Men's hoops earns perfect APR score

960 is multi-year, 1000is 2013-13. 12-13 was a perfect year.

I would love to know how much of this improvement in football and basketball stems from coaches gaming the system by putting athletes in remedial classes and majors that are meant to keep them eligible and not offer a real education.

I would love to know how much of this improvement in football and basketball stems from coaches gaming the system by putting athletes in remedial classes and majors that are meant to keep them eligible and not offer a real education.

I think they're probably cheating. Too soon?

Seriously, why do you even post here? You clearly hate college sports. You spend most of your time here whining about the NCAA and its "illegal" activities, and now you're insinuating that it's impossible for college coaches to care about their players and steward them through a quality collegiate experience including a "real" education. Go follow the pros and leave the actual fans of college sports alone.

So you are wondering that maybe Coach Kill knew something that Mason & Brewster didn't? Well, he did.

Coach Kill has demanded accountability when it comes to academics and going to class. That is what this improvement is all about. Show up, hand in your work on time and keep your nose clean. If not you don't play or practice. His players respond to that inspite of the classes they take.

So you are wondering that maybe Coach Kill knew something that Mason & Brewster didn't? Well, he did.

Coach Kill has demanded accountability when it comes to academics and going to class. That is what this improvement is all about. Show up, hand in your work on time and keep your nose clean. If not you don't play or practice. His players respond to that inspite of the classes they take.

No. I'm wondering how much of the gains are due to honest-to-goodness hard work like you believe, and how much is due to treating athletes as mere mercenaries by placing them in Math for Dunces 101 in order to game the APR system while simultaneously providing no education benefit to the athletes.

I think this is a major problem at other schools, but not Minnesota. Heck, just take a look at half the schools in the football and basketball top 10s and ask yourself whether you really believe that they're recruiting only good students. This is the kind of list where being near the bottom is definitely bad, but being near the top doesn't really tell you much.

No. I'm wondering how much of the gains are due to honest-to-goodness hard work like you believe, and how much is due to treating athletes as mere mercenaries by placing them in Math for Dunces 101 in order to game the APR system while simultaneously providing no education benefit to the athletes.

Well, find out then. Do some research, sleuth around, ask questions, interview people, date the registrar, whatever. Do something to sate your curiosity. Don't just sit there radiating negativity. What kind of person wants to live like that?

Well, find out then. Do some research, sleuth around, ask questions, interview people, date the registrar, whatever. Do something to sate your curiosity. Don't just sit there radiating negativity. What kind of person wants to live like that?

Apparently you cannot handle curiosity. Geeze.

I'm sorry - I didn't mean for that to come out so personal. It's just that with extremely positive news, like this was, I didn't see much reason for unsubstantiated whispers against the coaching staff and administration.

I think the point he is making is that what you're saying is not new. You're acting like that would be a new trend for college athletes. So even if some are taking easy classes now, it probably was happening under Mason and Brewster as well.

I found an article saying many schools have acedemic clusters. Meaning that several players on the same team major in the same subject.

It seems like he can handle curiosity just fine. I don't want to put words in his mouth, so I'll speak for myself. I can handle curiosity. What I can't handle is baseless assumptions veiled as curiosity.

I think it's a fair question given that there have been similar situations at other schools, including big-time programs with a solid academic reputation. As GophersInIowa pointed out, some players may take easier courses or majors, but that's probably happened with every coach. Some students in the general population take easier majors, too. What percentage of athletes versus the general population takes easier majors? I have no clue. That said, as others have stated, I would attribute it more to coaches holding the players accountable. And maybe, just maybe, the coaches are placing a greater emphasis on academics in the recruiting process.

Also, I think it is worth noting that we should attribute the basketball performance largely to Tubby Smith. I don't want the thread to devolve into a rehash of Tubby Smith, because I thought it was time to move on, but give props where props are due.

It seems like he can handle curiosity just fine. I don't want to put words in his mouth, so I'll speak for myself. I can handle curiosity. What I can't handle is baseless assumptions veiled as curiosity.

This post seems unnecessary. You're over-analysing. If I assumed what you seem to he implying, then it would be clear to you. You wouldn't need to try to read my mind.

Thank you, dpo. I actually like your posts when they're novel.

Gopherguy: Do you honestly think that our former coaches/players were oblivious to the idea of taking easier classes? There are a lot more logical factors (some already pointed out by others) that seem more likely. I don't think people are really buying the curiosity angle there. It seems more likely that you just wanted an excuse to crap all over the academic achievement of football/basketball players.

Seriously, why do you even post here? You clearly hate college sports. You spend most of your time here whining about the NCAA and its "illegal" activities, and now you're insinuating that it's impossible for college coaches to care about their players and steward them through a quality collegiate experience including a "real" education. Go follow the pros and leave the actual fans of college sports alone.

I'm sorry, but APR is a meaningless measurement when Indiana has a perfect 4 year APR. How many kids transferred or declared early for the NBA? The calculations are manufactured to get the result the NCAA wants, which is the appearance of caring about education.

Why don't you ask the Hollins guys how easy and remedial The Carlson School of Management is? Is that not hard enough for you? I remember sitting at football games and watching the introductions on the video board and seemed like a lot of majors in Business and Sciences and not very many general studies majors. Gave me a sense of pride.

You don't finish 4th in this study behind Duke, Northwestern, & Notre Dame and offer easy tracks for over 700 student-athletes.

Thank you, dpo. I actually like your posts when they're novel.

Gopherguy: Do you honestly think that our former coaches/players were oblivious to the idea of taking easier classes? There are a lot more logical factors (some already pointed out by others) that seem more likely. I don't think people are really buying the curiosity angle there. It seems more likely that you just wanted an excuse to crap all over the academic achievement of football/basketball players.

Unlike some here, I'm not giving either argument the benefit of the doubt. Both processes, lacking contrary evidence, are equally plausible. In fact, both are probably reasons for the increase. However, it is absolutely reasonable and probably dutiful for people to know how the number was achieved. The explanation for the outcome is almost always more important than the outcome itself. As a general rule as a lawyer, and in life, you shouldn't take anything at face value.

I'm not bashing the athletic department at all. However, I would heavily bash them if they achieved the APR score by treating players as athletic mercenaries as opposed to real students.

Top Bottom