ESPN projections - College Baseball regionals

As it stands right now, we're in great shape in terms of making the NCAA Tourney. Our RPI rating is really strong thanks to a tough non-conference schedule while also going 13-4 in the Big Ten so far has given us some nice wiggle room.

At this point, I'm more interested in winning the Big Ten than anything else. Right now, it looks like a three-team race between us, Illinois and Ohio State with Indiana starting to fade a little bit. But with the way our top three pitchers have been throwing lately, I think we're in pretty good shape for a nice run at the end.

Need to take care of NDSU tomorrow and then have a big series with Michigan this weekend.

Should be an interesting last couple of weeks heading towards the Big Ten Tournament!!!!

The good thing is that Illinois and Ohio State still have to play each other, so someone's gotta lose there. I hope we can remain focused for tomorrow and the last two series as the road is anything but easy.

We need to win tommorrow. That's for sure!

seriously! with the exception of columbus, oh can those sites be anymore distant.....

from the mid-west?!?! that is messed up. and they wonder why the big ten doesn't do as well as the southern schools who all get to play in regionals so close to home.

from the mid-west?!?! that is messed up. and they wonder why the big ten doesn't do as well as the southern schools who all get to play in regionals so close to home.

The regionals are set up first by teams putting in a request to host them. The regional sites in the projected bracket are not finalized. The regionals are also based on national seeding. So, in essence, a university has to apply for a regional and then be seeded in the top 16 in the country to host one. There are a few exceptions to this, usually based on quality of fields and attendance possibilities. Usually end up with 2 northern locations, maybe 3 if you include the west coast, Oregon State comes to mind. With Nebraska sucking this year, one northern location is lost as they have hosted a regional 3 of the last 4 years. If you are very good you can get a regional if your facilities are good, Thus more southern schools get regionals, better teams and 4000+ seating.
The Gophers just need to keep playing well and get a 2 seed in a regional.

It would be sweet to host a regional once the new Siebert Field is built. Is this a possibility?

We will be a one seed and host a region if........

we win the rest of our 7 games left and all our games in the Big Ten tournament. The Likely hood of this happening are about the same odds as Brewster leading us to a national title this year!

It would be sweet to host a regional once the new Siebert Field is built. Is this a possibility?

You bet it would be possible. The NCAA will always need 1 or 2 northern regionals. Ohio State will probably host this year as a 2 seed. The northern stadiums don't have to be as big as most that will host "down south". I would think that the new Siebert would suffice just fine. My how things have changed, in 2000 a regional was actually held at Siebert Field.
I know Johnny mentioned it earlier that Minnesota did have a bid in using Midway, I believe.

You bet it would be possible. The NCAA will always need 1 or 2 northern regionals. Ohio State will probably host this year as a 2 seed. The northern stadiums don't have to be as big as most that will host "down south". I would think that the new Siebert would suffice just fine. My how things have changed, in 2000 a regional was actually held at Siebert Field.
I know Johnny mentioned it earlier that Minnesota did have a bid in using Midway, I believe.

Don't have to be as big as stadiums down south? Why? How many thousands of students go to Ohio State, Michigan, or Minnesota? So what you are saying is there less interest in baseball at these schools (or areas)....why deny schools that earn the right to host a regional which would attract more fans to "give" a regional to another school with a lower RPI and less fan interest?

Tiki answers-kinda long

Don't have to be as big as stadiums down south? Why? How many thousands of students go to Ohio State, Michigan, or Minnesota? So what you are saying is there less interest in baseball at these schools (or areas)....why deny schools that earn the right to host a regional which would attract more fans to "give" a regional to another school with a lower RPI and less fan interest?

I will try and answer your questions as I understand them.
First, you answered your first couple of questions with your comment about interest in baseball. As much as I love the Gophers and the Big Ten, the interest in baseball is much greater in the south. Attendance figures are huge in the Big 12, Sec among others. Teams like Rice with very small student population will have 5000+ at most games. Nebraska, a Nothern success the last 10 years, has averaged 5000 a game for the season, with 8-10000 showing up for regional and super regional games. I have followed college baseball a long time and crowds like that don't show up in the Big Ten for baseball. Believe me, the NCAA makes a bunch of money off of the regionals and supers. Tickets are sold for the whole regional as a package. So when 8000 fans show up for a Nebraska game in a Lincoln regional, those same 8000 tickets are sold for the games played by teams also in the regional, which actually get about 1500 in attendance.

Now for your last question, I think it refers to my statement of always having 1 or 2 nothern sites. The NCAA does try to use reduced travel when they can for regionals, so there is always enough northern teams to have 1 or 2 northern sites, they have to be at least a 2 seed to be considered for a host site. That doesn't mean a nothern team won't travel down south or vice versa, but travel is a consideration.

Top Bottom