Mathieu won't use the NIT title for offseason motivation, he already had plenty

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

Mathieu has two missions for next season -- strength and improving his jump shot. Though the Gophers floor general shot just a tick under 49 percent from deep, he only took 45 triple tries all season.

"I'm definitely going to get in the weight room and get a lot stronger," he said. "And I'm going to shoot a lot of jump shots so guys can't go underneath screens. It's just going to be a big summer for me, a really big summer."

Mathieu said the NIT title doesn't necessarily provide motivation for the offseason, he already had plenty of that after being excluded from every All-Big Ten team after the regular season.

"I was already motivated because of the Big Ten choosing and all that, how I didn't make any of the teams," he said. "This does a lot more for my confidence to win a championship with these guys and know we're all coming back."

http://www.mndaily.com/blogs/upon-f...nt-use-nit-title-offseason-motivation-he-alre

Go Gophers!!

That was a nice match up with Moore. Pretty even through out the game.

Love his attitude as a player. So much heart. I was happy to see him smile for once (during the ceremony). If he cuts down on the turnovers and focuses on defense a little more consistently, watch out BT. And if he can make good decisions consistently on when to pull up, pass, or drive when he gets through the lane. That Russel Westbrook pullup if a beauty.

When this kid puts his mind to something he makes it happen. He'll have an improved jumper next year and watch out because that will make him an absolute nightmare to guard.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Love his attitude as a player. So much heart. I was happy to see him smile for once (during the ceremony). If he cuts down on the turnovers and focuses on defense a little more consistently, watch out BT. And if he can make good decisions consistently on when to pull up, pass, or drive when he gets through the lane. That Russel Westbrook pullup if a beauty.

Yeah. He is very special. The speed with which he plays, is able to recognize defenses and slice right through them while driving to the hole, either to put up a shot, draw a foul, or pass either to the inside or the out, it is just absolutely something else. That speed, he reminds me of no one else more than Robert Pack, to bring back a name from the past, but that's the only player I can think to compare him to so far as that speed and innate ability to drive right down the heart a defense.

He has wondrous talent, and yes, the turnovers are one unfortunate byproduct a player playing at such hyper-speed like that, and hopefully he can reign those in without inhibiting everything else he brings, because turnovers or not, he is an electrifying and ultimately winning player, as his positives will always far outweigh the negatives, at least in my opinion.

And yes, that shot where he pulls up right in the heart the lane and lets loose that teardrop, jeezum fricken crow, it's such a thing of beauty it about brings a tear of joy my eye. :) And how he can be moving at top-speed and just like that stop on a dime and unleash that beauty, and how there is no defending that absent egregious foul, and how that's just simply lovely, and again, he is a supremely special player, one whom brings joy my eyes to watch, and most of all thank God he's ours.

He's become one of my favorites to watch, ever, a Minnesota Golden Gopher whom will live always, in love, and memory, such that I will never, ever forget him, nor what he meant to us this season.

A ringing memory, and thank you, DeAndre.

And now, keep going, please.

He will always have some turnovers that does not bother me to much. The way he plays he will put himself in a few bad spots during games. But that speed also gets us many many easy baskets, easy shots for open 3's from teammates and layups from post. I hope plays the exact same way next year. He was this teams MVP and it wasn't even close until the last 6 games of the year when Austin hollins decided to play like the senior we thought he was.

I think he could average 15 points and 5 assists next year. Really could be an elite player in the Big Ten if he improves this off-season.

Hahaha, I can't tell quite how much of that was serious, but it's safe to say I'm not the only one with a mancrush on Mathieu. He just plays the game the right way. You make a good point about how fast he plays. I hope he's able to get under control but not slow down too much. Part of his "recklessness" (for lack of a better word) is what makes him great. There's a reason why the leaders in the NBA in turnovers are usually great players.

Yeah. He is very special. The speed with which he plays, is able to recognize defenses and slice right through them while driving to the hole, either to put up a shot, draw a foul, or pass either to the inside or the out, it is just absolutely something else. That speed, he reminds me of no one else more than Robert Pack, to bring back a name from the past, but that's the only player I can think to compare him to so far as that speed and innate ability to drive right down the heart a defense.

He has wondrous talent, and yes, the turnovers are one unfortunate byproduct a player playing at such hyper-speed like that, and hopefully he can reign those in without inhibiting everything else he brings, because turnovers or not, he is an electrifying and ultimately winning player, as his positives will always far outweigh the negatives, at least in my opinion.

And yes, that shot where he pulls up right in the heart the lane and lets loose that teardrop, jeezum fricken crow, it's such a thing of beauty it about brings a tear of joy my eye. :) And how he can be moving at top-speed and just like that stop on a dime and unleash that beauty, and how there is no defending that absent egregious foul, and how that's just simply lovely, and again, he is a supremely special player, one whom brings joy my eyes to watch, and most of all thank God he's ours.

He's become one of my favorites to watch, ever, a Minnesota Golden Gopher whom will live always, in love, and memory, such that I will never, ever forget him, nor what he meant to us this season.

A ringing memory, and thank you, DeAndre.

And now, keep going, please.

Top Bottom