Where Are They Now Q&A: Eric Harris Talks Clemson Game, Final 4, Life After Minnesota

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Where Are They Now Q&A: Eric Harris Talks Clemson Game, Final 4, Life After Minnesota

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/380150?referrer_id=388419

For many Gopher fans, the Big Ten title and Final Four run in 1997 is one of the best sports memories of their lives. One of the cornerstones of that run was Eric Harris, who’s improvement from his sophomore to junior years was a critical piece of that season. Harris and Bobby Jackson teamed up to form one of the best backcourts in the nation, and one of the best in Gopher history.

Harris left a great legacy at the U – one of a very hard worker both on and off the court, a defensive stopper and a guard who improved dramatically on the offensive end throughout his career. He and Sam Jacobson left Minnesota with the most wins in program history.

After his four years at Minnesota, Harris spent the next five years playing professionally both overseas and in the United States. Following his playing days, Harris went back to his New York roots where he now has his own skills academy: TrainWithEricHarris.com. In his teachings, Harris works with individuals and groups in all facets of the game, and really stresses the defensive side which is often overlooked, and is one of the main reasons why Harris was such a successful basketball player.

GopherHole had the great pleasure to talk with Harris – reminiscing about the Final Four season, the Clemson game, his legacy at the U, life after Minnesota and his relationship with Gophers assistant Kimani Young.

GopherHole: The U hasn’t attracted many players from NY over the years. What attracted you to Minnesota and what other schools were you considering?

Eric Harris: Milton Barnes recruited me. I wasn’t highly rated. He saw me out at the ABCD Camp and I went out a for a visit. I fell in love with situation there.

GopherHole: There was a story during your senior year of high school that quoted Stephon Marbury saying that he never played a tougher defender than you – what do you remember about your early matchups with him?

Eric Harris: Obviously he was a great talent, NBA All Star, Olympian. I just tried to make him work. Once he got the ball, I tried to deny him and play physical against him and he obviously respected the way I competed.

GopherHole: You came to Minnesota with a reputation as a fantastic defender – is defense a mind-set and why don’t more kids out of HS work on defense like you did?

Eric Harris: Defense is definitely a mind-set. Something you have to want to do. You have to be in shape, you have to have great footwork. You have to be mentally tough and disciplined. It’s unfortunate that that side of the ball doesn’t get more respect. You have to respect that side of the ball as a player.

GopherHole: You made significant improvements in your game from your sophomore to your junior seasons at the U, in particular in your shooting. What changes did you make to your offseason program that resulted in such dramatic improvement?

Eric Harris: Townsend Orr and Voshon Leonoard used to get on me about not being able to shoot. A lot of NY players take the ball to the hole and don’t shoot well. Going into my junior people were questioning me and I didn’t want to be the reason we weren’t go far that season so I committed to really working hard on it.

GopherHole: Heading into the 1996-97 season, did the team believe it could contend for a Big Ten title?

Eric Harris: We believed we had the pieces on the roster. The starting five was good, but most importantly we had guys coming off the bench. Quincy, Charles Thomas, Miles Tarver, Trevor Winter, we had guys that coming off the bench could contribute. We put the work in and Coach Haskins did a good job managing the personalities.

GopherHole: If my memory serves me right, you hit a game winning shot against Creighton in the San Juan Shootout – is that correct?

Eric Harris: That was a pretty good tournament, Creighton like you said, Clemson. It was a big confidence booster for us. Individually it felt good for me as that success reaffirmed I was on the right track.

GopherHole: At what point during the season did you guys realize you were the best team in the Big Ten and a legit national title contender?

Eric Harris: Probably the Indiana win being a big win at Bloomington. Historically we struggled to win there and to be down and fight back. That was huge. We felt we could win anywhere as long as we could play the brand of basketball we could play. We always competed to the last second of every game.

GopherHole: Many Gopher fans consider the Clemson Sweet 16 game as the best Gopher game ever played. Unfortunately you hurt your shoulder in that game – what do you remember about that injury, and what went through your mind as the game went into 2 OTs?

Eric Harris: Funny you bring that up as I was in St. Louis working a Nike event and some of the guys that played for Clemson were there coaching as well. We were talking about playing Clemson in San Juan and then the Sweet 16 game and how physical game was. They said we were the most physical team they played against. It was a battle every time. We knew after that that whoever won would go to the Final Four.

GopherHole: What are your memories of the Welcome Home Celebration at The Barn after the UCLA game?

Eric Harris: Ahh, man the Barn was crazy that night. Gopher fans are some of the best fans in the country, the Barn was packed. Those are memories I’ll never forget for the rest of my life.

GopherHole: Many biased Gopher fans believe we would have beat Kentucky if you were at full strength – what do you think?

Eric Harris: (Laughs). I liked our chances if I was healthy, especially considering they pressed all game. We turned the ball over like 20 something times. That Gopher team, if I’m healthy who knows.

GopherHole: Your senior year also had a fairy tale ending for you as you got to go back “home” and finish your career winning the NIT in Madison Square Garden – was that special way to end your career?

Eric Harris: It was special. I would have preferred to go back to the Tournament and go back to the Final Four, but it was nice to play in front of family and friends. It was great

GopherHole: When the news of the academic scandal hit, how did that impact you and the other guys of the Final Four team?

