Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne's young friend, dies from cancer

Oh no. Well that's just a sock in the gut. Thanks for passing that along, Blizzard.

At least she got to watch him/them play in the tourney.

New 1st time father of a baby girl here. Tough to read/think about these things. Don't know if I would be this choked up about it 35 days ago I don't know how anyone could deal with losing a child.

Shouldn't cry at work.

This makes talking about new coaches and recruiting news seem not quite as important , at least for awhile.

wow, that's really sad, I was always under the impression that she was doing better

Absolutely awful to hear. I was under the same impression that she was doing much better :(

Oh no! That story and their friendship was heartbreaking and heartwarming all at the same time. Prayers to her family and to Payne for their loss

Awful news. Seems so quick after we just saw her cheering on TV during all the tournament activity.

I remember them panning to her in the crowd during MSU's last game. This story made me cry last year and this year when The Journey told their story so beautifully. This really breaks my heart. A little girl should never have to go through this...no one should. :(

Awful news. Seems so quick after we just saw her cheering on TV during all the tournament activity.

Yeah, was just at the slam dunk competition cheering him on, sad to hear, praying for her family. Watching Payne from his early years to now as a senior is a great story, and Lacey is a big part of that as well. Just exactly what you want from a 4 year college player. A lot of people could learn from his example and growth.

I remember them panning to her in the crowd during MSU's last game. This story made me cry last year and this year when The Journey told their story so beautifully. This really breaks my heart. A little girl should never have to go through this...no one should. :(

Well said, GL. RIP, little girl.

+1. Terrible news.

absolutely terrible news. My Thoughts and prayers go out to her and her family. No one should ever lose someone this young. I can't imagine what Payne is going through right now. Made me shed a few man tears when I heard about it this morning. RIP Lacey.

How sad. Certainly puts my own daily irritations into perspective.
Both she and Payne clearly benefited from their relationship and I feel we did also by having it shared with us. RIP

Very sad news thoughts and prayers to her family and another very tough thing for Adreian Payne to have to go through.

Say what you want about the Big Ten Network, but The Journey is a terrific show about the human element in sports. I became a big fan of Izzo, Payne, and Lacey as a result. This story was particularly fascinating and now tragic. I feel bad for them.

I'll hug my kids longer tonight.

The relationship between Lacey and Adreian always made me smile. Very sad to hear she has passed.

Very sad news. Thank you, Adreian Payne, for everything you did here.

I ran across this on twitter:

https://twitter.com/StaciaKalinoski

Some coverage and photos of Izzo and the players at a memorial this evening.

"God sends angels to us sometimes and when their work is done He calls them home."

I saw the news about young Lacy passing away, yesterday, and simply wept for her parents. When you have a child, whether it's your own or someone close to you, that dies it will straighten out your priorities in life very quickly and it will show you whether your faith is of any value or not. The ache of emptiness when a young child's voice is silent in the house is heart-wrenching. I pray that Lacy's parents and close family will find comfort and solace in their faith and in each other.

Life is hard. Tell the people around you that you love them!

Peace

Powerful and emotional speech by Izzo (hat tip DZ):

Man just sad sad news. I will pray for her family tonight.

Top Bottom