Report: B1G Tournament Will Move To Washington D.C.

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Report: Big Ten Tournament To Relocate To Washington, D.C. <a href="http://t.co/7RDrMHgYrN">http://t.co/7RDrMHgYrN</a></p>— BT Powerhouse (@BTpowerhouse) <a href="https://twitter.com/BTpowerhouse/statuses/463146088065556480">May 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Interesting decision if true.

I can't imagine why, but I'd love it. I live in the DC Virginia suburbs.

Stupid. That is not big ten country. Why make it so much harder for some fans of schools to travel than fans for other schools? Keep it in Indy!

I hope not. Virtually every person or focus that has gone to DC has become corrupted and vile.

Report: Jim Delany has jumped the shark.

That would destroy the meaning of what it means to be a Big Ten school. This conference is a MIDWEST brand and has been for over 100 years, not an east coast brand. Delaney is destroying this great conference.

I can't imagine why, but I'd love it. I live in the DC Virginia suburbs.

Convenient for me as well.. I move out there in a week, and it's nice to know that Maryland home games won't be my only live big 10 fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not seen one single reputable source on this one yet....
This is where the story originates from, a guy at allhoosier.com. I dont know anything about him, but it would surprise the hell out of me if some guy writing for a blog were to break AND be the sole reporter on this story. While the fact that he's from Indiana intrigues me as he may have heard from IU that they no longer have the games in town.

I'm really surprised that it would be this year if it is. You would think they book these things further than 9 months out...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hearing the Big Ten Tournament will be moved out of Indianapolis and to Washington DC for at least one year. Disappointing. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23iubb&src=hash">#iubb</a></p>— Justin Albers (@Justin_Albers) <a href="https://twitter.com/Justin_Albers/statuses/463046785255362560">May 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

I would look at this as a positive, if you ever have hopes of the Twin Cities hosting this event. For a few reasons:

1) No way this will be a permanent relocation to Washington, DC. DC would be included in a rotation (and, I'd guess like once every ten years).
2) So, if the B1G is willing to let this thing happen in DC, then they might begin considering letting other cities on the extremes of the league to host, too.
3) No way Indy and Chicago are totally eliminated from the rotation. They will continue to get a bulk of the tourneys, IMHO.
4) The earliest a DC BTT could happen is 2017. The Big Ten is contracted to have the tourney in Chicago in 2015 and in Indianapolis in 2016.
5) If the league does move outside its traditional hosting zone, then I also wouldn't be surprised to see the B1G Tourney get a spot at Barclays or MSG, or Detroit or Minneapolis or Cleveland or Philly.

I'm really surprised that it would be this year if it is. You would think they book these things further than 9 months out...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hearing the Big Ten Tournament will be moved out of Indianapolis and to Washington DC for at least one year. Disappointing. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23iubb&src=hash">#iubb</a></p>— Justin Albers (@Justin_Albers) <a href="https://twitter.com/Justin_Albers/statuses/463046785255362560">May 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

If the rumor is true, the earliest it could go to Washington D.C. is 2017. Big Ten is contracted for 2015 in Chicago and 2016 in Indianapolis. (now I see that TJ just posted that)

The 2015 BTT is scheduled for Chicago. So, the earliest he could be talking is 2016. And, that's unlikely, too, as Indy has already agreed to host that year. If he is suggesting the Big Ten is pulling the 2016 out of Indy and into Washington DC, then that would be a surprise.

EDIT - sorry SS, looks like we are on the same wavelength this morning :)

Frankly, I don't mind this tourney getting a little variety, assuming they make it a fair rotation. Just as an example, if they were to move it around a little, a ten-year period like this would be good (if for nothing else than variety):

2017: Washington DC
2018: Indianapolis
2019: Chicago
2020: Barclays Center (New Jersey)
2021: Indianapolis
2022: Chicago
2023: Minneapolis
2024: Indianapolis
2025: Chicago
2026: Philadelphia

All about East Coast dollars. From the Rutgers inclusion, the Big East/Big Ten Challenge (whatever it's called), to moving the Big Ten tournament to Washington D.C. money money

The 2015 BTT is scheduled for Chicago. So, the earliest he could be talking is 2016. And, that's unlikely, too, as Indy has already agreed to host that year. If he is suggesting the Big Ten is pulling the 2016 out of Indy and into Washington DC, then that would be a surprise.

