Did UConn RA Really Send Whiny Email Telling Residents They're 'Cheering for Laundry'

I went to college in New Orleans. First and only floor meeting with the RA took place after we all moved in on the first day.

"There are five stalls in the bathroom. The first two are for barfing, the second two are for crapping, the one nearest the window is for pissing. Got it? Okay, next order of business, raise your hand if you are against this being a smoking floor. (one dude raises his hand). Okay, it's official this is a smoking floor, feel free to smoke in the lounge and hallway. Finally, don't throw beer bottles off the balcony. They'll pick up beer cans, but they get mad about broken glass".

God bless you Manisha from Sri Lanka.

I had an RA that let us blatantly co-hab (we lived next to him) and get drunk in the common areas. It was fantastic. Was the only reason I lived in the dorms 2 years

RA's who take their "job" too seriously are hilarious.

I agree for the some of them, but they can get fired if they don't do their job. That's thousands of dollars they would kiss goodbye. It is a job, which is why you have to interview, go through training, and get paid for doing it.

A little over the top and negative. Nice school spirit, "you are cheering for laundry." That being said, I can't imagine how crazy these kids can get in the dorms in this situation. I was in the dorms when the Twins won the World Series in 87 and some kids got out of control. That was for pro baseball, not our own school.

I agree for the some of them, but they can get fired if they don't do their job. That's thousands of dollars they would kiss goodbye. It is a job, which is why you have to interview, go through training, and get paid for doing it.

Uhhhh..former RA, right?

My RA would have sex with his girlfriend with the door open and then get mad when we would sneak a peak. Frontier!

Absolutely. I went to Carleton, which I'm sure is a much different experience than going to a big school. That RA really epitomizes what I'm talking about though.

As a former RA (don't hate me for wanting some extra help with finances) I would have handled it differently. I would have sent an email saying that it is a school night and respect neighbors at the later hours. I would recommend partying somewhere else like that jerk RA did. But then because my school was playing in the national championship I would have traded my shift with some try-hard RA who doesn't care about the game and then went away to go get drunk with buddies off campus while watching the game and celebrating.

Asking residents to be quiet is just as effective as writing them up especially when there is no need to ruin what should be a fantastic night. That guy is a jackass-wagon (thanks to the poster who I saw use that word earlier on the board and letting me use it).

Wasn't "Cheering for laundry" part of an old Seinfeld routine about major league sports?

Having put myself through Grad school as a hall director, I see a lot more humor and 'put on ' attitude in here than the rest of you do - hence the Seinfeld reference. Its a drag to be responsible - with basically no real power - when there's a good chance of a lot of crap about to go down (ie. see Iowa State). Much ado about nothing here. This guy is probably not a jerk, but the guys who forwarded this to ridicule him probably are.

As a former RA (don't hate me for wanting some extra help with finances) I would have handled it differently. I would have sent an email saying that it is a school night and respect neighbors at the later hours. I would recommend partying somewhere else like that jerk RA did. But then because my school was playing in the national championship I would have traded my shift with some try-hard RA who doesn't care about the game and then went away to go get drunk with buddies off campus while watching the game and celebrating.

Asking residents to be quiet is just as effective as writing them up especially when there is no need to ruin what should be a fantastic night. That guy is a jackass-wagon (thanks to the poster who I saw use that word earlier on the board and letting me use it).

Why even send a note? Doesn't all of that go without saying?

I'm confused. Your posts have never stood out as being unreasonable... but you're saying that the way he phrased that email shouldn't elicit ridicule? I'm not saying he's a jerk, but you can't possibly think that wasn't a jerky email, right?

Having put myself through Grad school as a hall director, I see a lot more humor and 'put on ' attitude in here than the rest of you do - hence the Seinfeld reference. Its a drag to be responsible - with basically no real power - when there's a good chance of a lot of crap about to go down (ie. see Iowa State). Much ado about nothing here. This guy is probably not a jerk, but the guys who forwarded this to ridicule him probably are.

That's not overstated at all or anything...

Are you referring to something besides the one thread with under 50 posts? I realized it's locked, but still. I would say the first openly gay D1 bball player is an acceptable topic on here. Do you disagree? Or else what exactly was the purpose of the snotty comment?

Talking about gays/lesbians seems to be a highlight on this board.

