Who plays, sits and red-shirts next year?

Jon

Reaction score
I wonder who plays, sits and red-shirts next year<> no answers but I crunched some numbers...

Stats for fun; this chunk tells us we lost about 36 percent of our points scored and 36 percent of our playing time
Code:
    Name  	Min	Pts	Min gone	Pts gone
Hollins, Andre  	1099	489	 	 
Hollins, Austin	1257	470	1257	470
Mathieu, DeAndre 	1146	456	 	 
Walker, Maurice 	592	250	 	 
Smith, Malik 	684	261	684	261
King, Joey 	828	264	 	 
Osenieks, Oto	569	164	569	164
Eliason, Elliott 	810	185	 	 
Ahanmisi, Maverick 269	84	269	84
Ellenson, Wally 	62	16	62	16
Buggs, Charles 	107	27	 	 
McNeil, Daquein 	293	49	 	 

38 games 	7716	2715	2841	995

36.82%	             36.65%
 	 	 	% of min gone	% of pts gone

The next chunk tells us Tubby recruits played 61% of the minutes and scored 62% of the points this year...
Code:
 	 	 	             Min	Min	Pts	Pts
    Name  	Min	Pts	Tubby	Pitino 	Tubby	Pitino
Hollins, Andre  	1099	489	1099                   489
Hollins, Austin	1257	470	1257	 	470	 
Mathieu, DeAndre 	1146	456	             1146	 	456
Walker, Maurice 	592	250	592	 	250	 
Smith, Malik 	684	261	             684	 	261
King, Joey 	828	264	 	828	 	264
Osenieks, Oto	569	164	569      	             164	 
Eliason, Elliott 	810	185	810	 	185	 
Ahanmisi, Maverick 269	84	269	 	84	 
Ellenson, Wally 	62	16	62	 	16	 
Buggs, Charles 	107	27	107	 	27	 
McNeil, Daquein 	293	49	             293	 	49

38 games 	7716	2715	4765	2951	1685	1030
 	 	 	Tub Min	Pit Min	Tub Pts	Pit Pts
 	 	 	61.75%	38.25%	62.06%	37.94%

link to gopher stats
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/minn/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2013-14/stats/season_stats.pdf

Good stuff there, thanks.

Matheui 30
Hollins 30
Walker 25
Morris 25
Martin 20
King 20
Elliason 15
McNeil 15
Mason 12
Buggs 8

Bakary and Diediou (sp) red shirt unless there are injuries?

Wild card- Buggs

Matheui 30
Hollins 30
Walker 25
Morris 25
Martin 20
King 20
Elliason 15
McNeil 15
Mason 12
Buggs 8

Wild card- Buggs

Seems unlikely to me that they would only have ten scholarship players next year with two red shirts and Lofton ineligible.

I will be most interested to see what we do with Konate and Diedhiou. You can make strong arguments for/against redshirts for either. I kind of have a feeling Pitino may plan on redshirting both unless an injury or two requires us to use one. If Mo and EE are healthy all season, there isn't a huge need at center. Both Diedhiou and Konate are 20 though so they may not want to hang around until they are 24 or 25. From what I've read it sounds like Konate is more in need of gaining strength (especially lower body), but he also sounds like the more polished player (rim defender and good shooter).

ETA: My post above is not insinuating Diedhiou is a center, I think he'll have the ability to play both the 4 and the 5.

] I will be most interested to see what we do with Konate and Diedhiou. You can make strong arguments for/against redshirts for either. I kind of have a feeling Pitino may plan on redshirting both unless an injury or two requires us to use one. If Mo and EE are healthy all season, there isn't a huge need at center. Both Diedhiou and Konate are 20 though so they may not want to hang around until they are 24 or 25. From what I've read it sounds like Konate is more in need of gaining strength (especially lower body), but he also sounds like the more polished player (rim defender and good shooter).

ETA: My post above is not insinuating Diedhiou is a center, I think he'll have the ability to play both the 4 and the 5.

Bolded first sentence is what I call brilliant. Predictions are worth what we pay for them, and I totally agree, Madtown.

Being a Senior Citizen, I have a tendency to look forward to the next day, without anyone, my Doctors included, trying to tell me with certainty what is coming.

