Big Ten vs Big East Series

Blizzard

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken this was just announced. Sorry if it was posted elsewhere.

Press conference about it tomorrow according to several reports.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Big Ten & Big East making a hoops announcement Monday at Madison Square Garden. Looks like there will be some MSG games between the leagues.</p>— Scott Dochterman (@ScottDochterman) <a href="https://twitter.com/ScottDochterman/statuses/463046909435736064">May 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Big East and Big Ten will begin a series to tip off season beginning in 2015-16 at campus sites. Event to honor Hall of Famer Dave Gavitt.

Posted by one of the east coast writers.

I was hoping we'd see all schools in it, not just 8 per year.

Some geographic battles we could see:
Georgetown-Maryland
Nebraska-Creighton
Indiana-Butler
Marquette-Wisconsin
Seton Hall-Rutgers
DePaul-Illinois

There are only going to be 8 games each season between the conferences according to a report that I read. If that is true, and with the reported priorities being competitiveness and geography, and the Big Ten now with 14 teams, I would expect that the Gophers will be one of the programs from the Big Ten that isn't going to be participating in it each and every season. Almost half of the Big Ten is not going to participate in this event in a given year.

I was hoping we'd see all schools in it, not just 8 per year.

Some geographic battles we could see:
Georgetown-Maryland
Nebraska-Creighton
Indiana-Butler
Marquette-Wisconsin
Seton Hall-Rutgers
DePaul-Illinois

OSU-Xavier will probably happen in the first year of the event, I don't think they can resist going for that rather sorely neglected matchup. I believe Seton Hall and Rutgers are already planning on playing each other on a long-term basis in nonconference play so I'm not sure they would play in this event.

Indiana and Purdue both play Butler every other year in the Crossroads Classic. Not sure how much longer that will run, but they might not be hankering to match up Butler with those teams all that regularly in this event.

Marquette/Wisconsin already play every year, usually the first week in December I believe, so they won't play each other in this.

Nebraska and Creighton also play every year already.

Just because all those teams play each other once a year doesn't mean those meetings couldn't happen in this series

Just because all those teams play each other once a year doesn't mean those meetings couldn't happen in this series
I would think there is a pretty good chance those teams wouldn't meet in this series. I would guess neither team would really wanna face each other twice a year in non-conference play.

I would guess the maximum number of times that any individual B1G school will play in this event will be 6 with the status quo. I truly hope the Big East expands to 12 teams and they add a couple of games to this event so there is more flexibility for additional games for the B1G teams and it's not a situation where you are going to miss out of it as much as you are going to play in it.

Hopefully we get a Marquette matchup sometime. I would expect us to probably play in this event every other year.

Hopefully we get a Marquette matchup sometime. I would expect us to probably play in this event every other year.

Yea if this gets the Gophs a couple matchups with Marquette and Creighton, I'll be happy.

I would think there is a pretty good chance those teams wouldn't meet in this series. I would guess neither team would really wanna face each other twice a year in non-conference play.

Those teams would not have to play twice in the non-conference to have the game played in this series. Which I believe the poster was trying to point out.

Looking at it from the Big East standpoint, they may be creating a number of "???" matchups, especially since they probably won't do repeats of games that are already being scheduled like PU/IU vs. Butler, UW-MU, and Creighton-Nebraska. Creighton you can probably figure easily, they should get a series against each of Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Marquette should get Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska/Illinois. DePaul also seems easy, a series against Illinois, Northwestern and Purdue. But they are requiring teams like Providence, Seton Hall and St John's to each have 3 series against B1G teams, but who do you pit them against? Each of those 3 is probably going to get one or two home & homes against the trio of PSU/Rutgers/Maryland. But teams like OSU, MSU, UM and UW will probably be pitted mostly against the group of Georgetown, Villanova, Xavier and Butler. So you're going to end up with some matchups like Illinois-St John's, Nebraska-Seton Hall or Indiana-Providence that just seem like odd combinations.

Those teams would not have to play twice in the non-conference to have the game played in this series. Which I believe the poster was trying to point out.
Thank you. Yes, that's what I was trying to say.

If we can get more games in MSG and further exposure out east, I'm all for it. would be great for recruiting in an area which the staff already seems to have ins

So it sounds like all of these would be neutral-site games, or just some of 'em?

So it sounds like all of these would be neutral-site games, or just some of 'em?

No, these games would be played at HOME sites, according to BTN's webpage story on this.

The Gavitt Tipoff Games will be played on four consecutive days in the first full week of the college basketball season. The series begins at the start of the 2015-16 season and will span eight years, with games played at home sites.

No, these games would be played at HOME sites, according to BTN's webpage story on this.

The Gavitt Tipoff Games will be played on four consecutive days in the first full week of the college basketball season. The series begins at the start of the 2015-16 season and will span eight years, with games played at home sites.

Fantastic, thanks. Whatever it takes to get quality games played on actual college campuses, I'm all for it.

I wouldn't mind seeing us do a B1G/ACC challenge type series with all of the major conferences (Big East, AAC, Pac-18, Big 12, ACC, SEC). That would guaranty us 6 OOC games, half of which would be at home, against schools I have heard of. And cut out 6 games against teams like T-A&M-CC.

MSG is a home arena for St John's, not their only home arena but one of their options. That is why MSG is being discussed.

Top Bottom