Special Q&A: Former Gopher Eric Harris Interviews Minnesota Assistant Kimani Young

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Special Q&A: Former Gopher Eric Harris Interviews Minnesota Assistant Kimani Young

By Former Gopher Guard Eric Harris

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/380939?referrer_id=388419

GopherHole Editor’s Note: Earlier this week we ran a long Q&A with former Gopher and critical member of the Final Four team, Eric Harris. Harris who has his own skills academy in New York City also produces content on his own blog: TrainWithEricHarris.com. After the Gophers recent NIT title, Harris conducted a fun interview with his friend and current Gopher assistant Kimani Young. With Eric’s permission, we are reposting this special Q&A which originally ran on Eric’s site.

As the buzzer sounds and the Gophers wrap up their N.I.T. (National Invitation Tournament) title against Coach Larry Brown and the SMU Mustangs-it feels great to be a University of Minnesota alum. Golden Gopher basketball has been infused with a shot of the "Big Apple" again and the future of the program is very bright. This time around, NYC is represented by Kimani Young. Coach Young brings his basketball acumen and east coast ties to the Barn. Kimani has been an integral part of this NIT run, and he along with the rest of the coaching staff have one goal in mind-get the Gophers to that elite level of college basketball.

Kimani and I grew up battling against each other when NYC basketball was considered the best in the country. It's funny how the circle of life can take you on a journey and connect you with people in ways you can never imagine. As good as Kimani is as a coach-he's 10 times better as a father, caregiver and role model to his 2 boys-Kamaal (11), Khaliq (10), & daughter Salimah (9).

Eric Harris: When you first heard that you were going to Minneapolis, what was your initial thought?

Kimani Young: I was excited because of the rich tradition at Minnesota. Being a student of the game I knew about all the success in the 90's and early 2000's. Just knowing that we were going to compete in the "BIG 10"-such a high level of basketball. I was excited about it!

Eric Harris: Gopher fans really support their sports programs. How have the fans embraced you guys?

Kimani Young: The support has been fanatical. Coach Pitino talks about it all the time. He's been at Kentucky, Louisville and Florida. He says from a fan support standpoint, he puts the U of M right up there with the best in the country.

Eric Harris: The “Barn” is one of the best places to play in the country hands down. When did you realize that it gets really loud in there?

Kimani Young: The Ohio St. game was off the hook. You couldn't hear yourself think-that's how loud it was.

Eric Harris: Talk about the Big Ten Conference. What has been the toughest place to play on the road so far?

Kimani Young: To be honest with you, all venues on the road are tough places to play. Everywhere you play in this league-you play in front of a packed house. People don't realize this, but over the last 38 years the Big 10 has led the country in attendance. So that tells you right there what this conference is about in terms of fan support. These universities are all high academic institutions in college towns. These people live and die with their athletic programs.

Eric Harris: How did your two boys & daughter react to the change of climate?

Kimani Young: They didn't react too well. I didn't expect them to have any idea of what the climate would be like in Minnesota. I guess Minnesota just sounds cold-lol. They were in Miami for the last year. Losing the friends and relationships they had there-they weren't very happy about that. They’ve adjusted now. They love coming to the games and being in an exciting environment. Being a part of something they can touch. The Twin Cities is one of the nicest places to be in the summer! The lakes and the outdoors are a beautiful experience.

Eric Harris: Can you describe Coach Pitino's philosophy & style of play?

Kimani Young: Coach has combined what he has learned from two hall of fame coaches. We like to say that we're Louisville on defense and Florida on offense. We use a lot of pick and rolls. We want to play fast and get the ball up & down the court. Shoot threes & be confident. We call it our "pick and roll motion". We try to get the ball moving from side to side. Very free flowing offense. Defensively we want to speed you up & get you making decisions on the fly. We want the game to be up-tempo. It hasn't been easy to do yet-especially in the Big 10, where a lot of programs want to slow the tempo down. We feel like once we get the personnel to play that way, we'll be fine. Coach is going to coach you hard and push you out of your comfort zone. He's going to push everyone in the program to be great. That starts with the players and trickles down to the coaches and managers.

Eric Harris: As a University of Minnesota alum, I appreciated the fact that you guys competed and worked hard every game this year. You can live with the results when you work hard.

Kimani Young: Working hard is a part of our blueprint. Playing hard & coming to work every day with your hard hat and lunch pale-ready to get better. That's the foundation of our program. That permeates to our fans and we created a nice home court advantage at the Barn.