I'm confused. Your posts have never stood out as being unreasonable... but you're saying that the way he phrased that email shouldn't elicit ridicule? I'm not saying he's a jerk, but you can't possibly think that wasn't a jerky email, right?

It would appear that the email's humor was lost on people, including me. I doubt anyone would make a big deal about the email if everyone caught the references to Seinfeld. This officially shows that Seinfeld references are out of date and need to end, especially if you're communicating to people who are younger than 25.

Its a stupid controversy

Thanks for the question
My experience was that the majority of college underclassmen (ie those living in the dorms) didn't respond well to reasonable when partying. No offense, but most of them wouldn't bother to read and pay attention to something that didn't irritate them, that is, a jerky notice. Many of the highlights of hilarity at our staff meetings were RAs sharing how they managed to finally get their points across. Sorry if you happen to be a student, but lots of students act like idiots on these occasions, esp. after excessive drinking.

At the site where this is linked, there's another link about Kentucky fans celebrating by setting stuff on fire. Thats a lot of fun to manage! I think the carrying on about this (as if he ruined the whole U-Conn triumph?) is much dumber than the email, considering how dumb it is to ruin your education for celebratory flipping of cars. If that kind of activity was unusual, then perhaps his message would be out of line but...

So...I think the RA was acting the jerk to get his point across and try to make sure that if there were problems, they were not on his floor. He had the unlucky draw to have duty that night, and his thanks was his floor plastering the email on the internet. A-holes who couldn't recognise he was trying to do his job and make sure stuff they'd all regret didn't happen. 'Mean old RA tried to rain on our parade.' Yeah, I think it was a pretty immature move.

And yeah, I'd probably rather have a beer w/him than the guys on his floor.

I understand your point better now--I was mainly just curious. Nobody claimed the RA ruined the whole U-Conn triumph though. It was a rude and over the top email that assumed the worst in the people on his floor. You think anyone would respond well to that? Like his warning wouldn't annoy them and make them care less?

Unless they do illegal things or break stuff, your peace and quiet shouldn't be enforced that strongly after a championship like that. Stop taking yourself and your life too seriously. (Aimed at them, not you)

Also, you've oddly assumed a ton of people on the floor posted that and therefore they must all be a-holes before they've done anything that he's predicting they'd do. I hadn't noticed anything about it being a bunch of people posting it, but maybe you're right.

Anyway, not Gopher related so we won't carry on. I was just curious because I usually agree with you and you took a surprisingly strong stance in a different direction partially because of a bias from experience and hearing about crazy celebrations (the completely unreasonable ones) that small fractions of people at schools have.

Thanks for the question
My experience was that the majority of college underclassmen (ie those living in the dorms) didn't respond well to reasonable when partying. No offense, but most of them wouldn't bother to read and pay attention to something that didn't irritate them, that is, a jerky notice. Many of the highlights of hilarity at our staff meetings were RAs sharing how they managed to finally get their points across. Sorry if you happen to be a student, but lots of students act like idiots on these occasions, esp. after excessive drinking.

At the site where this is linked, there's another link about Kentucky fans celebrating by setting stuff on fire. Thats a lot of fun to manage! I think the carrying on about this (as if he ruined the whole U-Conn triumph?) is much dumber than the email, considering how dumb it is to ruin your education for celebratory flipping of cars. If that kind of activity was unusual, then perhaps his message would be out of line but...

So...I think the RA was acting the jerk to get his point across and try to make sure that if there were problems, they were not on his floor. He had the unlucky draw to have duty that night, and his thanks was his floor plastering the email on the internet. A-holes who couldn't recognise he was trying to do his job and make sure stuff they'd all regret didn't happen. 'Mean old RA tried to rain on our parade.' Yeah, I think it was a pretty immature move.

And yeah, I'd probably rather have a beer w/him than the guys on his floor.

Forgot to say... I get that part of it was a joke, but I got the idea that was only a small part of it.

I would have pennied this guys door shut and left him to stew for the night. Seinfeld was funny...this guy was a dbag. So it goes....

It would appear that the email's humor was lost on people, including me. I doubt anyone would make a big deal about the email if everyone caught the references to Seinfeld. This officially shows that Seinfeld references are out of date and need to end, especially if you're communicating to people who are younger than 25.

No soup for you!

Top Bottom