Nice get for Women's team - Shae Kelly transferring to U from Old Dominion

tinyarch

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_25745187/womens-basketball-old-dominion-star-transferring-minnesota

Old Dominion's leading scorer and rebounder, Shae Kelley, is transferring to play for new Gophers women's basketball coach Marlene Stollings, according to a person with knowledge of the move.

Kelley, a 6-foot-1 forward, averaged 17.8 points and 9.7 rebounds a game to earn All-Conference USA first-team honors this season.

The Denver native has one more season of eligibility remaining and is expected to play immediately.

As a sophomore, Kelley ranked second on the team in scoring (13.5 points) and led ODU in rebounding (8.5). She was selected to the all-conference second team.

Several other programs were interested in her as a Division I transfer, including Louisville.

Looks like our Gopher Ladies could be moving up quickly in the B1G this season!

Sounds great. Team should be pretty good next season.

Better start saving for the wife's trip to the Final Four.

POLLYANNA!!!

http://ladyswish.blogspot.com/2014/05/odus-shae-kelley-leaving-program-for.html

This note explains a lot. Wow! I told you guys our new coach had a plan. HA Hire an assistant that brings a player... genius.

This website has a more in depth piece up now. Kelley picked the U over Michigan State, Oregon, Florida, Mississippi, and Indiana. Louisville and LSU have been mentioned in other articles.

http://ladyswish.blogspot.com/2014/05/talking-to-odus-shae-kelley-about-why.html

"Amanda and Rachel, I really connected with them," Kelley said. "I feel I'm the missing piece and we can really make some noise at Minnesota."

Better start saving for the wife's trip to the Final Four.

POLLYANNA!!!

I'm really fired up to watch this team next year and really expect big things. However ... Stollings had better be the coach Woody thinks she is right away. No place to learn on the job. Talent looks great on paper, but you have three players who are used to being the go-to player as well as a talented big who needs to get the ball. Then there is the question of who will commit totally to playing defense. Hopefully, Banham really buys in because this is her last chance to play in the tourney. I'm guessing she will and will be fine without being Options 1, 2, and 3.

More than excited. Take it from someone who had season tickets to the men's team for 38 years and puts little or no stock in an NIT championship. I was in San Antonio and Indianapolis in 97 and in New Orleans in 04. This women's team will be a great one provided they gel. I like good basketball at any level especially when I have been witness to so many years of mediocre basketball including this past year. If the women reach the final four I will be there.

You don't have to

Just because for whatever reason you don't like the hiring of Stollings doesn't mean you have to make stuff up.

but I will give her credit. Nik coached at ODU for 7 seasons prior to moving VCU. You don't think she has any ties or relationships to anyone at ODU? VCU played Kelley and ODU twice. I'd say Nik probably played a part in Kelley becoming a Gopher. I believe Kelley was a target for us. Sorry, you disagree. I do think Kelley being a Gopher is a great thing. To me that all adds up to compliment to our new coaches versus a criticism. Confused how you would see it differently?

Keep this up and the Gopher women could be exciting to watch again in quick fashion. Great news!

Keep this up and the Gopher women could be exciting to watch again in quick fashion. Great news!

North Carolina is in Stollings and staff's comfort zone recruiting-wise, and the Gophers need a SF, so.... Diamond DeShields anyone?? :cool:
*I know it absolutely wont happen, but letting my imagination run wild, DeShields could turn a team like this into a Final Four contender.

but I will give her credit. Nik coached at ODU for 7 seasons prior to moving VCU. You don't think she has any ties or relationships to anyone at ODU? VCU played Kelley and ODU twice. I'd say Nik probably played a part in Kelley becoming a Gopher. I believe Kelley was a target for us. Sorry, you disagree. I do think Kelley being a Gopher is a great thing. To me that all adds up to compliment to our new coaches versus a criticism. Confused how you would see it differently?

Dawkins almost certainly played a role in getting Kelley here. That we agree on.

You said the head coach hired Dawkins in order to bring in a good player. I think that was 1) a cheap shot at the new coach, 2) simply untrue.

So, that's how I see it differently.

You said the head coach hired Dawkins in order to bring in a good player. I think that was 1) a cheap shot at the new coach, 2) simply untrue.

Remember he's the same guy who went after Stollings for the failure to establish a trusting relationship with the players which was absurd considering whom she replaced. 60's Guy has climbed out quite far on a limb and is attempting to scurry back and trying to save face at the same time.

Well, there certainly won't be any lack of talent for the Gopher women next year. Probably the most talented group of players the program has seen since the Final Four days.

Looking forward to seeing how it comes together on the court.

Okay

Dawkins almost certainly played a role in getting Kelley here. That we agree on.

So, that's how I see it differently.

ya, I'd say that assessment of what I said was accurate on the whole. But, I am pleased by the addition of Kelley.

Barring any major injuries, no excuses for the Gopher women next season. If Kelley's play translates well to the Big Ten, this should be nothing less than a Big Ten title contender. As a whole Big Ten women's basketball is pretty weak, so having 3 studs (studesses?) in Banham, ZB, and Kelley along with a prize freshman (Wagner) puts the Gophers well ahead of the curve. This team should not be sneaking in to the NCAA tourney. Will be interesting to see how they handle expectations. Teague got a new coach in here at a good time. Have to capitalize with this top-end talent. If Stollings sputters with this squad there will be immediate concerns about the hire.

Remember he's the same guy who went after Stollings for the failure to establish a trusting relationship with the players which was absurd considering whom she replaced. 60's Guy has climbed out quite far on a limb and is attempting to scurry back and trying to save face at the same time.

My thoughts Mully on Stollings were more along the lines of here we go again. TJ is right, my comment had a cheap shot tone to it and I'm not all in just yet. Prior to this addition, Stollings inherited top 5 conference talent and I did not see anything positive coming from anything she said or did. This is positive news. Let's see how the season plays out. Keep in mind my frustration is in wanting the Gophers to be better than they presently are.

Top Bottom