Eric Harris: What were the team goals coming into this season?

Kimani Young: We wanted to be able to expose our program to the rest of the country. We'll be able to do that with the success we've had this year. The ability to play in the Big 10 and play on the Big 10 network is huge! It's going to take some time for us to continue to build our brand where kids feel comfortable coming to Minnesota.

Eric Harris: Most people in Minnesota might not know that you were nice as a ball player. Talk about Kimani the player.

Kimani Young: I worked hard. I had a jump shot. I grew up under Kenny Anderson and Kenny Smith. I tried to take a little bit of everything from those guys. I was blessed to work with trainer Vincent Smith (Kenny's brother) since I was 12 years old. Coaching is my way of giving back to all the people that helped me along the way.

Eric Harris: Whenever I have those basketball discussions with my peers, I always say that Kenny Anderson was the best HS player ever. Some people try to dispute that with Randy Livingston (LSU) or Jason Kidd. What made Kenny Anderson so special?

Kimani Young: Kenny was just born to do this. I saw him win a City championship & State championship as a freshman. Score 60 on a box & 1. The things he was able to do with a basketball was unreal. He was a magician. He was a scientist out there. You combine that skill with his work-ethic & that was the result. He was always in the gym getting shots up & working on his game. He knew that was his only way of getting him and his moms out of the situation we were all in at that time. Kenny wasn't a very confident player off the court. He would always worry about the guys he was matched up against. Whether it was on the road or at an All-American camp. But I think that fear is what motivated him to always work. Then when he put those sneakers on-it was just magic!

Eric Harris: When did you realize that Vincent Smith was a master at developing talent?

Kimani Young: When I met him he had the #1 player in the country-Kenny Anderson. If he said you could be a fraction as good as Kenny was, you would be a fool not to work with him. Then obviously what he did with his brother. Kenny Smith was 1st team All-American at UNC, first round NBA draft pick, Rookie of the Year. That exposure to players like that just made me want to gravitate to Vince even more.

Eric Harris: What has changed from when Vince was giving back to the game and the basketball world in 2014?

Kimani Young: When we came up, it was so many coaches that did it for the love of the game. They did it for the gratification of developing kids. Once basketball became such a business, it became harder for guys to pour in blood, sweat and tears. No one is willing to work a kid out every day at the local gym and watch a HS coach capitalize off of the kid. That's what pushed guys away from the era we grew up in. I watched Vincent Smith work guys out from 10 years old to 20 years old in Lost Battalion Hall. I worked with Vince & played for my local HS. He did that with all the guys from my neighborhood. ALL FOR THE LOVE! You just don't see many of those situations anymore.

Eric Harris: What has changed in regards to NYC talent today and when we grew up?

Kimani Young: When we grew up there were 20 to 30 high major D1 players every year. I can't point a finger at anybody, but there just aren't as many high-major players that are ready to come in and compete at the level we're at now. We may be able to get back to that. That's just not the case right now.

Eric Harris: What is the goal of the Gopher program in the next 2-3 years?

Kimani Young: We want to be in the Final Four. We're going to always overachieve. We want to play the best and compete against the best. Once we get the players that can play our style of play, we feel we'll be right there with the top programs. We play one of the toughest schedules in the country. That's what it's about and that's how you see where you're at amongst the competition.

Eric Harris: Thanks for the time bro & much success. Continue to rep that Maroon & Gold!

Kimani Young: You got it E-thanks bro!

Great interview, thanks for sharing.

Sounds from the interview that Coach Pitino and his Staff have fallen in love with the Gophers and THE BARN. And let's not forget THE FANS!!!

GO GOPHERS!!!

This is awesome!! Pretty cool. Thanks GH, EH and KY!

Eric Harris seems like a class act. He was great fun to watch as a player and I'm glad he's finding success later in life. His development from freshman to senior year was one of the most fun things to watch.

Thanks to Eric Harris for letting GopherHole post this and to GopherHole for posting it. Hopefully some of Kimani's connections to the NY area pay dividends for the program in the near future.

Eric Harris seems like a class act. He was great fun to watch as a player and I'm glad he's finding success later in life. His development from freshman to senior year was one of the most fun things to watch.

Yes - a couple of class acts. Coach Young is a great interview, so it doesn't surprise me that he has a rep as a great recruiter. Time now to reap some hard benefits of that.

Maybe Kimani will be able to get some guys from Eric's skills academy over the next few years.

Top Bottom