MN Daily: Pitino’s six recruits could shape program

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

The Gophers men’s head basketball coach punctuated his first season at the helm with an NIT title, but he knows future recruiting efforts are going to make the difference in the program turnaround.

“I think the one thing you do [as a head coach], 95 percent of the time, is you wake up and think about recruiting,” Pitino said before the season. “It’s the lifeblood of our program. I know the great coaches … have great players.”

Pitino, however, doesn’t seem to recruit by rankings. He recruits by need and fit.

“I think coaches know what type of players they need for their system [for the] success of the team next season,” said Konate, an athletic center who has a fairly good chance to slide right into the fast-paced system next year.

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/mens-basketball/2014/05/08/pitino’s-six-recruits-could-shape-program

Go Gophers!!

I don't think the article is saying he isn't redshirting but I don't think he will. Pitino will want three Centers. I'm guessing Konate is #3.

So you're saying we need 15 fouls to give?:rolleyes:

Didn't we have Oto playing the five spot at times during the NIT?

Also worth mentioning the fact that Konate will likely be the only true center with college experience on the team moving into the 2015-2016 season. Why not try to get him some Big Ten experience? Can we expect him to hold up in the Big Ten as a redshirt freshman? That is a move that sacrifices these upcoming seasons in order to gain ONE extra year. I hope that in four years, Pitino will be able to bring guys into the program that can step in a year or two after signing.

Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see anything that stated that. Other than the author's opinion that there is a "chance" he could play next year.

Correct.
- - -

Pitino, however, doesn’t seem to recruit by rankings. He recruits by need and fit.

“I think coaches know what type of players they need for their system [for the] success of the team next season,” said Konate, an athletic center who has a fairly good chance to slide right into the fast-paced system next year.

honestly all 6 of these guys feel like 'rotation' guys. Good players that can be vital cogs but nobody that you'll build an offense around. Now maybe you can have enough good players to truly spread the ball around but most teams need a 'guy' that can take the reigns. I don't see a lead dog here yet

honestly all 6 of these guys feel like 'rotation' guys. Good players that can be vital cogs but nobody that you'll build an offense around. Now maybe you can have enough good players to truly spread the ball around but most teams need a 'guy' that can take the reigns. I don't see a lead dog here yet

I agree. Hope one can be that guy in two seasons.

I think people will be surprised by Nate Mason. All the kid does is produce on very good teams. He won back to back championships his first two years of High School. He transfered to Shiloh his Junior year. He didn't win a championship, but he made it to state after a clutch preformance in the regional finals. Then this past season, he wins another state championship, while earning MVP honors to go with it. On top of all that, he was one of the top contributors on his EYBL team. Who happened to be one of the best teams in the EYBL.

I think people will be surprised by Nate Mason. All the kid does is produce on very good teams. He won back to back championships his first two years of High School. He transfered to Shiloh his Junior year. He didn't win a championship, but he made it to state after a clutch preformance in the regional finals. Then this past season, he wins another state championship, while earning MVP honors to go with it. On top of all that, he was one of the top contributors on his EYBL team. Who happened to be one of the best teams in the EYBL.

I think he can be a solid PG. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll be the star offensive player that most teams need. That said I didn't see that in Justin Cobbs either and he turned into the main guy for Cal by his senior year

I'd say that's a pretty good assessment. The one guy that did become a high scorer this year was Josh Martin (I thought I heard he was the top scorer is Washington?)- so maybe there is a possibility he will be that type of guy down the line. Otherwise it will have to be someone stepping up their game to become "the guy".

That's tough to say at this point in time. There is no reason that one of these guys cannot step up and perform as more than a 'rotation' guy.......especially after a couple of years in the system. I see a few guys in this class that could be the guy who leads. Considering the way that Mathieu came in and took over in his first year.......I have no doubt that Pitino knows what kind of players he is bringing in.

That's tough to say at this point in time. There is no reason that one of these guys cannot step up and perform as more than a 'rotation' guy.......especially after a couple of years in the system. I see a few guys in this class that could be the guy who leads. Considering the way that Mathieu came in and took over in his first year.....I have no doubt that Pitino knows what kind of players he is bringing in..

Now there is a DUH.

Lets at least wait until these young players get to the UM and show where they are at. Watching the Fall Scrimmage, it was obvious that Mathieu would be more of a "rotation guy" and he ended up as the MVP in my book. Mrs Bayfield could see that he made things happen and she is kinda in the dark when it comes to hoops. But she was right on.

Lets at least wait until these young players get to the UM and show where they are at. Watching the Fall Scrimmage, it was obvious that Mathieu would be more of a "rotation guy" and he ended up as the MVP in my book. Mrs Bayfield could see that he made things happen and she is kinda in the dark when it comes to hoops. But she was right on.

Whoa now. Are you saying that Ms. Bayfield knows more than our experts??? Not surprising, Bayfield!!!