But reading the forums on GopherHole is still better than reading the Fargo Forum.

Matheui 30
Hollins 30
Walker 25
Morris 25
Martin 20
King 20
Elliason 15
McNeil 15
Mason 12
Buggs 8

Wild card- Buggs
I bet for the sake of class balance one of Diediou or Konate plays next year, even if it's spot duty

Matheui 30
Hollins 30
Walker 25
Morris 25
Martin 20
King 20
Elliason 15
McNeil 15
Mason 12
Buggs 8

Wild card- Buggs

I don't see playing only 10 guys to start as there will almost certainly be injuries, etc. Also, I think a 3rd C is necessary even if they only get 5 min/game. EE and Mo both tend to get in foul trouble and we don't want to go into 2015/16 with zero C's with any experience.

Makes sense to play one and RS the other. You balance the class and then you go into the next year with at least one C with some experience. Plus it is very likely that either Mo or EE will have to deal with an injury at some point next year or a game where they're in bad foul trouble and its great if you still have 2 bigs available. Also in just a numbers game, you want more bodies available. Tough to have 3 scholarship players sitting on the bench all year

I don't see playing only 10 guys to start as there will almost certainly be injuries, etc. Also, I think a 3rd C is necessary even if they only get 5 min/game. EE and Mo both tend to get in foul trouble and we don't want to go into 2015/16 with zero C's with any experience.

There didn't seem to be much time available for a third center this year except in a game or two where both centers were in some foul trouble. I'm not too concerned about the experience issue two years from now as they are both older and will be practicing with and against two fifth year seniors of better than average quality next year.

I think at least one of those two new big men probably needs to play next year. If not, the team would likely have the same issues at power forward that it had last year unless Josh Martin turns out to be great. If either one of them play, that should be sufficient front court depth.

Of course, there might be qualification issues down the road and neither of them may get to play next year. According to his coach, Konate, a native French speaker, still struggles with English. He would appear to be the less necessary of the two for next year.

Bolded first sentence is what I call brilliant. Predictions are worth what we pay for them, and I totally agree, Madtown.

Being a Senior Citizen, I have a tendency to look forward to the next day, without anyone, my Doctors included, trying to tell me with certainty what is coming.

But reading the forums on GopherHole is still better than reading the Fargo Forum.

Ya know, your message may have some merit, but since it appears to be the only message you are capable of delivering and you repeat it over and over and over, it no longer has any impact whatsoever.

Well, thank you very much cjbfbp. I will sleep better tonight knowing that you read my comments.

I'm going to try to categorize who plays and who redshirts. Here I go! What do you guys think??

Starters- Dre Mathieu, Dre Hollins, Squirrel Morris, Joey King, Mo Walker
Bench- Nate Mason, Daquien McNeil, Josh Martin, Gaston Diedhou, Elliot Eliason, (Kendal Shell)
Redshirts- Bakary Konate, Zach Lofton

If Diedhiou and Konate both end up here, seems to make sense that at least one of the two wouldn't redshirt. Can't see both of them sitting it out with Walker and Eliason as our only true bigs.

What is everyone's perception of Konate and Diedhiou?

So far they seem eerily similar from the little info I have on them and the little video I've seen.(they are the tall guy in the middle that dunks the ball)

Anyone have any substantial info?
Who is supposed to be better? Who is more ready to contribute?

What is everyone's perception of Konate and Diedhiou? So far they seem eerily similar from the little info I have on them and the little video I've seen.(they are the tall guy in the middle that dunks the ball).

Anyone have any substantial info? Who is supposed to be better? Who is more ready to contribute?

No substantial info here, but considering Louisville (reportedly) wanted Konate at one point and Diedhiou is a no-name that came out of nowhere, my money would be on Konate being more ready to contribute.

I'm going to try to categorize who plays and who redshirts. Here I go! What do you guys think?? Starters- Dre Mathieu, Dre Hollins, Squirrel Morris, Joey King, Mo Walker Bench- Nate Mason, Daquien McNeil, Josh Martin, Gaston Diedhou, Elliot Eliason, (Kendal Shell) Redshirts- Bakary Konate, Zach Lofton

All this tells me is we need to add another wing for next year. Something tells me we will. Somehow. Someway.

