Gophers looking for a high-major home-and-home starting Dec. 19 in Minneapolis

Hopefully they'll get a couple decent offers. Would be nice to have a quality home game right before Christmas, bridge the gap to the start of the Big Ten grind.

They're also open to a 2-for-1.

http://www.basketballtravelers.com/game-schedule-board/?e_type=1

Does 2 for 1 mean two here and one there or vice versa? An offer to go on the road twice would mean they are serious about getting a top opponent. The other way may mean settling for an MVC or A-10 type opponent.

I love the barn and obviously prefer the home games there, but have we considered using the X or Target Center to try and draw more top opponents. I remember when Clem was coach we played Nova and west virginia at the target center and Cal in the dome

Does 2 for 1 mean two here and one there or vice versa? An offer to go on the road twice would mean they are serious about getting a top opponent. The other way may mean settling for an MVC or A-10 type opponent.

I'm assuming 2 in Minneapolis and 1 on the road. Maybe a decent AAC/A-10/Conference USA/Mountain West-type opponent? Maybe someone along the lines of Tulsa/Rhode Island/Louisiana Tech/Utah State would be willing?

As you mentioned MVC perhaps another possibility. I think MSU did a 2-for-1 with Bradley a few years ago. A 2-for-1 with Wichita State would be cool, but I doubt either school would agree to that! Wichita State's too good to let a high major talk them into a 2-for-1, and Pitino probably has zero interest in going to Wichita, even if it means 2 games at The Barn vs. the Shockers.

I love the barn and obviously prefer the home games there, but have we considered using the X or Target Center to try and draw more top opponents. I remember when Clem was coach we played Nova and west virginia at the target center and Cal in the dome

Would prefer it @ Williams Arena, but if Target Center or the X is what it takes to get a quality opponent to come to Minnesota, and it's part of the season-ticket package, I'd be all for it. I liked those "road games" (as Clem called 'em) at Target Center/Metrodome as a change of pace, the ones @ Target Center, especially.

If we played somebody at Target Center or the X, do we get credit for a "neutral" game? That would be a pretty good deal.

If we played somebody at Target Center or the X, do we get credit for a "neutral" game? That would be a pretty good deal.

I believe the rule is if a school (in this case the U of M) is in charge of ticket sales and the game is part of the season-ticket package, it would be a home game for the Gophers. If Target Center/X was in charge of ticket sales, tickets would be first-come, first-serve so hence it'd be considered a neutral-site game.

It absolutely fascinates me that this website exists, is legitimate and open to the public.

Clemson's Director of Basketball Op's name is Dick Bender hmmmm.

I believe the rule is if a school (in this case the U of M) is in charge of ticket sales and the game is part of the season-ticket package, it would be a home game for the Gophers. If Target Center/X was in charge of ticket sales, tickets would be first-come, first-serve so hence it'd be considered a neutral-site game.

SS, Gonzaga plays a game at the Spokane Arena (not their home arena) every year and I believe it is not apart of the season ticket package. Are you saying that is considered a neutral game? Just curious.

Thanks.

A game at Target or X not on the season ticket package would be a nice measuring stick of Gopher Hoops popularity among the general public. Filling an arena with casual fans not forced to buy tickets to every game would show that their popularity is on the rise.

Hopefully they'll get a couple decent offers. Would be nice to have a quality home game right before Christmas, bridge the gap between NIT Season Tip-Off/ACC Challenge opponents in late November/early December & the start of the Big Ten grind.

They're also open to a 2-for-1.

http://www.basketballtravelers.com/game-schedule-board/?e_type=1

The post from Minnesota only mentions Home and Home... could mean High Major, but could be strong mid major from my guess.

Also, I think its funny that Illinois is looking for a Top 250 rpi team. Umm, you mean you are looking for anybody with a pulse?

SS, Gonzaga plays a game at the Spokane Arena (not their home arena) every year and I believe it is not apart of the season ticket package. Are you saying that is considered a neutral game? Just curious.

Thanks.

Excellent question, Madtown. My understanding was, yes, but after looking at the NCAA's neutral-site designation policies it appears you are correct, though there are appeal processes, including this one:

"For Division I men’s basketball starting with the 2007-08 season, consideration is given to who controlled the game tickets, who hired the referees and other game officials, the game’s inclusion on a season ticket package, and so on."

It'll be easier to understand if you get it directly from the NCAA policy manual. Go to page 9 (paragraph 2) for neutral-site/home-site designation. That paragraph seems to support what you were thinking.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/ForSIDs/Policies.pdf

The post from Minnesota only mentions Home and Home... could mean High Major, but could be strong mid major from my guess.

Also, I think its funny that Illinois is looking for a Top 250 rpi team. Umm, you mean you are looking for anybody with a pulse?

There are a few postings for Minnesota, including this reference to a HM:

"Minnesota is possibly interested in a High Major H/H on December 19th, 2014 starting in Minneapolis. Please contact me if you have any interest."

Go Gophers!!

There are a few postings for Minnesota, including this reference to a HM:

"Minnesota is possibly interested in a High Major H/H on December 19th, 2014 starting in Minneapolis. Please contact me if you have any interest."

Go Gophers!!

Got it.. I was looking at a recent post. I did notice that Dayton was looking for a similar game.. that would be sweet.

I can't believe this site exists; it's like a Craigslist for schedulers. Complete with improper punctuation, typos and over-the-top capitalization. Just fascinating.

They're looking for guarantee game on Dec. 19th and a Home-and-Home with a high major on December 19th. Seems it's no lock.

They're looking for guarantee game on Dec. 19th and a Home-and-Home with a high major on December 19th. Seems it's no lock.

Yep, covering their bases.

Based on past history, I'd bet the 19th will end up being a guarantee game.

Top Bottom