It's Official: Marlene Stollings is the new Gophers women's basketball coach

BleedGopher

Reaction score
This definitely warrants a new thread - congrats Marlene Stollings!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a>- Give a warm welcome to our new <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersWBB">@GophersWBB</a> coach! Welcome to MN, Marlene Stollings! <a href="http://t.co/ckXJWUR02z">http://t.co/ckXJWUR02z</a> <a href="http://t.co/CScti3tMJI">pic.twitter.com/CScti3tMJI</a></p>— Minnesota Gophers (@GopherSports) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherSports/statuses/453234167543640064">April 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

at least the U was able to retrieve a better picture of Stollings then what was posted on the Strib.

marlene.jpg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>6-year deal for Stollings w/ <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a>. VCU tried to renegotiate knowing schools would call. Ex-MN coach Brenda Frese is a big backer of her.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/453241541205569536">April 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a>- Give a warm welcome to our new <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersWBB">@GophersWBB</a> coach! Welcome to MN, Marlene Stollings! <a href="http://t.co/ckXJWUR02z">http://t.co/ckXJWUR02z</a> <a href="http://t.co/CScti3tMJI">pic.twitter.com/CScti3tMJI</a></p>— Minnesota Gophers (@GopherSports) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherSports/statuses/453234167543640064">April 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

I think Joe Pesci wore that suit in Goodfellas.

Behind her 100%!!. She plays up tempo and injects some young blood into the program.

With 1 great offensive player (Banham), 1 very good offensive player (Zahui), and one HS scoring record holder (Wagner) on the roster. The up-tempo offense should work out good.

I also think Hirt will do well in this offense.

Her offensive reputation will be good for recruiting.

POLLYANNA!!!

Maybe I am way off here but since football, men’s basketball and men’s hockey are the only teams that make money isn’t it better to have a bad Women’s team, it would seem the more games they play the more money the University will lose…

Plus if the guys do the union thing does that mean all the non revenue sports will get canceled anyway?

All about the money it would seem...

Maybe I am way off here but since football, men’s basketball and men’s hockey are the only teams that make money isn’t it better to have a bad Women’s team, it would seem the more games they play the more money the University will lose…

Plus if the guys do the union thing does that mean all the non revenue sports will get canceled anyway?

If this team were a perennial NCAA squad, and made Sweet 16 runs often, I don't think money is an issue.

You're correct. The best thing to do would be to fire Borton and just let the team coach itself by committee. That way, when they are too awful to even compete, we can drop it so we can focus on football and men's basketball.

I'm amazed Teague didn't work towards this goal more vigorously.:rolleyes:

This guy for our next AD! :rolleyes:

You're correct. The best thing to do would be to fire Borton and just let the team coach itself by committee. That way, when they are too awful to even compete, we can drop it so we can focus on football and men's basketball.

I'm amazed Teague didn't work towards this goal more vigorously.:rolleyes:

Maybe he did? She might be the next Tara? But 33 and 29 and losing in the first round of the WNIT to Princeton by 18 isn't real inspiring. She did win one game in the conference tournament. Lost their only national tv game by 18 to GW, another WNIT team. It is her second year. She made the non conference schedule at VCU and they started 14 and 1. In their last 17 games however, they finished 8 and 9 and she parlayed that into becoming the Gopher's coach? Also not very inspiring or trending upward.

She inherits a 22 and 13 team. She has two Big Ten stars and Hirt inhouse and Minnesota's best recruit coming, along with a handful of others. Some of those rated higher than Wagner by some and not by others. Of all the coaches available in the country you hire the same person twice? Seems a little lazy to me? Maybe she is that spectacular? I dunno, maybe lots of people said no? But the So Dak guy (Johnston) said he wasn't talked to? (from somebody who knows him) Recruiting is crucial...it's a little hard to get elite players to move to South Dakota. (tax advantages are not their first concern) Ivey has been the recruiter for Notre Dame's top recruits. She did demonstrate the ability to recruit. I could be wrong but it seems better would be possible? Maybe not?

Just asking questions and miffed at the hire. She could well be the best candidate available. I'm just not blown away by all the circumstances.
Pitino is awesome! Maybe Marlene is better? Dunno? Anxious to see.

Teague didn't hire Stollings, he was already at Minnesota in June of 2012.

At the opening presser, it was Benedict that did the speaking for the VCU athletic department.

[/B]

Maybe he did? She might be the next Tara? But 33 and 29 and losing in the first round of the WNIT to Princeton by 18 isn't real inspiring. She did win one game in the conference tournament. Lost their only national tv game by 18 to GW, another WNIT team. It is her second year. She made the non conference schedule at VCU and they started 14 and 1. In their last 17 games however, they finished 8 and 9 and she parlayed that into becoming the Gopher's coach? Also not very inspiring or trending upward.

She inherits a 22 and 13 team. She has two Big Ten stars and Hirt inhouse and Minnesota's best recruit coming, along with a handful of others. Some of those rated higher than Wagner by some and not by others. Of all the coaches available in the country you hire the same person twice? Seems a little lazy to me? Maybe she is that spectacular? I dunno, maybe lots of people said no? But the So Dak guy (Johnston) said he wasn't talked to? (from somebody who knows him) Recruiting is crucial...it's a little hard to get elite players to move to South Dakota. (tax advantages are not their first concern) Ivey has been the recruiter for Notre Dame's top recruits. She did demonstrate the ability to recruit. I could be wrong but it seems better would be possible? Maybe not?

Just asking questions and miffed at the hire. She could well be the best candidate available. I'm just not blown away by all the circumstances.

Teague's track record seems to indicate that he knows what he's doing in regards to basketball coaches. So I'm going to trust his decision on this and see what transpires.

Teague didn't hire Stollings, he was already at Minnesota in June of 2012.

