I'm more convinced

gold04

Reaction score
that the Gopher baseball team needs to make a run this year to make some noise in the NCAA tournament. I feel our chances are slim in keeping guys like Macmullem, Kvursiky, and Decker for 2010. I know I butchered their names but I'm to lazy to look them up. Plus I'm not so sure a guy like Rosin may not get a tempting offer to leave early.

If we get everyone back, we would be one of the top teams in the nation in 2010 (we could even be a top 10 team). Yes we lose two starters but Rosin, Lubinsky, and the new Oakes will be just as good as our starters this year. Plus our mid week starters will be a lot better in 10. With all the bullpen guys back our bullpen will be untouchable.

I think we'll lose 3 maybe 4 guys who will leave early so this needs to be the year! Having everyone back next year is a pipe dream.

I am a diehard Gopher fan, and while I would love to see the Gophers make a run, it would be a major cinderella story this year or next year. The Gophers are a very talented team, but when you look at the rosters of many of the Southern teams, there is a huge gap in how talented they are. The Gophers play the game the right way, they play good defense, throw strikes and put the ball in play, and in short series, or in a game, they can play with the Big Boys down south. But to be a top 10 team, we would have to go down and play a tough schedule early and win a lot of games (which is hard to do early in the year, beating southern teams is tough because we are on the road, haven't played as many games, and haven't played outside since Oct.) and then have a great conference record again. When I played for the the team a couple years back we would travel and play these teams and the difference in talent was unreal. Thats not to say we didn't have some success, but to go win series on the road early is very tough.

Also, from what I gather Mccallum is going to be gone. He is going to be picked high enough where he cannot pass up that money, because even if he comes back and has an even better year, he will lose any bargainin power, and those drafts picks need to take the money, because once you start playing minor league ball, you aren't getting paid anything. Also Decker will be gone for sure. Kvasnicka and Rosin will be around next year, they are only sophomores and cannot be drafted. We will be a solid team next year, but we will need to find some pitching help in the rotation. I know they have some guys, such as Klabunde, that they really like, but he hasn't shown much so far in his career. Also, TJ Oakes is a great talent, and will be huge for them, and from meeting him, he doesn't seem like the kind of kid who is going to get rattled, but depending on a freshman is never a sure bet.

With that said, I am completely shocked by the turnaround this year, and so maybe it wouldn't surprise me if they made a little run this year. Whatever regional we end up in is going to be a challenge, but this team could pull it off. As I mentioned, these guys play the game the right way and anything can happen in a baseball game, case in point us losing to St. Thomas, so lets cross our fingers. This teams plays with a lot of confidence and all their players seem to be gamers, so I am excited for what this post-season will bring.

Well said

I am a diehard Gopher fan, and while I would love to see the Gophers make a run, it would be a major cinderella story this year or next year. The Gophers are a very talented team, but when you look at the rosters of many of the Southern teams, there is a huge gap in how talented they are. The Gophers play the game the right way, they play good defense, throw strikes and put the ball in play, and in short series, or in a game, they can play with the Big Boys down south. But to be a top 10 team, we would have to go down and play a tough schedule early and win a lot of games (which is hard to do early in the year, beating southern teams is tough because we are on the road, haven't played as many games, and haven't played outside since Oct.) and then have a great conference record again. When I played for the the team a couple years back we would travel and play these teams and the difference in talent was unreal. Thats not to say we didn't have some success, but to go win series on the road early is very tough.

Also, from what I gather Mccallum is going to be gone. He is going to be picked high enough where he cannot pass up that money, because even if he comes back and has an even better year, he will lose any bargainin power, and those drafts picks need to take the money, because once you start playing minor league ball, you aren't getting paid anything. Also Decker will be gone for sure. Kvasnicka and Rosin will be around next year, they are only sophomores and cannot be drafted. We will be a solid team next year, but we will need to find some pitching help in the rotation. I know they have some guys, such as Klabunde, that they really like, but he hasn't shown much so far in his career. Also, TJ Oakes is a great talent, and will be huge for them, and from meeting him, he doesn't seem like the kind of kid who is going to get rattled, but depending on a freshman is never a sure bet.

