GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Djuan Piper Talks Recruiting, Says Gophers are a "program on the rise."

Q&A: Djuan Piper Talks Recruiting, Says Gophers are a "program on the rise."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/373472?referrer_id=331171

Djuan Piper, a 6-6 small forward from Seattle (WA) Rainier Beach, visited Minnesota February 8th and attended the Gophers' 66-60 win over Indiana and has received heavy interest from Minnesota throughout his senior season.

Piper was the hero for Rainier Beach as they won the Washington Class AAA title by defeating Eastside Catholic 47-45. He hit the game-winning shot with 3.8 seconds left as the Vikings finished their season 30-0.

Rainer Beach played in the Dick's Sporting Goods High School National Tournament this past week, but lost to Findlay Prep 67-59. Piper finished with five points, eleven rebounds and four steals.

Piper averaged 9.9 points, fifth on the team and was named second team All-Metro Conference this season.

Gopher Hole caught up with Piper Friday night to learn the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: I know that you came up on the short end against Findlay Prep, but what was the experience like coming to New York and trying to play for a national championship?

Djuan Piper: It was fun after the good season that we had. It was an opportunity that a lot of kids don't get.

Gopher Hole: Was it a little bit tough because you hadn't played in a game since March 8th?

Djuan Piper: It wasn't when we were playing because it is just basketball. It was hard getting our rhythm. We couldn't get shots to go (They shot 24 of 78 for 30.8%). Our defense was there, we just couldn't get our shots to go

Gopher Hole: What about your own individual play? I know that you had a good game, especially on the boards. How pleased were you with your own play?

Djuan Piper: I had a good game rebounding. Defensively, I could have done more. On the offensive end, I lead my team, but we came up short.

Gopher Hole: Findlay Prep is obviously a very good team. What was your impression of them?

Djuan Piper: I think that they were a good team. They were very athletic, but I didn't think that they were as good as us.

Gopher Hole: Is it tough to go all the way out there and get to play just one game? Do you wish you had gotten to play another game?

Djuan Piper: It was tough, but it is just really hard that I will not be playing these kids anymore. That is the hardest part.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest with your college recruitment right now?

Djuan Piper: The same three schools. I said that I wouldn't announce where I was going until I got back to Seattle.

Gopher Hole: When are you planning on making your announcement?

Djuan Piper: I don't know.

Gopher Hole: Are you still looking at the same three schools, Minnesota, Washington and Gonzaga?

Djuan Piper: No, Washington, South Carolina and the University of Minnesota.

Gopher Hole: When did South Carolina get involved?

Djuan Piper: A month or two months ago.

Gopher Hole: Have you been out there yet?

Djuan Piper: No.

Gopher Hole: Are you planning on trying to make a trip out there?

Djuan Piper: I don't know. Probably.

Gopher Hole: What do you like about each school? What do you like about Washington?

Djuan Piper: It is the hometown school.

Gopher Hole: What about Minnesota?

Djuan Piper: I like the program. The team. It is a program on the rise. They just won the N.I.T. championship.

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to watch them play on TV at the N.I.T?

Djuan Piper: Yes. They were good.

Gopher Hole: What do you think about South Carolina?

Djuan Piper: They are good.

South Carolina? Damn. I keep checking every so often hoping to see that he has committed to MN. Now that season is over my guess is Pitino goes to work pretty hard on some players to make this program that much better.

I get the impression that if he was going to Washington he would say more than they're the hometown team. Sounds like there's a lot of turmoil with the Washington program and their coach

How would you like to have this waiting for you at South Carolina. Issues.

[video]http://fat.gfycat.com/WigglyTinyAmericanratsnake.mp4[/video]

Is it a good sign that he said about 3 full sentences about Minnesota as opposed to about 3 words each for Washington and SC?

He doesn't sound to enthusiastic about SC by only saying "they are good" when asked about them that's for sure. He only goes into detail about Minnesota as well, so one would think..

He doesn't sound to enthusiastic about SC by only saying "they are good" when asked about them that's for sure. He only goes into detail about Minnesota as well, so one would think..

SC was 14-20 (5-13), so they are REALLY good!

A man of few words...he's just bout that action boss!

Is it just me, or does it sounds like he's tiring of the recruiting questions?

SC was 14-20 (5-13), so they are REALLY good!

I saw them a couple of times earlier in the year and thought they were better than their record. They have a well known coach but improving substantially in the SEC might be a tough order. I also think that Piper would make a better decision coming to the Big Ten where he has more chance of being noticed as a freshman than in the SEC where he likely would be overshadowed by the stable of freshman studs that Calipari brings in or, to a lesser degree, the ones brought in by Billy Donovan.

Is it just me, or does it sounds like he's tiring of the recruiting questions?

Bingo! I usually cut all of these kids a lot of slack. They get pounded by these websites and probably by their classmates, etc. I'm sure it really is an ordeal that most of them think might be cool at the beginning, but gets old quickly. I would be giving three word answers too if I were them.

Of course, he can end getting pounded by just announcement his commitment to Minnesota!:D

Top Bottom