I think any and all these guys have potential to be premier players.
I have high expectations of squirrel after a short adjustment period.
Martin does not have a "role position" personality combined with his leaping ability, I think he is gonna be fun to watch.
From what I hear Nate is a small scoring guard (hopefully like Iverson or Nate Robinson)
The staff feels Lofton is possibly the most talented player currently on the roster as much as us fans doubt him...also he has many connections to in state recruits, if him and King can become successful here it may encourage a few more of our in state studs to stay home.

konate and deihdou are the question marks.
But if they can run, jump, defend, and rebound this class will be very good and shape the future.

Fans aren't satisfied now because we aren't seeing 4 & 5 star recruits, but coach p is recruiting towards his style of play, talent he can see with his own eyes, and with the confidence that he can coach players up and develop them.

Fans aren't satisfied now because we aren't seeing 4 & 5 star recruits, but coach p is recruiting towards his style of play, talent he can see with his own eyes, and with the confidence that he can coach players up and develop them.

Reality is he missed on about 10 top 100 guys and another 10 guys he offered before moving to some of these players. That's how it goes, would have been nice to grab one or two of those players..

I'm optimistic for the recruiting class, but can't pretend he targeted these guys as top talent right away.

IMO these 6 recruits won't be the ones to shape the program, but I think they positioned themselves so the next 4 will. I thought Coach P. and staff did a very good job filling the holes for next season, and particularly like what they did for 2015/2016. Really like Martin and Lofton.

IMO these 6 recruits won't be the ones to shape the program, but I think they positioned themselves so the next 4 will. I thought Coach P. and staff did a very good job filling the holes for next season, and particularly like what they did for 2015/2016. Really like Martin and Lofton.

I think you are right. This class fills in so many holes we had on our roster. We got some big athletic big men to run Pitino's game. Exciting. I also have big hopes for Nate Mason

Patience

We are slowly building a quality roster. No one is top 100 so we cannot see an automatic double figure scorer, but someone should develop. One more nice season with an NCAA run and I could see a top 100 type recruit or two commiting. Those are the type of guys you can see being double figure scorers within a year or two.

On another note if you cannot get the top 100 guys thats when you say i get lower ranked guys that fit my system, but hey lots of quality programs are built this way, not everyone can be a blue blood who choses which Mcdonald's all americans they want.

I think you are right. This class fills in so many holes we had on our roster. We got some big athletic big men to run Pitino's game. Exciting. I also have big hopes for Nate Mason[/QUOTE

We are slowly building a quality roster. No one is top 100 so we cannot see an automatic double figure scorer, but someone should develop. One more nice season with an NCAA run and I could see a top 100 type recruit or two commiting. Those are the type of guys you can see being double figure scorers within a year or two.

On another note if you cannot get the top 100 guys thats when you say i get lower ranked guys that fit my system, but hey lots of quality programs are built this way, not everyone can be a blue blood who choses which Mcdonald's all americans they want.

I think you are right. This class fills in so many holes we had on our roster. We got some big athletic big men to run Pitino's game. Exciting. I also have big hopes for Nate Mason[/QUOTE

+1

We'll see. And I think its a poor argument to say 'fans aren't happy because they're not seeing 4 & 5 star recruits' as if we're just star chasers. The reality is that the staff pursued the higher ranked guys hard and once we lost out on guys like Vaughn, Travis, Jones, Whitehead, Tum Tum, etc we then moved on to plan B and C guys. Are those guys solid players? It appears so, but again nobody seems like a future star. Again that doesn't mean none of them are, but initially none look like guys that would make a huge difference individually.

Great players, well coached, win championships!

Inpatient people, at time myself, would love the 4 and 5 star guys who can put teams on the map in a hurry. But there are quality teams that are successful with hardly top 100 guys on the roster also: Kansas St.,Iowa St., St. Louis, most of gonzaga, ...gotta start somewhere.

We'll see. And I think its a poor argument to say 'fans aren't happy because they're not seeing 4 & 5 star recruits' as if we're just star chasers. The reality is that the staff pursued the higher ranked guys hard and once we lost out on guys like Vaughn, Travis, Jones, Whitehead, Tum Tum, etc we then moved on to plan B and C guys. Are those guys solid players? It appears so, but again nobody seems like a future star. Again that doesn't mean none of them are, but initially none look like guys that would make a huge difference individually.

Inpatient people, at time myself, would love the 4 and 5 star guys who can put teams on the map in a hurry. But there are quality teams that are successful with hardly top 100 guys on the roster also: Kansas St.,Iowa St., St. Louis, most of gonzaga, ...gotta start somewhere.

True but the problem is that most of those schools aren't in major conferences. ISU basically gets the equivalent of 4 star guys as they're constantly getting 3rd and 4th year players ready to contribute immediately. KSU has gotten good talent as well but less so. It can be done with a system and experienced players of course. Its just harder

Clem, Monson, and Tubby got some top 100 guys, Pitino will also, just be patient.

Top Bottom