In new book, Calipari has advice for NCAA

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Among his ideas presented in "Players First: Coaching From the Inside Out," which is scheduled to be published on Tuesday, the WSJ reported that Calipari presents a 13-point plan for NCAA reform. Among them:

• Players should receive a stipend between $3,000 to $5,000;

• The NCAA should cover eligible players' insurance premiums;

• Athletes should be able to accept loans up to $50,000 against future earnings;

• If a coach leaves an institution, players should be able to transfer from that program without having to sit out a season;

• Athletes should be allowed one round-trip flight home every year.

"I believe the tide is turning. The NCAA will soon have to reform itself or it will not remain the dominant force in college athletics," the WSJ quoted Calipari from the book.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ipari-likens-ncaa-dying-soviet-union-new-book

Go Gophers!!

per ESPN:

Among his ideas presented in "Players First: Coaching From the Inside Out," which is scheduled to be published on Tuesday, the WSJ reported that Calipari presents a 13-point plan for NCAA reform. Among them:

• Players should receive a stipend between $3,000 to $5,000;

• The NCAA should cover eligible players' insurance premiums;

• Athletes should be able to accept loans up to $50,000 against future earnings;

• If a coach leaves an institution, players should be able to transfer from that program without having to sit out a season;

• Athletes should be allowed one round-trip flight home every year.

"I believe the tide is turning. The NCAA will soon have to reform itself or it will not remain the dominant force in college athletics," the WSJ quoted Calipari from the book.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ipari-likens-ncaa-dying-soviet-union-new-book

Go Gophers!!

I think those are all very valid points and is more likely to happen now than before due to what is going on in Illinois.

How about coaches honor their contracts so players don't have to move due to their coach looking for the next better job

How about coaches honor their contracts so players don't have to move due to their coach looking for the next better job

Calipari doesn't believe in coaches being held accountable.

Oops, did I say that? I think I did.

So you're saying if you signed a contract at your current job, but were then offered more money somewhere else, you wouldn't take it if you had the opportunity?

I agree with every point he lists. Seems like a pretty fair set up to me.

I thought this was already in place, but after looking into it more, I see that it is not. Very surprising to me. My prior understanding was that there is a grace period to transfer. Joe Coleman, for example, didn't make up his mind in time and transferred too late. Therefore, he had to sit out a year.

Calipari is no dummy. Deep down he cares for his and all other players. Unfortunately, he cares for himself first and foremost.

However, his points are valid, imho.

Calipari is no dummy. Deep down he cares for his and all other players. Unfortunately, he cares for himself first and foremost. However, his points are valid, imho.

This is all just going to be ironic when he is coaching the Lakers next year lol

There are disincentives to leaving a job in the middle of the contract and they appear to be built into most contracts.

The only point I have a problem with is the "loan". I see that getting some players into quick financial trouble upon leaving school.

The only point I have a problem with is the "loan". I see that getting some players into quick financial trouble upon leaving school.

Agree. Just about every kid that signs thinks that $50k will be tip money for them when they turn pro.

What I don't like about this part is that would just hurt the school even more. So an up and coming coach could get a program turned around, then leave and take a few of his best players with him. Wouldn't that just put that program right back to where they were before?

The whole loan issue would seem to have a multitude of gray areas. Would boosters be able to give players "loans", etc.

The whole loan issue would seem to have a multitude of gray areas. Would boosters be able to give players "loans", etc.

I can only imagine the default rate for players who don't make it to the pro's. Maybe Calipari is trying to legalize something that is already going on under the table.

Is this like Capone having advice for the FBI?

Seriously, the question remains, where is this money for stipends coming from? As much money as there is in college basketball, most schools have trouble balancing their overall athletics budgets.

Is this like Capone having advice for the FBI?

Seriously, the question remains, where is this money for stipends coming from? As much money as there is in college basketball, most schools have trouble balancing their overall athletics budgets.

Stephen Bardo brought up a good point on BTN Live last night. With all the stuff that's going on with regards to unionization, stipends, paying players, the Big 5 conferences potentially getting more power, Shabazz Napier's tummy growling, Bardo pointed out no one's saying much about Title IX. Whatever ends up happening, Title IX is going to play, a huge, huge role in this thing. It's likely going to get really ugly before anything truly significant is resolved.

per ESPN:

• Players should receive a stipend between $3,000 to $5,000; Gotta have something to pay for all those tats and earrings you know

• The NCAA should cover eligible players' insurance premiums; They are special and shouldn't ever have to pay premiums or deductables like anyone else

• Athletes should be able to accept loans up to $50,000 against future earnings; Because it's a sure thing that they are all going to be millionaires in the NBA and be able to pay back the loan

• If a coach leaves an institution, players should be able to transfer from that program without having to sit out a season; then coach cal won't have to rely on freshman every year. He'll be able to get the most talented players that are already developed.

• Athletes should be allowed one round-trip flight home every year. Gotta go see the homies you know

Go Gophers!!

x

Stephen Bardo brought up a good point on BTN Live last night. With all the stuff that's going on with regards to unionization, stipends, paying players, the Big 5 conferences potentially getting more power, Shabazz Napier's tummy growling, Bardo pointed out no one's saying much about Title IX. Whatever ends up happening, Title IX is going to play, a huge, huge role in this thing. It's likely going to get really ugly before anything truly significant is resolved.

I've heard Bardo before on this subject and I think he overestimates the relative value of any given player's contribution to a team in calculating all this. What seems to get overlooked, along with the realities of athletic department budgets in all D-1 schools, is the perception that all college and D-1 sports are created equal. They are not. The worst part about paying for play is that it only separates the haves and have nots even more. The big conferences can grab for more and more, but especially in basketball, its overall popularity is not just about them, but the little guys they let in their sandbox every March. I still think a free education is a pretty good deal for the players when only a small few will ever earn money playing sports.

Top Bottom