EDIT - sorry SS, looks like we are on the same wavelength this morning :)

Frankly, I don't mind this tourney getting a little variety, assuming they make it a fair rotation. Just as an example, if they were to move it around a little, a ten-year period like this would be good (if for nothing else than variety):

2017: Washington DC
2018: Indianapolis
2019: Chicago
2020: Barclays Center (New Jersey)
2021: Indianapolis
2022: Chicago
2023: Minneapolis
2024: Indianapolis
2025: Chicago
2026: Philadelphia

I could get behind something like that, and would probably consider making it a annual trip with my Dad or something of that nature...

That's dumb if true. Most fans can drive to Indy/Chicago. Who is going to drive to DC and maybe only see your team play 1 game. Dumb dumb dumb.

That's dumb if true. Most fans can drive to Indy/Chicago. Who is going to drive to DC and maybe only see your team play 1 game. Dumb dumb dumb.

Again, remember, there is no way this would be a permanent move to Washington DC.

And, not that its a big deal, but Maryland, Penn State, Rutgers, Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State are a shorter drive to Washington DC, than Minneapolis is to Indianapolis.

But, yes, in general terms, Indy and Chicago are much more centrally located for most of the league's members, which is almost certainly why the league would continue to host a majority of the BTTs in those two spots.

Indy (atmosphere & venue) and Chicago (location) both have their advantages, but would have no problem with the tournament moving around a little bit.

This has got to be some sort of practical joke. Is this guy a writer for the Onion?

This has got to be some sort of practical joke. Is this guy a writer for the Onion?

There was talk of an east coast site when the two outsiders were brought in. I have no problem with a once a decade situation, but if moves too far from the real Big Ten footprint too much, the event will die as a live event. The crowds in Indy and Chicago grow as the weekend progresses because so many schools are an easy drive from them. Personally, I like the famaliarity of frequently used venues versus constant rotation.

This is great! Why should it be in Indy and Chicago every year? Move it around. Put it in DC one year, put it in NY one year (too bad, Big East), put it in Minneapolis, Detroit, Philly. There are probably 7 or 8 cities in the B1G footprint that would be good places to have the tourney. Leaving it in Indy and Chicago every year unnecessarily limits exposure.

. ... I have no problem with a once a decade situation, but if moves too far from the real Big Ten footprint too much, the event will die as a live event.

My thoughts as well. D.C., other locales, etc., will be fine on occasion, but it needs to stay in Indy & Chicago on a fairly regular basis. Having it out East frequently would be a great way to kill attendance.

But I suspect if Commish Delany really wants to push this East Coast thing it's gonna' happen. There might be a few pi**ed off folks in Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Omaha, etc., if Washington D.C. gets a Big Ten tourney before some of those cities that have already expressed a desire for it.

Perhaps even the Fargodome when NDSU joins the league.

My thoughts as well. D.C., other locales, etc., will be fine on occasion, but it needs to stay in Indy & Chicago on a fairly regular basis. Having it out East frequently would be a great way to kill attendance.

SS, as someone who seems to go frequently, are the fan bases represented fairly evenly at Indy (and Chicago) or is there a noticeable advantage for the team closest to the site?

SS, as someone who seems to go frequently, are the fan bases represented fairly evenly at Indy (and Chicago) or is there a noticeable advantage for the team closest to the site?

Teams that almost always draw well, whether it's Indy or Chicago

Illinois
Indiana
Michigan State
Ohio State

Wisconsin draws well, but I don't think quite as much in Indy. Michigan attendance was poor until Beilein turned them into an elite program. They've really picked it up the last couple years. Northwestern & Penn State always have the crappiest fan turn-out.

Illinois
Indiana
Michigan State
Ohio State

Wisconsin draws well, but I don't think quite as much in Indy. Michigan attendance was poor until Beilein turned them into an elite program. They've really picked it up the last couple years. Northwestern & Penn State always have the crappiest fan turn-out.

Basically the teams that have to travel a little bit but are not perennial multi game winners dont show up.

What is attendance overall like right now?

Moving it there once, or once a decade is one thing. If they move it there permanently, Delaney will be run out of town. As east coast sites go, Philly makes more sense. Reasonably central to PSU, Rutgers and Maryland. DC is a huge home court advantage to Maryland and not many others will go.

Illinois
Indiana
Michigan State
Ohio State

How about Purdue I always assumed in Indy they would have a great turn out?

Top Bottom