want to change teams.

The university doesn't own the player, they have the right to choose where they attend or if they attend. I like the freedom of choice it provides the player. I suppose it does tend to hurt the weaker programs but you see graduate transfers go to a lot of places that aren't blue blood programs.

I think eventually the 5th year rule is going to hurt the development of some guys because mid major (and lower) coaches are going to stop red shirting kids who could benefit from a year to get stronger/more skilled. Why red shirt a kid when, if he works out as planned, you will lose him after 4 years to a bigger school? I agree that the 5th year rule is good for kids as it's currently being used, but eventually there will be a backlash. When coaches stop red shirting these kids, so they get four years out of them on the court at their school, that's not good for the college game or the player.

On the flip side of the kid leaving the mid major to go to a big school, is the kid who has been recruited over or been the victim of a coaching change that doesn't fit his style. With the 5th year rule, this gives these kids a chance to go someplace to actually PLAY their Senior year instead of having to sit out IF they've done all the necessary work in the classroom to graduate. I think that's a great deal. Why should a 5th year guy have to play his Senior season behind some 5 star freshman if another program would play him big minutes? Give that kid a chance to go elsewhere and showcase his skills for the professional leagues or just to have fun getting a bunch of minutes.

I don't think I can figure out one way that kids getting a higher level of education is a bad thing.

now if that is not happening, I reserve the right to change my mind.

I don't think I can figure out one way that kids getting a higher level of education is a bad thing.

now if that is not happening, I reserve the right to change my mind.

Agreed. But they should aggressively penalize programs where the transfers fail to complete their graduate degree.

Agreed. But they should aggressively penalize programs where the transfers fail to complete their graduate degree.

Dont know how that is fair either.... This is why "student/athlete" "athlete/student" is so challenging...

Dont know how that is fair either.... This is why "student/athlete" "athlete/student" is so challenging...

Give them 2 years of scholarship for the one year of eligibility but heavily penalize schools for those who don't finish. Make it about academics.

Give them 2 years of scholarship for the one year of eligibility but heavily penalize schools for those who don't finish. Make it about academics.

How is it fair to the school if the kid plays a year of basketball and then stops going to school?

Yeah those kids who graduated and are pursuing a masters degree. They sure don't care about academics one bit.

How is it fair to the school if the kid plays a year of basketball and then stops going to school?

How about if there is no penalty if the kid takes said scholarship at the same school he got his undergrad degree.

I'm not sure what the solution is. As another poster said, it is a rule intended to reward a 'student' but I think it hurts the traditional idea of building a program. Hooberg's method is working, but I can't say I enjoy watching a brand new team of misfits every year. I really love observing the improvement players and teams make during a 4 year stretch, and continuous impact transfers can hurt that brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about if there is no penalty if the kid takes said scholarship at the same school he got his undergrad degree.

I'm not sure what the solution is. As another poster said, it is a rule intended to reward a 'student' but I think it hurts the traditional idea of building a program. Hooberg's method is working, but I can't say I enjoy watching a brand new team of misfits every year. I really love observing the improvement players and teams make during a 4 year stretch, and continuous impact transfers can hurt that brand.

There's the problem, it's not about what you want.... Or it's not supposed to be

What if that school does not have the graduate program the kid is after?

I agree with control freak coaches group. Coaches are paid to win as well as educating players on and off the court. There has to be a difference between Izzo and Cal. Izzo cares for the program and players for the most part. Cal cares for himself and big money donors.

People can argue about this subject till next year. The bottom line is that the younger generation does not like to work hard and want everything handed to them. Those who think Izzo is wrong are probably younger crowd. People like me and Dr. Don are from old school and care about loyalty and teaching.

I agree with control freak coaches group. Coaches are paid to win as well as educating players on and off the court. There has to be a difference between Izzo and Cal. Izzo cares for the program and players for the most part. Cal cares for himself and big money donors.

People can argue about this subject till next year. The bottom line is that the younger generation does not like to work hard and want everything handed to them. Those who think Izzo is wrong are probably younger crowd. People like me and Dr. Don are from old school and care about loyalty and teaching.

Duh, Uh, Yuh, especially the teaching. :cool02:

BTW, I'm in Izzo's corner on this one.

I thought you got banned? lol that IZZO cares, ever seen that asshole in a huddle? Phil Mickelson of college hoops, it's all an act in front of the fans

I agree with control freak coaches group. Coaches are paid to win as well as educating players on and off the court. There has to be a difference between Izzo and Cal. Izzo cares for the program and players for the most part. Cal cares for himself and big money donors. People can argue about this subject till next year. The bottom line is that the younger generation does not like to work hard and want everything handed to them. Those who think Izzo is wrong are probably younger crowd. People like me and Dr. Don are from old school and care about loyalty and teaching.

I'm guessing you've never changed jobs, took a promotion, or switched companies in your entire life then huh? Just kept plugging away at that entry level spot to show loyalty and teaching.

This has nothing to do with loyalty or hard work and everything to do with kids desiring benefits for their hard work. How dare they try and go to the NBA too right? Should just play college forever with loyalty. How date they better their personal situation so the poor, wonderful Izzo feels better. I mean all these kids have no business using their personal talents to benefit themselves and improve their situation. Only crazy people do that.

I'm guessing you've never changed jobs, took a promotion, or switched companies in your entire life then huh? Just kept plugging away at that entry level spot to show loyalty and teaching.

This has nothing to do with loyalty or hard work and everything to do with kids desiring benefits for their hard work. How dare they try and go to the NBA too right? Should just play college forever with loyalty. How date they better their personal situation so the poor, wonderful Izzo feels better. I mean all these kids have no business using their personal talents to benefit themselves and improve their situation. Only crazy people do that.

Wow, just wow. Jumping from job to job is your ideal lifestyle then? I am not sure what the beef is with Izzo here. Like I said, kids are better of to be mentored by people like Izzo than Cal, Self, Brown...... That's is exactly why NBA is nothing but a joke these days. The same mentality exists there also.

I thought you got banned? lol that IZZO cares, ever seen that asshole in a huddle? Phil Mickelson of college hoops, it's all an act in front of the fans

Banned??? Only 2 of my posts have ever been deleted. I have never disrespected anybody here, have I? Like Bo Ryan, Izzo has really bad sideline antics. That's the only thing that I don't like about him. Otherwise, he always delivers with as much talent as he has. For what I have seen from Greene and other players, they all love to play for him. It can't be all about him. Those who transferred from his program to go to ISU, were troubled kids like Devoe.

Top Bottom