At the opening presser, it was Benedict that did the speaking for the VCU athletic department.

Ellis and Benedict did the hiring at VCU. Where are they now? Who do you think did the hiring here?

Ellis and Benedict did the hiring at VCU. Where are they now? Who do you think did the hiring here?

While Ellis has Teague's ear, Norwood has the last word. And Benedict is the COO of the Auburn athletic department.

Rochester Post Bulletin: Choice of VCU coach puzzling

RUFF: The Gophers have hired Marlene Stollings as their women's basketball coach.

Stollings comes from Virginia Commonwealth, the same place from which Minnesota nabbed current Gophers AD Norwood Teague. Minnesota is also going hard after VCU's head groundskeeper, who apparently is a "keeper." We can only hope. . .

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_6b0a8858-b35d-53bb-929b-87b4d6651f39.html

Go Gophers!!

MN Daily: Column: Stollings should invigorate Gophers, ya feel me?

Minnesota has become a hot-bed of sorts for women’s basketball, but the state’s elite players regularly pass on the Gophers in favor of other programs.

There have been a couple exceptions in Rachel Banham and incoming freshman Carlie Wagner — skilled, athletic guards who can shoot the long ball.

It sounds like the run-and-gun offense will be a perfect fit.

Ya feel me?

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/women...tollings-should-invigorate-gophers-ya-feel-me

Go Gophers!!

[/B]

I think this is a fair critique - of the coach we hired and of the hiring process itself. Hoping for the best, but I would have preferred Johnston or another proven commodity with local ties - like perhaps Paul Fessler.

MN Daily: Column: Stollings should invigorate Gophers, ya feel me?

Minnesota has become a hot-bed of sorts for women’s basketball, but the state’s elite players regularly pass on the Gophers in favor of other programs.

There have been a couple exceptions in Rachel Banham and incoming freshman Carlie Wagner — skilled, athletic guards who can shoot the long ball.

It sounds like the run-and-gun offense will be a perfect fit.

Ya feel me?

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/women...tollings-should-invigorate-gophers-ya-feel-me

Go Gophers!!

I hoped the "Ya feel me?" kid would have graduated by now.

[/B]

Nice to see a thoughtful post, 60's Guy, after some of the absolutely moronic contributions on looks, orientation, or the status of the women's program. First, you can criticize the record, but it seems like she took over programs that weren't very good and improved both of them in a short time. Would like to see better numbers at VCU, but not knowing the players or the circumstances that 8-9 finish doesn't worry me. Hopefully, that 14-1 start doesn't indicate she loads up on cupcakes to pad the record. Borton, at least, tried to have an attractive non-conference schedule.

Not sure whom you have in mind when you think there were all sorts of better coaches available other than Johnston. The list the Tribune had didn't impress me. The Wichita State coach looked the best until I read she made her team do push-ups at halftime because they didn't do a warm-up drill properly. But Jim Foster? Really? A grumpy 70 year old is the last thing this team needs after living with Pam's sunny personality. Johnston looks good, but you have no idea if he was asked or not despite what he says. Haven't heard many coaches say, "Oh, ya, they contacted me but I told them I already had a better job." Also, IMO, it's a toss-up with Johnston. Longer, proven record but no assurance he was going to step up his recruiting here. All things equal, he might have lost out because he's not female. Norwood is fund-raising and I've always thought there's a potential among women donors.

Rather than lazy, I'm going with they hired somebody they knew really well a second time because they're absolutely sure they were right the first time. Ellis and Norwood don't strike me as the lazy types, anyway. Someone who replaced Maturi has got to know what an albatross a poor hire can be to an AD even if it's not on the same level. Ivey's recruiting resume at Notre Dame doesn't impress me that much. It's Notre Dame and Muffy has a hell of a reputation. You and I could get some kids to sign there.

The one disquieting thing about Stollings is that she is from a nomadic tribe. But I'm so happy to have Borton gone, I'm even putting a good spin on that. She wanted a wide variety of experiences, and, with all of her wandering, she has built a network that will serve her well in recruiting and putting together a staff. Lots in common with Richard Pitino and this seems to be one of the main similarities. Of course, if she pulls an Oldfield/Frese on us after a year or so, I'm going to be really pissed.

Finally, as a glass half full guy most of the time, I came across an interesting item on the VCU site. VCU just announced the building of a 25 million dollar practice facility for basketball. A certain Coach Stollings was quoted that it would be a great boost to the program and thanked the donors. Too much reading of the tea leaves or are we closer to that than we hope?

I have no problem with this hire at all. She seems to want a fun and exciting brand of basketball that will draw in talented players. With that said hiring a Coach for a Women's team has far more questions than we might have for a men's position because lets face it how close do fans follow other coaches. In Men's basketball we know something about each coach and what he could bring to the table. In the women's game I am not sure we know nearly as much. How many would know Johnston of SDSU if he wasnt coaching the Jackrabbits? If he was the coach at a smaller school in Alabama would we know who he is at all?

I hope Coach Stollings and her players can return the Gophers team to the place where they should be in the Big Ten. I see no reason at all that this team can't be a top 5 team in the Big Ten every season. Minnesota produces a good number of quality Girls Basketball players each year and the fans have shown in the past they will show support when he team is entertaining and winning. If I look at the Mens and Womens programs at the U I have no doubt the Women's program has some big advantages over the men when it comes to local talent but they need to tap into it more often than they do. With that said I sure hope Stollings can bring in more recruits from around the country. Borton to her credit did get some good recruits from other locations across the country and overseas.

Teague's track record seems to indicate that he knows what he's doing in regards to basketball coaches. So I'm going to trust his decision on this and see what transpires.

Agreed. His track record speaks for itself and as a result, I'm taking a wait and see approach with how this goes.

Top Bottom