CBS: Calipari wants to change 'one and done' to 'succeed and proceed'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

The biggest impact John Calipari hopes to have at this year's Final Four -- aside from winning his second national title -- is to eliminate one-and-done from college basketball.

Not the doctrine, just the maxim. He's tired of the cynical nature behind the three-word mantra that's created a perception problem for the sport and, in part, led the NBA to consider increasing its minimum age requirement from one to two years removed from high school. And so Calipari -- who's been his typical, playfully brambly self with the media amid this unexpected drive to Dallas -- is looking for more positive infusion.

"Succeed and proceed."

That's the phrase, the new Cal crusade. A propitious slogan for his program. The twist on one and done came about after fans made suggestions to local Kentucky radio. Kentucky picked which one it liked best.

"It will be on T-Shirts," Calipari said.

So was "40-0" at one point, but this is more realistic. This is about the hopeful essence of being good and not having ability to attain early wealth be a bad thing. It's positivity for Calipari, for his program, for college basketball. It's also image control. Whether it's Saturday or at some point in the future, Kentucky players will don the shirts and stump for a credo they didn't even come up with, but will certainly and gladly help campaign for. The succeed-and-proceed push is an initiative that Calipari hopes can bring in a more appreciative tone to the empire he's built in Lexington, and across the sport.

"Well, I have the bully pulpit right now so I can talk about it, but my thing is I'm proud of what we have done for these young people," Calipari said. "We have had 17 players drafted. Many of those just changed the whole direction of their family. Every one of them in the league right now. It's not like guys are going and they should have never left. They didn't make it. Look at this. They're all doing well. Not only are they doing well, they're giving back to their communities."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...to-change-one-and-done-to-succeed-and-proceed

Go Gophers!!

Succeed and Proceed? What is that even supposed to mean? The one and done saying isn't going away. Sorry Cal.

Succeed and Proceed? What is that even supposed to mean? The one and done saying isn't going away. Sorry Cal.
Succeed in first year of college and proceed on to the NBA. And the article addresses that the concept of one-and-done isn't going away, just that he wants there to not be a negative connotation.

Succeed in first year of college and proceed on to the NBA. And the article addresses that the concept of one-and-done isn't going away, just that he wants there to not be a negative connotation.

"Succeed" is a very loose term. Never going to catch on.

So I guess this means they're at least accepting the fact that their program is a revolving door to the NBA where high school kids just stop by for 9 months and leave again, they're just trying to put a positive spin on it. As far as what Kentucky has done for these kids, I think these recruits are doing Kentucky a favor more than the other way around. It's not like there weren't literally probably at least 300 other Division I basketball programs that would have welcomed any one of them with open arms.

"One and done" when talking about an individual is high praise. I wouldn't call it a negative connotation. He tries to recruit the best in the country. I don't see the negatives.

Kentucky doesn't have to apologize for anything. They're the bad guys in the same way that Miami is in the NBA, everyone needs someone to hate. Might as well hate the superstars.

Along with "succeed and proceed", is the rest of the slogan, which is "stay and decay".
What happens if you're not good enough to right to the NBA? - your time gets cut and you sit on the bench.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/roster/_/id/96/kentucky-wildcats
I'm not familiar enough w/the team to know who might be a Kendall Shell, but here's what I see:
2 seniors who combined account for 12 minutes a game
3 juniors combined for 1 minute
2 Sophomores who account for about 40 minutes
So what is your future at Kentucky, if you don't proceed? And does this fit anywhere the intent of college basketball?

Top Bottom