UMass' Derrick Gordon says he's gay

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
"I just didn't want to hide anymore, in any way," Gordon told ESPN. "I didn't want to have to lie or sneak. I've been waiting and watching for the last few months, wondering when a Division I player would come out, and finally I just said, 'Why not me?'"

Gordon, a native of Plainfield, N.J., said that a key moment for him came when the Brooklyn Nets signed veteran center Jason Collins to a 10-day contract in February. Collins, who publicly acknowledged his sexuality last May, became the first openly gay player in NBA history when he took the court against the Los Angeles Lakers on Feb. 23. "That was so important to me, knowing that sexuality didn't matter, that the NBA was OK with it," Gordon said. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...becomes-first-openly-gay-ncaa-division-player

If he is looking for attention, Michael Sam beat him to the punch. Good for him. Who cares? Move on.

Does it help him with his handles?

giphy.gif

I look forward to the day when this isn't news anymore. Who cares.

it's newsworthy. i'm surprised how this publicity upsets people

I look forward to the day when this isn't news anymore. Who cares.

Until each sport has their "first", it's gonna be newsworthy I'm guessing. Thing is, do we have to do the whole "exclusive" interview thing? I guess maybe it helps some people, but to me it just feels like exploiting the situation.

Until each sport has their "first", it's gonna be newsworthy I'm guessing. Thing is, do we have to do the whole "exclusive" interview thing? I guess maybe it helps some people, but to me it just feels like exploiting the situation.

It certainly can be. But it doesn't have to be. It can be telling an important story. To others above, he is the first **active** player to come out, isn't he? And even if he isn't, he's one of the first. Just relax and ignore it. Not sure why the coverage would bother people so much.

Hey I'm heterosexual!!! Anyone care? Didn't think so. What you do in the bedroom & who with has nothing to do with basketball & personally is none of my business... Move on everyone.

Hey I'm heterosexual!!! Anyone care? Didn't think so. What you do in the bedroom & who with has nothing to do with basketball & personally is none of my business... Move on everyone.

+1000

People like to hear about things that they are interested in. Most people aren't interested in players' sexual preference. When ESPN and other places spend most of their time covering something that few people are actually interested in hearing about, they get annoyed. Seems like the opposite of surprising to me.

Tell that to the politicians who make a big deal out of everyone's sexual orientation.

I'll tell ya one thing... Put a camera in my bedroom, and I guarantee that you will fall asleep quickly. Who wants to watch a guy drink himself to sleep. Of course, the NSA will be kept awake wondering what I am up to.

Disagree. I don't care about the sexual preference of any celebrity (or any private citizen for the matter). And the sooner the media would stop pointing to any one type of sexuality as newsworthy, better, or in any way different than any other the sooner we'll be able to let private matters stay private.

There will be a day when this is not newsworthy. That day is not today. I don't get why people get upset about it. No one forced you to read the article. The media reports on thousands of things every day that you don't care about. Does that also upset you?

Disagree. I don't care about the sexual preference of any celebrity (or any private citizen for the matter). And the sooner the media would stop pointing to any one type of sexuality as newsworthy, better, or in any way different than any other the sooner we'll be able to let private matters stay private.

Or... just maybe... going out on a limb here ... this issue is bigger than the individual players that "come out" and will give countless young people hope that they won't get teased, beat up, bullied, and in some extreme cases murdered for being themselves. Maybe that's why some people think it's a big deal. We live in a pretty mean, unjust world in case some of you have just been watching BTN and ESPN nonstop for the last 5 years.

Good for him, good for the NCAA, and good for humanity. It's newsworthy to me; nobody is forcing you to read anything. :p

Or... just maybe... going out on a limb here ... this issue is bigger than the individual players that "come out" and will give countless young people hope that they won't get teased, beat up, bullied, and in some extreme cases murdered for being themselves. Maybe that's why some people think it's a big deal. We live in a pretty mean, unjust world in case some of you have just been watching BTN and ESPN nonstop for the last 5 years.
Too many white folks get attacked because they are white, Christians for being Christian ...people knowing your race/religion/or sexuality has nothing to do with preventing these types of attacks.

Happy for the guy. While many people seem to dislike that this gets so much attention...this IMO is another important step in sports.

Too many white folks get attacked because they are white, Christians for being Christian ...people knowing your race/religion/or sexuality has nothing to do with preventing these types of attacks.

Agree. Hate is hate and will manifest itself regardless. But the support side of things changes a whole lot. Makes it easier to deal with bullying, teasing, attacks, etc when you know an entire community is behind you, or that it's becoming accepted, or that there are professional athletes or celebrities that are "like me". That it's normal and ok. Sorry you don't get that.

Agree. Hate is hate and will manifest itself regardless. But the support side of things changes a whole lot. Makes it easier to deal with bullying, teasing, attacks, etc when you know an entire community is behind you, or that it's becoming accepted, or that there are professional athletes or celebrities that are "like me". That it's normal and ok. Sorry you don't get that.
Sorry that you do not get there is nothing "to get " we live in a diverse society the whole community is diverse and and therefore will not be entirely behind anything. Learn to stand on your own 2 feet and do not feel compelled to conform to community or individual pressures..

Sorry that you do not get there is nothing "to get " we live in a diverse society the whole community is diverse and and therefore will not be entirely behind anything. Learn to stand on your own 2 feet and do not feel compelled to conform to community or individual pressures..

mmm.. ok, whatever. I'll be sure to tell all of the people contemplating suicide that providing them with role models has annoyed you.

And that last part. Are you talking to me or the people that are getting beat up? Wasn't sure.

mmm.. ok, whatever. I'll be sure to tell all of the people contemplating suicide that providing them with role models has annoyed you.

And that last part. Are you talking to me or the people that are getting beat up? Wasn't sure.

100% with you BarnBoy... While everyone is clamoring for the world to move on, and that someone's sexuality is irrelevant and none of our business, the LBGT community is still marginalized and discriminated against.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that the world will be a better place when someone's sexuality is not newsworthy. But, for that day to come, we will have to go through these novel revelations like Derrick Gordon, Michael Sam, and Jason Collins. These guys are just the necessary stepping stones to that ideal world.

Being gay has been seen as a sin by the church for so long that it is tough for society to change its beliefs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom