Behavior of coaches is getting way out of hand

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Kudos to both Seth Davis and Jay Bilas for thoughts expressed in the provided link. I'm sick and tired of watching lunatic, micro-managing coaches misbehave on the sidelines. That includes leaving the coaching box all the time and never getting T'd up for it. It's amazing how far these guys go outside of the coaching box with nary a peep from the officials. And that includes our own coach (Pitino) -- who I really like -- doing it all the time as well as Tom Izzo, who along with Bill Self and John Beilein, I respect more than any other coaches in the country.

These guys are out of control and something needs to be done about it. More of them need to behave like Beilein. He gets on the offiicials, too, but he does it with some restraint.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...ico-state-utah-valley-mick-cronin-cincinnati/

It is the same at every level of the sport. Sad

Of course, in the most recent example. TV Teddy tried to pick a fight with Mick Cronin, and went unpunished.

It is the same at every level of the sport. Sad

Not as much in the NBA. Although some coaches still get too far on the court and a few stupid antics (Jason Kidd "spilling" his drink). Much greater appearance of professionalism among NBA coaches.

Of course, in the most recent example. TV Teddy tried to pick a fight with Mick Cronin, and went unpunished.

Agree that Teddy shouldn't have done that, but Cronin was a raving lunatic that entire game. Prior to the incident, too.

Cronin did make a valid point after the game. He asked why is it that some referees are willing to get in the face of a Mick Cronin or a Buzz Williams, but the same doesn't apply for guys like Coach K and Boeheim?

Agree that Teddy shouldn't have done that, but Cronin was a raving lunatic that entire game. Prior to the incident, too. Cronin did make a valid point after the game. He asked why is it that some referees are willing to get in the face of a Mick Cronin or a Buzz Williams, but the same doesn't apply for guys like Coach K and Boeheim?

Those refs weren't thrilled with Boeheim after the Syracuse/Duke game.

Good thread and good points SS.

One thing that really stuck out to me the other night was when watching an Indiana game at Indiana. Crean was on the court(at least partially) almost the whole game. A big part of the problem is the benches(and in some cases the fans) are way too close to the court. The Indiana players could sit in their seats and just extend their legs and their feet would be on the court.

MatthewDickey-20110218172919.jpg

I also caught part of a Vanderbilt game recently. Doesn't need to be that much space however.

3ll.jpg

Disagree with the author on the court storming thing. On the coach's, it seems like it a matter of being willing to punish the coaches with technical fouls. If a coach got a technical every time his foot was even an inch outside of where it is allowed to be, he might not like it, but he will learn to stay in his place very quickly (can't afford to give up 30 free throws that way). Same goes for yelling at the ref. T them up the first time and every time after that, and they will shut up in a hurry.

Or, for a really unconventional idea, what about a hockey style bench with boards? For safety, it would have to be farther away from sideline. However, creating a physical barrier like that makes for a bright line that can easily be punished if the coach tries to jump the boards.

Agree with the author about the court storming thing - nothing good comes from it. I guess I can understand if you just beat the#1 team in the country , but after watching Penn State storm after beating 20-something Ohio State ( who they had already beaten earlier in the season ) it has gotten out of hand.

I expect there to be a significant incident one of these days. My money is on Fran McCaffery being involved.

They just need to make a new rule, not a technical, but award a 1 shot free throw for any time the coach is out of the coaches box. Too many coaches would get thrown out real quick if they enforced the technical rules al of a sudden. This is a less of a punishment and allows refs to not feel bad that they are giving out a technical just for where the coach is standing.

Give a coach 5 'fouls' of going across the line before they are ejected or something. Just an Idea

Tim

They just need to make a new rule, not a technical, but award a 1 shot free throw for any time the coach is out of the coaches box. Too many coaches would get thrown out real quick if they enforced the technical rules al of a sudden. This is a less of a punishment and allows refs to not feel bad that they are giving out a technical just for where the coach is standing.

Give a coach 5 'fouls' of going across the line before they are ejected or something. Just an Idea

I think are on to something. I would say one shot and the ball. Coach is teed up on violation #2.

While it doesn't happen as often in the NBA it seems, this is still one of my favorite examples of a coach doing this.

This is the kind of thing that happens when you allow coaches to be on the court.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/6/17/3093865/erik-spoelstra-successfully-defends-russell-westbrook

Seriously, why don't players just run into these coaches on the floor? Would that not force the refs to make the call?

I know, they would call the player for charging!

Remember, the benches are on the endline at Vandy.

Still plenty of room though. Camera guys are too close. It also pisses me off when a see a floor level camera shot from behind the basket. They're called cheap seats for a reason.

0.jpg

The college game is about coaches, dont believe me, check their salaries. The players are to be used. Message the egos and watch them be the show, coaches love it, or their egos do. So do universities, cheap labor.

Good thread and good points SS.

One thing that really stuck out to me the other night was when watching an Indiana game at Indiana. Crean was on the court(at least partially) almost the whole game. A big part of the problem is the benches(and in some cases the fans) are way too close to the court. The Indiana players could sit in their seats and just extend their legs and their feet would be on the court.

MatthewDickey-20110218172919.jpg

Crean was doing the same thing at the Barn with all that room. There was a few plays where he was only a few feet from one of our guys with the ball.

Crean was doing the same thing at the Barn with all that room. There was a few plays where he was only a few feet from one of our guys with the ball.

Would make for a good chant from the Barnyard.

GET OFF THE COURT!

or

CREAN OFF THE COURT!

Coaching box? do u know where the coaching box is even?? A college coach box goes all the way to the baseline just so u know. So no most coaches are not out of there coaching box.. Also u don't really know how the reffing world works do u. If u think a ref should be giving t's like candy, how many games u think they will be getting down the road.. Coaches have lotsnd lots of say on who gets games in the league college and high school...

Would make for a good chant from the Barnyard.

GET OFF THE COURT!

or

CREAN OFF THE COURT!

That just reminds me too much of the Badger fan I sat next to at the Wisconsin game. Literally every time Pitino so much as put a toe on the court he'd scream "GET OFF THE COURT, PITINO!".

I'm so damn glad we won that game. I couldn't have dealt with that a$$hole had the Badgers won.

Top Bottom