More regional projections

Lincoln gopher

Reaction score
Kendall Rogers at Rivals has the Gophers as a 2 seed in Houston, with Rice hosting as a national #2 seed/regional # 1 seed. The other 2 teams are Baylor and Manhattan. They have Ohio State as a 2 seed playing in Manhattan, KS with K State the # 1 regional seed. From that they have OSU as a higher 2 seed than the Gophers. Illinois is also in this projection as a 3 seed in Miami. That would make it one of the few times in several years that 3 Big Ten teams make the tournament.

I do think

the Gophers have an outside chance of a number one seed and hosting a region. This scenerio is highly unlikely but IF the Gophers win the rest of their games and win the Big Ten tournament they would probably get a one seed and host a region. NCAA desperately wants to give a one seed to a northern team and if we did that then it would probably happen. I still think it would be next to impossible to sweep Michigan and PSU away. So a two or three seed will probably happen.

Just because they had the Gophers going to a national seed site and Ohio State going to a non-national seed site does not mean they have the Gophers as a lower over all seed than Ohio State. They only rank the national seeds, and then rest of the seeds are set more by a regional basis. A 2 seed is a 2 seed no matter where they play. The 17th best team (hence a 2 seed technically) could go to the the number one national seed if it worked out better for travel, fan base, etc. Case in point, a couple years ago, the Gophers went to the Cal State Fullerton regional, who was a 2 seed as a host, and the number 1 national seed was the 1st seed in that bracket. That year, at the time of the selection, Cal State-Fullerton was the number 8-10 team in the country in every major poll.

Just because they had the Gophers going to a national seed site and Ohio State going to a non-national seed site does not mean they have the Gophers as a lower over all seed than Ohio State. They only rank the national seeds, and then rest of the seeds are set more by a regional basis. A 2 seed is a 2 seed no matter where they play. The 17th best team (hence a 2 seed technically) could go to the the number one national seed if it worked out better for travel, fan base, etc. Case in point, a couple years ago, the Gophers went to the Cal State Fullerton regional, who was a 2 seed as a host, and the number 1 national seed was the 1st seed in that bracket. That year, at the time of the selection, Cal State-Fullerton was the number 8-10 team in the country in every major poll.

I don't totally agree with you. First of all polls have little to do with seeding, just like in basketball. I know they don't seed 1-64 per say and certainly travel is considered. I am not sure how fan base is considered other than the host team having big crowds. They may not rank them but a 2 seed is not s 2 seed. In this case the Gophers going to Houston and the Buckeyes going to Manhattan has nothing to do with travel. We will have to agree to disagree.

Top Bottom