Detroit Free Press: NCAA committee proposes another change to block/charge rule

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Detroit Free Press:

The Men's Basketball Rules Committee, which met Wednesday through Friday in Indianapolis, proposed a change that will require a defending player to be in legal guarding position before the airborne player leaves the floor to pass or shoot. The defending player would not allowed to move in any direction - except vertically to block a shot - before contact occurs.

The proposal must be approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which meets via teleconference on June 25.

"This alteration will impact block/charge plays in an effort to make this play easier to coach and officiate," said Rick Byrd, head coach at Belmont University and chair of the committee, which met jointly with the National Association of Basketball Coaches board of directors and the Division I Men's Basketball Championship Committee. "In our discussions, the men's basketball community, including coaches, officials and administrators, agreed that this rule needed adjustment."

http://www.freep.com/usatoday/article/8906185

Go Gophers!!

I think they cleaned the game up pretty well last season. They made it basketball instead of football, which it had become. I would prefer more scrutiny on hand-checking, reducing the shot clock, and expanding the three to the international line.

I appreciate a season without any(or many) changes to allow the referees to become more consistent game to game and home team vs. away team on calls.

The game was a lot better last year except for a few games where there was contact on a drive or dribble which were not fouls being called.. This is a contact sport and not all contact is a foul. Displacing, impeding, having not established legal guarding position are fouls. So just want the refs to get on the same page and I think another year they will get there. There are a few bad officials out there yet.

Top Bottom