Eric Harris: It was unfortunate, but you can’t reverse time. Time heals all wounds and we all moved on.

GopherHole: Who do you still keep in touch with from your Gopher days – coaches and players?

Eric Harris: I keep in touch with Bobby, Quincy, John Thomas, Townsend Orr, the twins Jason and Jermaine Stanford, Coach Milton Barnes, I’ve talked to Coach Haskins a few times, Coaching Cunningham, Couch Larry Davis. I talk to Courtney.

GopherHole: After your Gopher career – did you play pro ball?

Eric Harris: I played for about five years overseas and in the minor leagues of the CBA, NBDL. Basketball was great to me, I had a great ride. I traveled, met tons of people

GopherHole: What else have you focused on during your post-U career?

Eric Harris: What I’m doing now is I have my own Skill Development Business. I work with some of the top players in NYC and New Jersey. We work on all facets of their game both in group and individual settings. It’s a lot of fun, I really enjoy working with kids who want to work hard.

GopherHole: Have you considered ever coaching high school or getting into the college coaching circles?

Eric Harris: People ask me that all the time. I tried coaching on the AAU circuit, with the Malik Sealy All Stars. I don’t have that patience. I enjoy the development side more. It’s still coaching, my hat goes out to all the coaches though, the AAU circuit is tough.

GopherHole: The Gophers have added some New York City blood in the program with the hire of assistant Kimani Young. Do you know Coach Young and if so, what can Gopher fans expect from him?

Eric Harris: Kimani is a great guy. We go way back. We used to battle. He’s a great guy. He’s a fabulous addition to the Gopher program and the staff. I know he’ll do everything in his power. He’ll do a great job and fans will love him.

GopherHole: Gopher fans have fond memories of your defense, growth as a player and leadership. What do you remember best about your time at the U?

Eric Harris: The University of Minnesota is a great institution. Academically and athletically. I tell people all the time I wouldn’t trade my four years for anything. I had a great time. The University gave me so much and I hope I paid it back with hard work both on the off the court. I want to be remembered as a hard worker, someone that gave it all every time they stepped on the court. I think Sam and I are up there for all time wins in program history and that means a lot to us. We want to be remembered as winners and hard workers.

eric harris was, and still is one of my favorite gophers ever. he loved playing D, he and Bobby were an incredible back court. he also really improved as his career progressed.

They turned the ball over 28 times that game. It's mind boggling to think they were still in it to the end.

There is no doubt in my mind the Gophers would've won the game and went on to win the National Title if Harris hadn't been injured. Of all the teams you don't want to be playing without your starting PG, Kentucky was at the top of the list.

They turned the ball over 28 times that game. It's mind boggling to think they were still in it to the end.

There is no doubt in my mind the Gophers would've won the game and went on to win the National Title if Harris hadn't been injured. Of all the teams you don't want to be playing without your starting PG, Kentucky was at the top of the list.
Can't remember did they move Bobby to the point and start Quincy at the two for that game?

Can't remember did they move Bobby to the point and start Quincy at the two for that game?

Harris started & played 29 minutes vs. Kentucky but was far from 100%. Not the prettiest of games; 42 turnovers, 47 fouls, and 53 FTAs combined.

Speaking of the Final Four team, I saw Big John Thomas at Freeziac in Eden Prairie last night. Still looks in pretty good shape.

Harris started & played 29 minutes vs. Kentucky but was far from 100%. Not the prettiest of games; 42 turnovers, 47 fouls, and 53 FTAs combined. Speaking of the Final Four team, I saw Big John Thomas at Freeziac in Eden Prairie last night. Still looks in pretty good shape.

If I remember. It was like watching a one armed man play hoops. Gutsy but didn't help matters.

If I remember. It was like watching a one armed man play hoops. Gutsy but didn't help matters.

That's why I don't like the Clemson game and won't watch a replay of it. The Gophers won the battle but lost the war when they lost Harris.

That's why I don't like the Clemson game and won't watch a replay of it. The Gophers won the battle but lost the war when they lost Harris.

It was God's providential way of protecting us from even greater humiliation of having a national championship vacated. Don't think they would not have done it. We are not Kentucky or other blue blood who get punished but lose nothing.

It was God's providential way of protecting us from even greater humiliation of having a national championship vacated. Don't think they would not have done it. We are not Kentucky or other blue blood who get punished but lose nothing.

Still would have rather won the National Championship

You know, you're right.

Still would have rather won the National Championship

+1 I'd take the championship in a heartbeat, footnote or not.

We were not unique w/r/t injury though ... I could tick off probably a half dozen or more teams just from memory whose NCAA championship chances were nixed by an injury in, or in some cases just prior to, the tournament. In the Big Ten alone I'd say Coverdale at Indiana, Luther Head at Illinois, and possibly Appling at MSU this year all may have been leading NCAA champion teams had they not been hampered by injury.

GopherHole Editor’s Note: Earlier this week we ran a long Q&A with former Gopher and critical member of the Final Four team, Eric Harris. Harris who has his own skills academy in New York City also produces content on his own blog: TrainWithEricHarris.com. After the Gophers recent NIT title, Harris conducted a fun interview with his friend and current Gopher assistant Kimani Young. With Eric’s permission, we are reposting this special Q&A which originally ran on Eric’s site.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/380939?referrer_id=388419

Top Bottom