Big Ten is WIDE open

ChemEGopher

Section 133 Row 28!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
If the ACC-Big Ten Challenge proved anything, it's that the Big ten is wide open. There is no team head and shoulders above the rest. Purdue is still likely the favorite, but there no clear pecking order after that. I've seen nothing to suggest that our top five of Nolen, Westbrook, Hoffarber, Johnson, and Iverson can't compete with any other top five in the Big Ten. Now that may be more of a reflection of the lack of talent shown by the perennial contenders, but it is exciting none the less. By the time the conference play rolls our new guys should be fully acclimated and we'll have the deepest bench in the conference. This leaves me with one question: Why not us?

Don't take this the wrong way, but I really think that the injuries to DJ and big Jon were incredibly advantageous for the development of our new guys. That experience is going to translate into closer games and more wins, especially with Colt.

A quick question. When Williams gets back what do we do with Sampson? I've understood all along, but I'm not sure why, that he was thought of more as a power forward than a center. Will he move over and share time with Johnson?

I'd also say that the talent level of UNC and Duke surpasses any other team that was present in the Big 10/ACC Challenge-I'd expect both those teams to run roughshod over the ACC, with the possible exception of Wake presenting a challenge for 2nd place. If you recall last year's
Big 10/ACC Challenge,Duke blew out Wisconsin, probably the worst game I've ever seen a Bo Ryan team play, and the Badgers went on to win the Big Ten with ease. I still think the Gophers and everyone else have a ways to go to match up against Purdue, Michigan State, and Wisky. It might not be long, but I don't think it's this year.

I agree w/ coolhand...does any B10 fan argue that our teams are on par w/ Duke and UNC?? I don't ever...most of the other games were enjoyable contests to watch (except IU...yikes...how they got paired w/ the ACC team fighting for 2nd I have no idea).
plus, NC St didn't play this year in the challenge and they are picked for 10th in the ACC...I thought one of the "middle" teams was supposed to sit out, not a bottom feeder?? this is not an excuse for B10 losing, just an observation.

I would not sleep on Wisconsin. I think this could be the best team Ryan has had.

The Badgers may not go 16-2 in the Big 10 again because the conference is better, but the Badger are deep and talented.

The Gophers are going to be better, there is no doubt. I am interested to see how they play when they face a team that can play better defense then they have faced to this point.

The Big 10 is going to be very entertaining this year.

It just seems like it might take a while for the players to settle into roles. I think we'll be very good once it gets settled. But it may be the end of January for this team to really pull it together. Hopefully we've won enough that it will be a very meaningful stretch run.

I would not sleep on Wisconsin. I think this could be the best team Ryan has had.

The Badgers may not go 16-2 in the Big 10 again because the conference is better, but the Badger are deep and talented.

The Gophers are going to be better, there is no doubt. I am interested to see how they play when they face a team that can play better defense then they have faced to this point.

The Big 10 is going to be very entertaining this year.

This Badger team is not near as good as last year let alone anyhwere near Bo Ryan's best.

Badgers are worse than last year

This Badger team is not near as good as last year let alone anyhwere near Bo Ryan's best.

I tend to agree. What do the Badgers have that we don't? Trevon Hughes? We have Westbrook. Landry? We have DJ/PC. Bohanan? We've got the Hoff. Krab? We got the bigger and better South Dakota boy.

It's by making comparisons like this with teams across the league that makes me think the Gophers have as a good a shot as anyone at a top two or three finish. I agree a lot of things need to come together before conference play begins, but we have a legitimate shot, and that's more than could be said about any recent Gopher team.

I'm done underestimating Bo Ryan coached teams. It just makes me look foolish.

I cannot WAIT for BT season to start. The Louisville game should be quite entertaining as well.

And another point. Two sleepers may be Michigan and Penn State(heck, even NW beat FSU by a significant margin)

Nice call on Penn State. I think they could be very tough this season, if Stanley Pringle can continue his strong start. Pringle alongside Talor Battle and Cornley gives the Nittany Lions three strong options on offense and that can spell trouble. I see they still are having problem with free throws though.

The only loss they've had was at home to Rhode Island, which is a pretty solid team. It doesn't look like they'll really be tested anymore in the non-conference unless Temple rises out of their doldrums.

The only thing I will predict about up and coming Big 10 games, is always, always, always bet on the home team by 10 points.

Coolhand has it right

I also agree with Coolhand. After watching the UNC and Duke games, they were way better than any team (obviously) that the Big Ten has to offer, and those losses were more on the strength of UNC and Duke rather than Purdue and Michigan State being on par with the rest of the Big Ten.

I think Michigan State will win the Big Ten with Purdue coming in close behind. I am not too impressed with the Badgers. There is no reason that the Gophers can't finish in the top five in the Big Ten and make the dance.

Defense

It appears that the Gophers are unlike most teams in the Big Ten, in that they rely greatly upon their attacking defense and the points off of steals and turnovers. It was obvious to me that Purdue and Michigan State were beaten by superior defensive teams who also had terrific offensive players. Our one weak link in our defensive wall is JAS, and Carter will soon take many of his minutes away. Because we will consistently play such good defense we'll be a tough game for anybody in the Big Ten. This bodes well for us.

Its also obvious to me that the reason Bostick doesn't play much is his defense, not his offense. If he is able to become better in this area he could really help.

We're on the right track.

Top Bottom