ESPN's Darcy on Pitino: " Here’s guessing this won’t be the last net he cuts down."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
ESPN's Darcy on Pitino: " Here’s guessing this won’t be the last net he cuts down."

A nice column on Pitino per ESPN's Kieran Darcy:

But it’s a significant step for Pitino, given this was his first year at Minnesota, following one year as head coach at Florida International.

After the Golden Gophers finished cutting down the net, the players and coaches did not immediately head back to the locker room. Instead, Pitino gathered everyone together for one final huddle.

Later, Pitino was asked why he did it, and what he said.

“I just thought for our seniors ... [there’s] something special about walking off the court a winner and ending your career that way,” he said. “[And] I told the guys coming back, I’m so fired up to get back to work.”

The truth is, he was already back to work, mere minutes after this season had ended.

Here’s guessing this won’t be the last net he cuts down.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/colleges/post/_/id/7331/richard-pitino-leads-minnesota-to-nit-title

Go Gophers!!

Beat me by two minutes. Hopefully, Darcy's conclusion is correct. Would be nice to see the Gophers cut some nets down someplace other than MSG (unless the East Regional is being held there).

I couldn't be happier for Richard. I know the great debate on GH is get to the tournament and lose or win the NIT. Thats a very trite conversation considering what happened and how we've already discussed it at length. We didn't make the NCAA, we made the NIT, and we won the NIT. I'm not going to be unhappy we won the NIT because we didn't make the NCAA, I was unhappy about not making the NCAA about a month ago.

Quit dwelling on the past and lets look at what we have in front of us. A very enthusiastic head coach who is chomping at the bit to succeed.

Quit being fearful of the future that our coach will have so much success that he leaves us. Given said success, the ride is going to be fantastic and we will all remember him favorably and thank him for said ride.

It's a great day to be a Gopher fan. Our Hockey programs are doing well, wrestling is doing well, gymnastics is doing well, footballl is on the rise and so is basketball.

I'm a proud Gopher in Buckyville today. I'll weather the jabs at our 3 letter tournament vs their 4 letter tournament. Bottom line is, given what we had been given, we won the damn championship. Something I, as a Gopher Fan, have never seen before, a team end the year on a win.

I would still prefer a tourney bid, but they don't write articles like that for teams that make the tourney and lose their first game.

Beat me by two minutes. Hopefully, Darcy's conclusion is correct. Would be nice to see the Gophers cut some nets down someplace other than MSG (unless the East Regional is being held there).

I'm guessing the NBA and the Knicks will stand in the way of a regional semifinal/final from ever being held at MSG unless they workout like a two week road trip to make that and the NIT final four possible.

I'm guessing the NBA and the Knicks will stand in the way of a regional semifinal/final from ever being held at MSG unless they workout like a two week road trip to make that and the NIT final four possible.

if the NCAA wouldn't make them use the generic NCAA court it would be easily do-able. The Knicks played at MSG on Wednesday between the NIT games. and depending on how long it takes to change the courts out, it could still be done for the NCAA. This country has overcome bigger obstacles

Top Bottom