ESPN revised top 25, post draft deadline

Again how does Iowa crumble down the stretch, lose its best player and get ranked? I'd say right now teams like Nebraska, Ohio State and even the gophers are better than them. I know Sparty and Michigan lose alot, but Espn will give them the benefit of the doubt like they did with IU last year

Again how does Iowa crumble down the stretch, lose its best player and get ranked? I'd say right now teams like Nebraska, Ohio State and even the gophers are better than them. I know Sparty and Michigan lose alot, but Espn will give them the benefit of the doubt like they did with IU last year

Yes, how does Nebraska finish fourth, retain Petteway and still get picked to finish WORSE next year? Makes me want to root for them all the more.

Good point, Bad. I will root for NE except when they play the Gophers.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Minnesota, Illinois, Ohio State, and Nebraska could all finish ahead of Iowa next season. Indiana also adds a 5 star shooting guard in James Blackmon for next year, although having two 5 stars in their starting lineup this year wasn't enough to make the NIT, so I guess I wouldn't pick them ahead of Iowa.

Yes, how does Nebraska finish fourth, retain Petteway and still get picked to finish WORSE next year? Makes me want to root for them all the more.

It makes sense if you think of sports journalists as types inclined to follow "The Emperor's New Clothes" rule. If a number of people have those teams in the top 25, then you're not risking much by including them in yours. Think of these people like those who got through college by copying each other's work.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Minnesota, Illinois, Ohio State, and Nebraska could all finish ahead of Iowa next season. Indiana also adds a 5 star shooting guard in James Blackmon for next year, although having two 5 stars in their starting lineup this year wasn't enough to make the NIT, so I guess I wouldn't pick them ahead of Iowa.

Agreed. Yogi dominated the ball too much last year for his team to be very successful. If he doesn't learn from that, there could be more of the same this year. Given the transfers and some other turmoil, I would be surprised IU was a lot better next year even with some prized recruits.

Rankings before games are played are dumb and useless. They create biases that cause many problems, especially in college football.

A Big Ten preview (of sorts)

What self-respecting blogger forgets that Maryland and Rutgers will be part of the Big Ten in 2014-15? Lost some credibility right there.

That said, there's some decent analysis here, though I'll eat my shorts if Nebraska finishes in the top 2 next season. Huskers will be solid, but just can't see that happening.

http://www.maizenbrew.com/2014/4/28/5661234/big-ten-basketball-2014-15

SMU at #12? Seems a little high. Sure they didn't lose a lot and added a great point guard, but Minnesota only lost one player and has added much more depth as well.

Big ten appears down on paper but we will see.

Teams that could finish higher than Iowa: Mn, Maryland, Illinois, Nebraska, and Indiana. Not saying they all will but Iowa cannot stop anyone and they will really miss the late game scoring of Marble. White is a heck of a player and they have a quality frontcourt, but their guards do not match up well with the above teams.

Top Bottom