Q&A: Freshman PG Brad Davison Already A Floor Leader, Getting Gophers Interest

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Maple Grove Freshman PG Brad Davison Already A Floor Leader, Getting Gophers Interest
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/356051?referrer_id=388419

Brad Davison, a 6-2 freshman point guard from Maple Grove (MN) High, is considered one of the Minnesota's top players from the Class of 2017. Davison and teammate Reed Nikko recently attended the Gophers/Illini game as guests of Minnesota.

Maple Grove head coach Nick Schroeder has plenty of positives about his leader in points, assists and steals.

"His basketball IQ is off the charts, especially for a freshman. What impresses me about him is he studies the game. He understands the game better than anyone I have coached and to be able to do that as a freshman is impressive. He is a playmaker. He wants the ball. He wants the ball when it is time to score and when it is crunch time. That is pretty rare for a kid to have that confidence and the ability to back it up as a freshman."

Schroeder feels that Davison is working hard to improve his game to play at that next level.

"I think the biggest thing is foot speed. He is very smart, which helps him to take away a little of that foot speed issue. Working on the quickness laterally and that first step is the biggest thing that he needs to work on."

Schroeder said that several schools got interested in Davison after watching him this past summer play AAU basketball.

"He got to play with 17's in Pulley last year and that sparked a lot of interest in people and I assuming that he is going to be doing that again this year, if not the EYBL league. He is starting to get a lot of interest from a lot of big schools."

Gopher Hole recently caught up with Davison to learn the latest on his recruitment and recent visit to Minnesota for the Illinois game.

Gopher Hole: You went to the Gopher game recently. What was that experience like?

Brad Davison: It was my first time ever going to a college game on a visit. It was a lot of fun to be so close to the game and see everything in a closer view. Hear what the coaches were saying was really cool.

Gopher Hole: I know that it is a little bit tough being only a freshman, but what schools are you starting to hear from right now?

Brad Davison: I have one scholarship offer from the University of South Dakota and I have talked to a few others, but only one offer so far.

Gopher Hole: What schools besides South Dakota are you hearing from?

Brad Davison: North Dakota, Northern Iowa< Minnesota and Wisconsin

Gopher Hole: What things are you really focusing on to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Brad Davison: My main goal is to set my teammates up. Distribute the ball and in the second half, be more aggressive. Just try to work on my weaknesses and strengths and get better.

Gopher Hole: Your coach told that you are maybe the smartest player that he has had. When you hear things like that that has to make you feel very proud.

Brad Davison: Yes. I appreciate that. I just love playing. I have been playing my whole life. I got it from my parents because they are both coaches. They have coached their whole life. Both of my sisters play at Northern Iowa, so it kind of runs in the family.

Gopher Hole: Is that something you take pride in being that floor general?

Brad Davison: I like trying to be a step ahead of everyone else on the floor. Try to know where everyone is going and see things before it happens. That is my main goal when I am out there.

Gopher Hole: Where did your parents coach?

Brad Davison: My mom coaches my sisters growing up and my dad coached my other sister growing up. My dad coached me in the winter and summer until last year, which was my first time. Having a parent as my coach with Howard Pulley was a great experience.

Gopher Hole: What is it like having your parents as coaches?

Brad Davison: It was awesome. I don't have a trainer. I just go with my dad every night. It is amazing how you can change one thing in my shot and the next couple will go in. He really knows what he is talking about and that is good.

Gopher Hole: Do you get down to UNI much to watch your sisters much?

Brad Davison: We get down once or twice a week or every other weekend to watch a home game. They just had a big win against Wichita State, so that was fun to watch.

Gopher Hole: Do you play any other sports at Maple Grove?

Brad Davison: I am a quarterback at Maple Grove. I play football and I played baseball until eighth grade, but I stopped playing that, so I could play Howard Pulley and I golf in the summer.

Gopher Hole: Did you play varsity football this year?

Brad Davison: I started on the freshman team and for playoffs, I got moved up to the backup quarterback for sections.

Gopher Hole: Are you planning on playing football next year?

Brad Davison: I'm not sure yet. It kind of depends on how everything works out and if I can play basketball at the same time because football is a big commitment, but I think that I'll end up playing.

Gopher Hole: The Gophers are starting to show you some interest. What would it mean if you had a chance to play for the home state school?

Brad Davison: It would be awesome. I have season tickets right behind the bench with my dad. We go to just about every game and it would pretty cool to be out there playing on that court after watching so many games.

Top Bottom