2014-2015 Depth Chart Speculation

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
Since we don't have a game until this weekend, I figured I'd pose this question: Who do you want to see as the starters going into next year? We currently have 10 players that will likely return next year. We still have 3 scholarships to use, but I'm talking about the known quantities...

Seniors: Mathieu, Dre, EE, Mo
Juniors: Morris, King
Sophomores: Buggs, McNeil
Freshmen: Martin, Mason

I'd like to see this line up and depth chart:

PG: Mathieu / Mason
SG: Dre / McNeil
SF: Buggs / Morris
PF: Martin / King
C: Mo / EE

I think McNeil is best served as the 6th man off the bench replacing Mathieu or Dre. I think Buggs could be a dynamic 3 with a little work on his ball handling. I also think Martin is almost a guarantee to start at the 4. Mo has shown more (IMO) to deserve the start going into next year, even though EE will likely retain his captain status.

Since we don't have a game until this weekend, I figured I'd pose this question: Who do you want to see as the starters going into next year? We currently have 10 players that will likely return next year. We still have 3 scholarships to use, but I'm talking about the known quantities...

I think McNeil is best served as the 6th man off the bench replacing Mathieu or Dre. I think Buggs could be a dynamic 3 with a little work on his ball handling. I also think Martin is almost a guarantee to start at the 4. Mo has shown more (IMO) to deserve the start going into next year, even though EE will likely retain his captain status.

Next year is going to be an exciting year for this team. Austin is a big loss but I have a feeling that there will be some serious off season development of players physically and skill-wise plus the addition of some new names not on your list.
The coach will study and learn from this past year as well. I feel really good about where we are headed next year. We will still probably be picked as a bottom half team, but I just think we are going to be better than that-even though the Big Ten will also be better (and bigger).

Agreed, I really like the way the team is looking for next year and we still get to add 3 pieces.

next year, the only tubby holdovers will be Buggs, Hollins, Walker, and EE. Kinda crazy.

I wonder if Mo or Elliot are on track to graduate this year. Both guys are worthly of starting, wouldn't be surprised if one of them used the graduate transfer rule and transferred

I've said it before in a different thread but I think Buggs will primarily be a PF in this system. I think it's somewhat unrealistic to pencil in Martin as a starter right now. To be honest, I don't think our starting PF is on the roster right now (including those who have signed LOI's). But if he is, it's a toss up between King, Buggs, and Martin. Ideally we find a JUCO or transfer PF who's physically and mentally ready to play in the big ten, because right now the PF position still scares me for next year.

I agree with just about everything else though. I still think Dre Hollins will be the primary backup PG with Mason and McNeil sharing minutes at both guard spots. Mason is more of a combo guard than a pure PG.

IMO, the ideal way to use the 3 remaining scholarships is to use 2 on JUCO's or transfers that are ready to contribute right away. Preferably, one is a solid PF and the other a longer wing who can play SF. Then use the final scholly on the best available HS senior you can get, maybe a guy like Konate so somebody is waiting in the wings when Molliot Waliason graduates.

Next year is going to be an exciting year for this team. Austin is a big loss but I have a feeling that there will be some serious off season development of players physically and skill-wise plus the addition of some new names not on your list.
The coach will study and learn from this past year as well. I feel really good about where we are headed next year. We will still probably be picked as a bottom half team, but I just think we are going to be better than that-even though the Big Ten will also be better (and bigger).

+1

Seeing that potential lineup makes me realize how much we need wing players, and a Big on the team learning the system and waiting in the wings for when EE/Mo graduate. Hopefully Piper/Eubanks/Konate all commit here.

2015 will also be a big recruiting class for the gophers, as we will be losing arguably our best 4 players in EE/Mo/Dre/Dre, hopefully we can make some big splashes on the recruiting trail next year, I'd expect pitino to land some good ones considering how close he came with so little time to build a relationship in this years class big time recruits.

I think the starting line-up will be:
Matthieu
Hollins
Morris
Martin
Ellison
This could obviously change with any 5th year transfers.

I think Morris likely starts at the 3 too. I'd just like to see Buggs get a shot at it, though I realize that is a long shot.

With the current roster I see these guys starting:

PG: Mathieu
SG: Andre
SF: Morris
PF: Martin
C: Mo

Before the season started Pitino said we might see 3 point guards on the floor at times (which I hope doesn't actually happen), so it wouldn't surprise me to see McNeil play some 3 if we don't land anymore wing players. I'd be cool with Buggs playing the 3 if he improves his ball handling, otherwise I would like to see him backing up Martin after putting on some muscle this offseason.