With that said, I am completely shocked by the turnaround this year, and so maybe it wouldn't surprise me if they made a little run this year. Whatever regional we end up in is going to be a challenge, but this team could pull it off. As I mentioned, these guys play the game the right way and anything can happen in a baseball game, case in point us losing to St. Thomas, so lets cross our fingers. This teams plays with a lot of confidence and all their players seem to be gamers, so I am excited for what this post-season will bring.

Boogeyman, your first paragraph is spot on. The Gophers have some very, very good players, but those southern teams. wow. I have gotten to see enough of them play in Lincoln over the last 8 years or so to understand what you are saying. I certainly don't claim to have your knowledge, as you stated that you were a former player, but I do agree with your first paragraph 100%. When the Huskers had Joba Chamberlain and Alex Gordon with some other great players, they managed to win only 1 CWS game. Going to CWS games every year is a great experience to see the talent on the field.

Doesn't surprise me to hear about McCallum, he is having a great season and as you say will have some bargaining power. I hope the Gophers end up somewhere close to Lincoln, would love to watch them in a regional.

huh. Decker will be a senior this fall. and most likely be drafted by a NFL team next year. so he won't be back with the Gophers next year.

they will lose decker, buske, handran, mccallum, and nohelty almost for sure.....but it sounds like the other draft elgible guys might stick around

next years squad should be solid, but its tough to ask a freshman to step into the rotation so i'll say a slight step back next year, but still a very good team

If Mccallan and Decker are the only ones leaving early, then I think there is a chance we could be better. Our bullpen would be one of the best in the nation. Oakes, Lubinsky, and Rosin probably would even be a better starting pitching tandem then what we have now. I think Oakes is the real deal. Heck, he's been playing on some US national basaball team. He might remind us of another homegrown boy in Glenn Perkins.

Offensively I think we would do about the same. We'll see Knudson, Kvosiky?, and O'shean put up Big power numbers.

I know how good those teams are down South but your not playing them in a seven game series. At the most your playing them in a 3 game series and even Michigan beat the number 1 team in the land a few years ago. I still think we'd be a top 20 team.

Our bullpen will not be one of the best in the nation. Most bullpen guys down south would be starting pitchers for the Gophers. Like I said, I played for the Gophers and in fact was a pitcher, so I am basically making myself look worse for saying this,but look at other teams pitching staff in the SEC, ACC, Big 12 or some of the conferences out West. There starters are consistantly sitting 90+ mphs, and their is not much of a drop off in talent in the bullpen, heck sometimes they might even be more talented, but they are young. Now look at the Gophers pitchers, we have what, maybe 2 pithers that sit in the 90's (Matyas and Rosin) and I am not convinced that Rosin is 90+ (probably 88-90, touching 92). I know fastball velocity is not everything when it comes to pitching, Buske has had a hell of a year, mixing pitches, throwing strikes, locating both in and out of the strike zone, but he overall the talent level is so much higher in other parts of the country.

Boogeyman,

I know you know more than me about baseball and teams from the South are better and more talented. Sometimes there comes a time in a year when a team from the North has the peices all fall into place. They are able for a season or maybe two to get enough good players that they can compete with teams from the south. IF Mccallam and Decker stayed next year it might be one of those seasons.

Kind of like what happened to Eastern Michigan in the 1970's when they had a year where they finished 2nd place in college baseball. A magical season happened because for a year they had enough talent to compete with the Big boys. I know times have changed but season like that still can happen.

I was on the TCU campus not to long ago. At one time they crept into the top 10 this season. If they host a region many of their fans say if a northern team comes to their region they do not want MN. They said MN is as good as any team they have played.

Maybe I'm too much of an optimist, but if everyone comes back and some more guys step up next year like they did this year, it might be one of those magical seasons we have not seen for a long time.

Thanks for your insights. I think after the Michigan series is when I'll get a better feel on how we'll do this year.

P.S. I know Mccallam and Decker are gone after this year and maybe a few others, so that magical season will not happen but you can always dream.

Top Bottom