Gophers G tech 1990

I'd rather watch the Syracuse game from that year. The ending of this one makes my heart sink every time.

I just ripped every one of my fingernails out and got the same feeling as seeing Lynch's last 3 miss. Although if we had won we would have had to play the unstoppable force in UNLV in the semis.

Anybody know of a link to the sweet 16 game against Clemson in 97?

That game is when my handle was coined. My girlfriend - now my wife - kept yelling "bad Gopher!" at the TV every time a Gopher player screwed up. People in the room were giving her funny looks and laughing at her. They still give her a hard time to this day.

With how things are now, I can't believe every crappy SEC team wasn't waiting at the airport to whisk Clem away when they got back. I mean a Sweet 16 and an Elite 8 at poor little MN?

I just ripped every one of my fingernails out and got the same feeling as seeing Lynch's last 3 miss. Although if we had won we would have had to play the unstoppable force in UNLV in the semis.

Highway 55 should have made that last shot.

I too was at that game. 7th grader.

In my mind the technical on Burton when we had the ball, believe he said "call the damn fouls" while we were going up the court, cost us the game. Maybe it wasn't such a big factor, and as a 15 year old I saw what I wanted to see, but I've always believed we win that game if that wasn't called.

Will have to pull YouTube up on the tele and watch the game with the son tonight. Thanks for the link.

I love Lynch, but Burton was open trailing as was Coffey towards the basket for the tie

A final four would've been great but UNLV would've torn us a new one, they were a hellova team

That remains one of the 3 most brutal Minnesota sports losses I've ever experienced, along with the '87 and '09 Vikings. Brutal in that I felt all 3 teams really played well enough to win and deserved to win. (I leave out the '98 Vikings because, well, they were given every chance to win that game and they just blew it).

Minnesota 5-11 from the line, Georgia Tech 27-35. (Only 1 of those fouls was intentional). How does that happen?

And yeah, I remember MSU totally getting robbed the game before, although at the time I was glad we didn't have to play them.

Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 12.53.08 PM.jpg

These band uniforms might have been even the bigger, historic disappointment.

The 1990 Michigan State - GT snafu reminded me of the another game during that same tournament that was equally controversial - the ending to the Purdue (#2 seed) and Texas (#10) game. Keady wanted a goal tend and did not get one. He went absolutely ballistic in the post game press conference, the likes of which I have rarely seen from an experienced coach at a college or pro level. He would have been suspended and fined had the comments been made during a season, but do not remember any punishment (at least that was made public.)

Cannot find the press conference on youtube - but here is the controversial play - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1WSYo0kqfs

That remains one of the 3 most brutal Minnesota sports losses I've ever experienced, along with the '87 and '09 Vikings. Brutal in that I felt all 3 teams really played well enough to win and deserved to win. (I leave out the '98 Vikings because, well, they were given every chance to win that game and they just blew it).

Minnesota 5-11 from the line, Georgia Tech 27-35. (Only 1 of those fouls was intentional). How does that happen?

And yeah, I remember MSU totally getting robbed the game before, although at the time I was glad we didn't have to play them.

Yes, I remember seeing the Gophs lose to MSU in the home finale that year. Without checking the records, I think the Spartans won the league that year.

Yes, I remember seeing the Gophs lose to MSU in the home finale that year. Without checking the records, I think the Spartans won the league that year.

Yes they did. They were a 1 seed, but they beat the 16 in OT and barely won their second game before losing to GT. I think our chances would have been just as good against them. We also beat them at MSU that year.

The home loss was heartbreaking as it was the last home game for Burton, Newbern, et al.

Top Bottom