Brilliant inbound play saves Oakland in Horizon opener

I think that if he was there another millisecond sooner it would have been the right call. It looks really close to me but it's still a very smart play by Oakland.

I was told about the same play in junior high by our history teacher. Some basketball coach in Aurora did the same thing in the playoffs.

It says they told the ref before the play, the ref anticipated the call. Horrible call as it should be a blatant foul with the defender firmly planted for that to be called at the end of a game. That was a 50-50 foul call at best.

I've also heard of one where the guy inbounding the ball, holds the ball out towards the defender and the defender grabs it for a technical foul.

I've also heard of one where the guy inbounding the ball, holds the ball out towards the defender and the defender grabs it for a technical foul.

I think you are mistaken. It is a technical if the defender reaches across the out of bounds line and slaps or grabs the ball.

That was a bad call. If the guy was stationary from the start, it is a foul.

Brilliant play?.....maybe. Seen it before by other teams over the years.

Staples, circa 1980s

Brilliant play?.....maybe. Seen it before by other teams over the years.

Yes, it's been around a long time. I remember a really good Staples team in the 80's (I think John Riewer was their star) using that play in a regional game to avoid a huge upset. Staples then went on to the state tournament.

looked like a block to me. no way was he set. The inbounder went too soon. We tried it a couple of times back in the day and never got the call to go our way.

defensive coach

looked like a block to me. no way was he set. The inbounder went too soon. We tried it a couple of times back in the day and never got the call to go our way.

As the defensive coach, first thing you explain their best way to win is to draw the charge running the baseline. Second, they don't have time to shoot. They have to throw it to the hoop and tip it in. Be aggressive to catch the inbounds but you can't jump on top of anyone and don't foul the tipper if he does catch it.

Worst case, we got overtime. Be aggressive, be smart. Repeat.

Unpardonable to let your guy run him over, planted or not. Bottom line: it shouldn't work.

Yes, it's been around a long time. I remember a really good Staples team in the 80's (I think John Riewer was their star) using that play in a regional game to avoid a huge upset. Staples then went on to the state tournament.

Didn't they end up losing to Office Depot in the semifinals?

I believe during the tie up the defender may have crossed that plane.

hnical
I think you are mistaken. It is a technical if the defender reaches across the out of bounds line and slaps or grabs the ball.

Top Bottom