Timberwolves/Hoiberg Watch Thread

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Timberwolves coaching job is officially now open. Two names that will be in the mix, per sources, are Tom Izzo and Fred Hoiberg.</p>— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/statuses/458254349429665792">April 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This story kind of relates to the T-Wolves and the Gophers (recruiting rival), so we'll create a thread for it until Hoiberg decides what he's going to do.

ETA: I guess same could be said for Izzo too. Though I hope Hoiberg gets it.

Hope we hire Freddy for the Gophs and T-Pups sake.

I want him for the Bucks job too but that is a pipe dream.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Hoiberg isn't leaving for Minnesota. End of thread.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Timberwolves coaching job is officially now open. Two names that will be in the mix, per sources, are Tom Izzo and Fred Hoiberg.</p>— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/statuses/458254349429665792">April 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This story kind of relates to the T-Wolves and the Gophers (recruiting rival), so we'll create a thread for it until Hoiberg decides what he's going to do.

ETA: I guess same could be said for Izzo too. Though I hope Hoiberg gets it.

I see no way Izzo leaves for the NBA at this stage of his career. Freddie is just a matter of time and where. He would be a nice fit in Target Center. Come on, Flip, help yourself and th Gophers by making the hire!

I have to think this will move pretty quickly. Let's face it, it has been known for a while this was Adelman's last year. The Wolves have probably been putting out feelers and most likely already know whether Hoiberg or Izzo are interested. As a Wolves fan and as a Gopher fan I'd love it if they got Hoiberg.

As much as I would want Izzo, it wouldn't seem right having him coach anywhere but Michigan State.

What is unrealistic about Hoiberg coaching in the NBA, particularly for an organization he has already worked for?

1. He's not in a position where he has to take the first job offered to him.

2. It's Minnesota.

3. He is at Iowa State.

4. It's Minnesota.

5. It's Minnesota.

2. It's Minnesota.

3. He is at Iowa State.

4. It's Minnesota.

5. It's Minnesota.

you do realize if he were to want coach in the NBA, MINNESOTA would be one of his top choices, right? He played for them, had front office positon, and has a good relationship with flip and the ownership, he'd have more job security in Minnesota than any other NBA team

2. It's Minnesota.

3. He is at Iowa State.

4. It's Minnesota.

5. It's Minnesota.

2, 4, and 5 could also be used for reasons why he WOULD do it. Did you forget he played and worked for them?

2, 4, and 5 could also be used for reasons why he WOULD do it. Did you forget he played and worked for them?

Look. I will happily eat crow, but I don't buy the relationships making him take this job for a second. He can love everybody in the front office. It doesn't mean he would take a job that he is doomed to fail at.

Any college coach will tell you...an NBA coaching job is easier than a college job. Hoibergs connections make the most sense.

2. It's Minnesota.

3. He is at Iowa State.

4. It's Minnesota.

5. It's Minnesota.

Others have already noted it, but yes, being Minnesota would be a draw, not a negative.

Now, you could say if he's not sold on the direction of the squad, then yes, that's a negative, which is very possible. Love is a year away from possibly being gone, that's scary for any new coach to walk into. And yeah, he's got a good thing going in his hometown in Ames. But as far as NBA jobs go, the Timberwolves are an organization he's very connected to and would probably love to coach if the timing feels right for him, which I'm not sure now is.

Far from unrealistic though.

I can see it going either way.

Reasons he'd stay at ISU:
1. He's the mayor. He could coach there until he decides to retire. Great job security.
2. His family obviously lives there and I believe he has kids in school. They won't want to move.
3. The ISU program is on the rise. His transfer strategy works pretty well.
4. Kevin Love is a great player but he might be gone after this season.

Reasons he'd take the Wolves job:
1. $$$$$$$ - He makes $2.6M at ISU. Adelman made $6M with the Wolves. Say they offer Fred $5M/yr, that'd be hard to turn down.
2. Relationships and familiarity with the organization.
3. He wouldn't have to recruit.
4. Kevin Love is a great player and Fred would get one season to convince Love to stay.

Hey Fred, would you rather chase 16 year olds around the country this summer or golf at Bear Path?

Do you want to take the family to Europe this July for a vacation or do you want to spend the month flying back and forth between Vegas and LA sitting in the front row just so you appear to be showing "love" to 17 year olds?

Go Gophers!!

no idea yes or no

2. It's Minnesota.

3. He is at Iowa State.

4. It's Minnesota.

5. It's Minnesota.

but it is clearly realistic...he worked for the Twolves...it's either a plus or a negative to him...it's not an unknown like most any other organization would be to him...if it's a plus in his mind it's more realistic than anywhere else.

As you said, he is in Iowa. Minnesota is close to that. He'd be near home. realistic

The TWolves won 40 games but underachieved in most everyone's eyes. There is upside to the job/roster. He knows how hungry people are for a winner. Lots of reasons it is more realistic than say the Knicks. imo unless he feels Glen Taylor and or Flip are not people he cares to work for. If you know that? Then it is unrealistic.

Money, competitive fires, desire to coach at the highest level...if he doesn't care about any of those...then it's unrealistic. If he doesn't want to be close to home but actually home then it's unrealistic. But then any other NBA job is more unrealistic than the TWolves too.

3. He wouldn't have to recruit.

I'd have to think this is the big one for any college coach with an NBA opportunity. Do you like recruiting, or not?

I personally cannot even imagine having my career success depend on persuading (begging, cajoling, constantly texting, hand-holding) 18 year old kids to "choose me," but obviously a lot of these coaches must enjoy it.

Look. I will happily eat crow, but I don't buy the relationships making him take this job for a second. He can love everybody in the front office. It doesn't mean he would take a job that he is doomed to fail at.

I can't swear that he is doomed to fail, but I would agree with you that the risk is very high. He just received a raise at ISU from what I understand, he is very secure and very popular there, he is a good recruiter (a talent that is that is not a primary part of pro coaching) and has that program emerging as a desirable location for national recruits. Based on what he has done already at ISU, he can probably count on a minimum of five more years there. He couldn't count on more than about two years guaranteed (plus severance payouts) in the NBA.

you do realize if he were to want coach in the NBA, MINNESOTA would be one of his top choices, right? He played for them, had front office positon, and has a good relationship with flip and the ownership, he'd have more job security in Minnesota than any other NBA team

This! And with a buyout of only 500,000 it is clear that one of his goals is to coach in the NBA. He would get lots of time here with the good relationship with the front office. I want fred or Izzo

How much longer until ISU fans start showing up?

It is hard to turn down any job that would literally double your salary.

Would anyone here say no to a position that is a promotion doubling your current pay?

Not saying Fred would take it, but that's a LOT of money. Brad Stevens was a hero in Butler and had no problem jumping to the NBA. Money talks.

Wonder if a team like the Lakers would make a run at him.

That's a good point. And would he want that over MN? (May have a better shot at K. Love there though lol)

Personally, I am shocked more NBA teams aren't calling Kevin Ollie non stop.

Top Bottom