No substantial info here, but considering Louisville (reportedly) wanted Konate at one point and Diedhiou is a no-name that came out of nowhere, my money would be on Konate being more ready to contribute.

SS! I have a tendency to lean toward Coach Pitino's abilities to read into a project's future. We all have a tendency to look at today only, a Real Coach sees what he can do with the potential of a current and/or future Gopher. He has too much at stake to do otherwise, and his future depends on that ability to read what we commoners can.t comprehend.

Good Doctor, you're in the wrong place if speculation/predictions/opinions by "we commoners" troubles you so much. Pretty difficult to avoid those things when dealing with a team chat board!

Well Bismack Biyombo was a no-name that came out of nowhere but he became an NBA lottery pick shortly after getting some exposure. He still hasn't developed much but he definitely can rebound and block shots. If Diedhiou can do those things well enough in his first year, that will be enough for me. Most players who play in places like the Canary Islands or some other more obscure place overseas would be no names who come out of nowhere to American fans.

Another African big man, Amida Brimah, played on UCONN's national championship team this year as a freshman. Although raw, I thought he was a pretty significant presence when I watched them for a few games. When I looked him up, I was surprised that despite being 7 foot and playing high school ball with impressive numbers in a large metro like Miami, he was only offered one scholarship besides UCONN (from mid-major La Salle). He seems to have been a relative unknown, too.

When it comes to red-shirts I think the future is now and Pitino will play the best guy. If Mason takes minutes from Mathieu great, if EE and Mo sit on the bench because the new guys are better great, if Andrea Hollins gets beat out by Zach so be it… Play the best 5 to help us win, win now and for the next 30 years Pitino is here…

Would be interesting to have a game of our new 6 recruits against our remaining 7 scholarship players… I think the new guys would win…

Given that Konate and Diedhiou will both turn 21 before the year is over, it would be a terrible sign if either had to redshirt.

Maybe but

Given that Konate and Diedhiou will both turn 21 before the year is over, it would be a terrible sign if either had to redshirt.

the starting line is not in the same place for these two guys. You can't compare them to somebody who started playing in 3rd grade traveling, going to summer camps etc. These guys are athletes learning how to play. They can become 5 star guys but right now their skills and basketball knowledge needs to catch up with their athleticism. Having said that it's not fair to penalize them because they have not progressed to your timetable. They can still be spectacular and red shirt next year. My guess is that they may not redshirt, however.

I don't recall seeing a Gopher recruit as raw as Diedhiou. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't redshirt.

Or a sign of depth at their position so we have the luxury to redshirt one of them.

There didn't seem to be much time available for a third center this year except in a game or two where both centers were in some foul trouble. I'm not too concerned about the experience issue two years from now as they are both older and will be practicing with and against two fifth year seniors of better than average quality next year.

I think at least one of those two new big men probably needs to play next year. If not, the team would likely have the same issues at power forward that it had last year unless Josh Martin turns out to be great. If either one of them play, that should be sufficient front court depth.

Of course, there might be qualification issues down the road and neither of them may get to play next year. According to his coach, Konate, a native French speaker, still struggles with English. He would appear to be the less necessary of the two for next year.

I agree, I think one plays the other red-shirts. Konate would seem the more likely to play based on readiness, but you might be right about qualifying issues. I know Pitino will never play Mo/EE together, so the need for 3 is limited. But you never know what else can happen (i.e. Mo's 6 games suspension, etc.)

When it comes to red-shirts I think the future is now and Pitino will play the best guy. If Mason takes minutes from Mathieu great, if EE and Mo sit on the bench because the new guys are better great, if Andrea Hollins gets beat out by Zach so be it… Play the best 5 to help us win, win now and for the next 30 years Pitino is here…

Would be interesting to have a game of our new 6 recruits against our remaining 7 scholarship players… I think the new guys would win…

Well considering Lofton will sit out a year regardless, chances are slim he will beat out Andrea Hollins...

You think the new guys would win?? Did we recruit the fab 5 +1? Let's be real.....

Or a sign of depth at their position so we have the luxury to redshirt one of them.

Exactly. Not sure why some people don't consider that. If you already have two established centers with two more coming in, why not save a year of eligibility for one of them?

Top Bottom