Sun-Current: Gophers’ NIT victory boosts fan interest

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Sun-Current:

Gopher season ticket-holders were thrilled with the outcome of the championship game as the Gophers held off Southern Methodist University 65-63.

One of those Gopher loyalists, former Hopkins High athletic director George Reynolds, said, “I see a lot of positives in the program. Richard Pitino is an extremely capable coach, and the upside for the Gophers is high.”

Pitino in demand?

Several season ticket-holders expressed concern that coach Pitino may be swept away by a bigger program.

That seems to be the way it works in college basketball these days.

“They throw so much money at these guys now,” said Davis. “Sometimes it is hard to say no. It might not be right away, but eventually Pitino will be offered other opportunities to coach.”

“Richard will be with us next year,” said Reynolds. “I’m pretty sure. But after that, he could be gone. He is a young, brilliant coach, and coaches like him are always in demand. I want to see what he will do when he has some four- and five-star recruits.”

Virum is hoping Pitino will stay long enough to put the Gophers on solid ground.

“We’ve changed coaches a lot,” he said. “Clem Haskins, Dan Monson, Tubby Smith, and now Richard Pitino. I don’t see Pitino leaving right away, but maybe five years down the road it could happen.”

Meanwhile, Virum encourages Gopher fans to enjoy the ride. Richard Pitino got New York City’s attention. Now, what’s next for this up-and-coming coach?

http://current.mnsun.com/2014/04/gophers-nit-victory-boosts-fan-interest/

Go Gophers!!

God I get so sick of the "woe is me, the sky is falling" attitude of Minnesotans. Maybe good coaches want to leave the state because its citizens are so damn depressing.

Does anyone else wonder why nobody writes about Bo Ryan bolting for a blue blood program? He's not from Wisconsin originally. Is this such a terrible place to live and work that the only conceivable option for a talented person is to get the frack out of here? Are we really convinced that we're a bunch of losers living in a god-forsaken wasteland?

Does anyone else wonder why nobody writes about Bo Ryan bolting for a blue blood program? He's not from Wisconsin originally. Is this such a terrible place to live and work that the only conceivable option for a talented person is to get the frack out of here? Are we really convinced that we're a bunch of losers living in a god-forsaken wasteland?
Could be because he's 35 years Pitino's senior and was in his late 50's when he got the Wisconsin job

Jim Larranaga was retirement age when he went to Miami.

True, but is Miami really a blue blood? Plus long term this final four isn't going to change the stereotypes of a Bo Ryan team, a place like UK or UCLA would run him out of town, Bo as much as I hate him has a good thing going for him and he'll be able to go out on his own terms

Was Lou Holtz really so great that folks will never get over it? It hasn't happened in the big 3 sports since then. That was 29 years ago. Let it go.

Bo Ryan's age has a lot to do with it, no doubt. But Tubby's not much younger and we had to hear the rumors constantly.

It hasn't happened in the big 3 sports since then. That was 29 years ago. Let it go.

The other silly thing about it is that Pitino hasn't done anything yet to merit getting "swept up" by a top program and, at 31 and with only two years of heading coaching experience, still has some learning to do. The NIT championship was a great experience and a nice achievement in his first year, but they might not have gotten to MSG had they not played three games at home and had one of the easier routes to the semi-finals.

If this team finishes in the top 5 of the Big Ten next year and wins a couple of games in the tournament, then he might look pretty attractive to a top program. Getting a couple of highly rated recruits over the next couple of years would also improve the resume for that type of aspiration.

He's

The other silly thing about it is that Pitino hasn't done anything yet to merit getting "swept up" by a top program and, at 31 and with only two years of heading coaching experience, still has some learning to do. The NIT championship was a great experience and a nice achievement in his first year, but they might not have gotten to MSG had they not played three games at home and had one of the easier routes to the semi-finals.

If this team finishes in the top 5 of the Big Ten next year and wins a couple of games in the tournament, then he might look pretty attractive to a top program. Getting a couple of highly rated recruits over the next couple of years would also improve the resume for that type of aspiration.

Also, if we can get the practice facility built, there's no reason to lose a basketball coach to UVa, Oregon, Arkansas, or worse yet Auburn or LSU among the many places Tubby was rumored to be off to. If Richard wants to succeed his dad at Louisville, there's nothing we can do about that. But we can provide pay and facilities such that he won't leave for anything other than one of those top 15 jobs.

Also, if we can get the practice facility built, there's no reason to lose a basketball coach to UVa, Oregon, Arkansas, or worse yet Auburn or LSU among the many places Tubby was rumored to be off to. If Richard wants to succeed his dad at Louisville, there's nothing we can do about that. But we can provide pay and facilities such that he won't leave for anything other than one of those top 15 jobs.

If we pay him what he is worth and Teague is a decent guy to work for....why would he leave. You can get rich and famous coaching a BiG school...just ask Tom Izzo. When we get the new practice facility done in two years, it will be time to add some luxoboxes to the Barn and fund raise to keep Coach Pitino.

9 times out of 10, you go to these blue bloods and fall short of the ridiculous standard set by the hall of fame coach everyone loves. Yes, there are exceptions like Osborne at NE in FB, but more often than not, you are remembered as much as the guy who replaced John Wooden or Adolph Rupp or Bear Bryant (I don't the names of any of their replacements which is my point).

Top Bottom