Why the Gophers will improve in 2014/5

Reaction score
I really think we will be better.

1. Andre Hollins will be ready to prove why he belongs on the All B1G team with a high teens PPG average.
2. DreM will cut down his mistakes and become one of the top 3 point guards in the BIG.
3. Mo Walker will become a double digit scorer and will have help on the block from....
4. A certain promising, bruising freshman from Washington who will make the B1G freshman of the year team.
5. Shhhhhhhhhh: Carlos Morris is a sleeper who will ably man the 3.
6. The Gophers will have far more depth than they had in 2013/4.

(I deny that any intoxicants contributed to this post).

When does the season start?

Its simpler then that. We return 4 starters and any time a team returns 4 or more they should be better and 2 or less they should be worse. I am expecting more improvement in football then basketball though.

BOUNDOUT...Your disclaimer? Think about it. :cool02:

You don't think we'll have more depth?

My hope is depth and the staff's development skills are where we catch up with some of the top teams. Really need to see what they look like when they hit the court next season.

1.Yogi Ferrel
2.Myles Mack
3.Lil Dre

I already see Dre as a top 3 PG.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

1. Andre Hollins will be ready to prove why he belongs on the All B1G team with a high teens PPG average.
2. DreM will cut down his mistakes and become one of the top 3 point guards in the BIG.
3. Mo Walker will become a double digit scorer and will have help on the block from....
4. A certain promising, bruising freshman from Washington who will make the B1G freshman of the year team.

Yeah, though most of this is redundant and can be boiled to down to the same point -- The Gophers return most of their important players and they will be individually improved (year older, stronger, another offseason to work on their game) and improved functioning as a team in Pitino's system for the second year.

If the team can stay away from significant injuries for once (and Hollins can get back to 100%), I think we will be a lot better than the prognosticators expect. If not, I still think we're an NCAA tournament team and thus slightly better than we're being predicted to finish.

1.Yogi Ferrel
2.Myles Mack
3.Lil Dre

I already see Dre as a top 3 PG.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Yogi's accolades last year seem to me to be the result of people focusing too much on individual stats instead of team accomplishments. Indiana should have been better last year and Yogi's domination of the ball might be a significant reason why they weren't. Also, as turnover prone as Minnesota seemed last year, Indiana led the conference by a significant margin while being pretty average in assists. At this point I would much rather have Deandre than Yogi.

1) I won't go as far as your #1, but I think he has to be better as a senior than he was as a junior.
2) Agreed (although I think he already is one; he just lacks the same reputation and promotion of some others). He should be even better next year as he will better understand how to cut down on errors.
3)-5) Don't care to make predictions about any other individuals.
6) Yes. They have five of their top six players back and welcome 6 newcomers with at least four or five who should be eligible to play. If at least two of those players have a good first year (doesn't have to be as good as Deandre's but should be better than Malik's), then the team will have significantly more depth. Add greater height and continued development of Joey, McNeil, and possibly even Buggs and the Gophers should be in better shape next year than they were this year.

The Gophers will be much, much better next year. Depth is the biggest reason IMO. Depth affects far more than just bench play…it makes practices better, it reduces injuries as players get necessary rest, not having to play injured as much. I also think Mo will improve a ton. I also think Joey will do much better when he is not asked to do everything…he'll become more of a role player. I also think Martin will be getting significant minutes by the end of the year. I have tons of confidence in Pitino getting players to maximize their potential and make the team play hard for 40 minutes. For that reason alone, the Gophers will once again make the experts look bad….and I have full confidence they will be playing in the NCAA tourney…

IMO the most important man is Dre Hollins. If he reaches his potential, Gophers are top 5 in B1G. The team just needs that reliable jump shooter who prevents the 6 minute droughts and makes the pick roll.

Don't give up on Eliot Eliason. I still see him playing an important role as a defensive stopper/energy guy off the bench - or even starting to set the tone. IF he can become a little more effective on offense, and cut down on the stupid fouls, I could easily see EE and Mo splitting time almost 50-50 at the low post. Mo, for all his improvement this year, is not (IMHO) a great defender, and his lack of hops drives me bats.

I think Elliot will continue to be the starter at center.

good post

High probability: #1, 2, 3, and 6. Walker at 8p, 6r through the NIT.
low probability: 4, in a conference losing lots of staters and many McD all americans coming in this is doubtful. SG Russell oh. st. is probably the favorite.
"so your saying there's a chance?": 5.
I care more about his defense than offense, which is strange.

Top Bottom