With the current roster I see these guys starting:

PG: Mathieu
SG: Andre
SF: Morris
PF: Martin
C: Mo

Before the season started Pitino said we might see 3 point guards on the floor at times (which I hope doesn't actually happen), so it wouldn't surprise me to see McNeil play some 3 if we don't land anymore wing players. I'd be cool with Buggs playing the 3 if he improves his ball handling, otherwise I would like to see him backing up Martin after putting on some muscle this offseason.

I think that is the lineup.

My guess is Mo comes back with a lot of muscle and has the edge on Elliot- no knock on Elliot.
Mathieu works on the 3 point shot, Andre gets some quickness back and Morris and Martin are ready to play big minutes.
My guess is that we will often see a longer more athletic team out there that traps more in the press. Buggs would be part of that at either the 3 or 4.

I think that is the lineup.

My guess is Mo comes back with a lot of muscle and has the edge on Elliot- no knock on Elliot.
Mathieu works on the 3 point shot, Andre gets some quickness back and Morris and Martin are ready to play big minutes.
My guess is that we will often see a longer more athletic team out there that traps more in the press. Buggs would be part of that at either the 3 or 4.

I see Buggs being mostly a 4 and maybe some at the 3 for a defensive substitution. I think he will be a bench player and never a full-time starter.

station19;858942[B said:
I see Buggs [/B]being mostly a 4 and maybe some at the 3 for a defensive substitution. I think he will be a bench player and never a full-time starter.

You feel the same as I do, 19. Neither of us knows a damned thing.

next year, the only tubby holdovers will be Buggs, Hollins, Walker, and EE. Kinda crazy.

I wonder if Mo or Elliot are on track to graduate this year. Both guys are worthly of starting, wouldn't be surprised if one of them used the graduate transfer rule and transferred

I would, shocked actually. Why would you even bring that up?

The way Buggs is going (albeit he has only played in two BIG games) I think King will be the odd man out for minutes.

Changes are still coming. Its a new 'Gopher' season, what's next.

King may get some run at SF in certain lineups next year

Because like I said, You feel the same as I. Therefore equals.

Also, I read GopherHole, and there are too many experts for us to compete with.

How do you know that?

King may get some run at SF in certain lineups next year

89e.gif

Mathieu
Dre
Morris
King
EE

I'm assuming Morris starts because you don't bring a JUCO in to be a backup, especially at a spot where you don't have anyone else that's qualified. EE starts over Mo because he's still the better defender and rotation wise it makes more sense for Mo to anchor the second group as an interior scoring threat, taking some pressure off of the McNeil/Mason/Buggs/Martin 2nd unit which, lets be honest, may have some issues.

Mathieu
Dre
Morris
King
EE

I'm assuming Morris starts because you don't bring a JUCO in to be a backup, especially at a spot where you don't have anyone else that's qualified. EE starts over Mo because he's still the better defender and rotation wise it makes more sense for Mo to anchor the second group as an interior scoring threat, taking some pressure off of the McNeil/Mason/Buggs/Martin 2nd unit which, lets be honest, may have some issues.

Three things-

1. Pitino doesn't do the hockey line changes -so no concern about the second 5 all playing together- it rarely happens.
2. I just can't see King starting more than a few games next year. He's a plugger and has some offensive skills but a real low ceiling athletically. No knock on King but Martin or Buggs or a transfer are going to start or we are in trouble.
3. Mo is showing more of an upward trend than EE- I am guessing some added strength and another year of conditioning his defense will improve and so will his offense which already isn't bad.

Three things-

1. Pitino doesn't do the hockey line changes -so no concern about the second 5 all playing together- it rarely happens.
2. I just can't see King starting more than a few games next year. He's a plugger and has some offensive skills but a real low ceiling athletically. No knock on King but Martin or Buggs or a transfer are going to start or we are in trouble.
3. Mo is showing more of an upward trend than EE- I am guessing some added strength and another year of conditioning his defense will improve and so will his offense which already isn't bad.

+1

Three things-

You know, after reading oleboy41's post, I had pretty much agreed with him. But after thinking about it more, I realized that I was applying a Tubby-style filter to it. Tubby, love him or hate him, stuck to his guns and generally kept the lineups pretty consistent. If he were coaching this lineup, I'd have no trouble believing that Mathieu/Dre/Morris/King/EE would be our starting rotation for the season opener. But since Pitino seems to operate in a different manner (no better/worse claims), I think you're right.

The way Buggs is going (albeit he has only played in two BIG games) I think King will be the odd man out for minutes.

I don't think it will be next year but Kings senior year I doubt he sees the court or maybe transfers.

Mathieu
Dre
Morris
King
EE

Totally agree with you Oleboy. Also I think we are getting a little to carried away with Martin's expected effectiveness as a freshman. Remember Rico? Clearly Martin has talent, but still it will be King's second year here so I except a jump from him next year (not monumental but a steady one). Martin should get good minutes next year but it wont be starter minutes in my opinion.

Top Bottom