Djuan Piper Committed to Minnesota?

Wow, not sure what this is all about

Looks like some old news that got posted by a group with limited or old information

Looks like they've been doing "player announcements" for this all-star game, essentially announcing the teams one player at a time. In these announcements, they include the school the player has committed to. I think it was just a mistake, they thought he was going to Minnesota, but he isn't.

Looks like they've been doing "player announcements" for this all-star game, essentially announcing the teams one player at a time. In these announcements, they include the school the player has committed to. I think it was just a mistake, they thought he was going to Minnesota, but he isn't.

Welcome aboard, Djuan!

How many more before we get to 13 for the year?

How many more before we get to 13 for the year?

I believe that we were there prior to this announcement. Either -

1) An existing player is leaving; OR

2) A previously committed player has backed out; OR

3) This is some sort of delayed admission commitment where Piper will first go to a junior college for a year; OR

4) This announcement is just completely wrong.

I believe that we were there prior to this announcement. Either -

1) An existing player is leaving; OR

2) A previously committed player has backed out; OR

3) This is some sort of delayed admission commitment where Piper will first go to a junior college for a year; OR

4) This announcement is just completely wrong.

Unfortunately I'm leaning toward number 4.

According to Wolfson, the Piper report is false.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/InfraRen">@InfraRen</a> Re: Piper - In fact just heard back from a 'U' source. Checked for you. Report is FALSE. They wanted him, but he can't get in.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/460498090290470913">April 27, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If doogie says no way, doogie says no way.

Say what you want about Doogie. At least he gives us actual information unlike a certain Strib writer.

I personally think he does a good job.

Say what you want about Doogie. At least he gives us actual information unlike a certain Strib writer.

I personally think he does a good job.

I'll take Doogie over that Strib writer any day. It's all about effort, Doogie may not always have the best sources, but you can tell he's trying... unlike that other writer.

How about not taking either one? I'll go with Ryan and Gopherlady.

Marcus is pretty good, but in part because the alternatives are so bad. I should have included him.

FWIW Djuan Piper hasn't sent out a tweet since the day we found out his acedemics weren't good enough, and before he was pretty active on twitter. Maybe he is putting aside all distractions and getting his grades up. Either that or he forgot his password

FWIW Djuan Piper hasn't sent out a tweet since the day we found out his acedemics weren't good enough, and before he was pretty active on twitter. Maybe he is putting aside all distractions and getting his grades up. Either that or he forgot his password

Or his parents locked him in a closet.

I don't want to come across as being holier than thou (even know I will be), but you almost have to try harder to fail classes and not qualify rather than do the bare minimum to qualify.

I don't want to come across as being holier than thou (even know I will be), but you almost have to try harder to fail classes and not qualify rather than do the bare minimum to qualify.

The truth right there.

What kind of academics do scholarship athletes need to qualify? I knowit's different, but for 'normal' admittance 80-90% of high school students don't qualify for the U.

What kind of academics do scholarship athletes need to qualify? I knowit's different, but for 'normal' admittance 80-90% of high school students don't qualify for the U.

Pretty sure you need to know both upper and lower case letters. I could be wrong though.

The actual acceptance rate for normal undergraduate students is about 50%. I don't know what the admission standards are for athletes but the biggest difference would be that athletes aren't competing against other qualified students for a spot. They already have a spot if they qualify. They are only competing with themselves to obtain certain minimum qualifications.

I didn't go to college in Minnesota, but someone I know who attended high school with a former basketball player from the U said that the player mentioned that he needed to score an 18 on the ACT to qualify. Obviously the average ACT of admitted regular students is considerably higher. For admitted applicants in 2013, two of the seven colleges admitted virtually no one with an ACT below 24. Two others admitted less than 10% with ACT scores below 24. There appears to be considerably more variation in the remaining three.

Top Bottom